Roxio Community

DMXLauncher causes Windows Media Center to load!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jong1

Jong1

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 03:07 PM

OK. Bear with me! I didn't believe this at first and it took me a long time to find it. But I have EMC10 on Vista Home Premium (fully patched). I noticed that on DVD insert I was always taken to the Windows Media Center welcome screen. I spent forever trying to alter the Vista autoplay settings to no effect, so I started stopping processes that could be interfering.

I have found with 100% reproducibility that on my system if I stop DMXlauncher autoplay works as per Vista settings. If DMX Launcher is running then Windows Media Center is started whenever a DVD Movie is inserted. It does not matter if you choose to set Cineplayer as the default DVD player or not in Cineplayer's settings.

It seems Cineplayer is incorrectly launching Media Center instead of itself and even does this if it is not set as the default player.

Can any one reproduce or give any hints why this baffling behaviour is occuring?

Thanks,

Jon
Media editing PC: Quad core QX6600 @3.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 8800GTX, Vista Home Premium, and Dell 24" 2407WFP-HC monitor
HTPC: Dual Core E6600 @2.7Ghz, 2GB RAM, HIS IceQ 3 3850, Windows XP Pro, Meedio front-end, TheaterTek video player (most media), PowerDVD Ultra (Blu-ray/HD-DVD), MPC-HC (Quicktime & HD mkv) and Sony 46x2000 TV

#2 brian69420

brian69420

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (Jong1 @ Sep 10 2007, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK. Bear with me! I didn't believe this at first and it took me a long time to find it. But I have EMC10 on Vista Home Premium (fully patched). I noticed that on DVD insert I was always taken to the Windows Media Center welcome screen. I spent forever trying to alter the Vista autoplay settings to no effect, so I started stopping processes that could be interfering.

I have found with 100% reproducibility that on my system if I stop DMXlauncher autoplay works as per Vista settings. If DMX Launcher is running then Windows Media Center is started whenever a DVD Movie is inserted. It does not matter if you choose to set Cineplayer as the default DVD player or not in Cineplayer's settings.

It seems Cineplayer is incorrectly launching Media Center instead of itself and even does this if it is not set as the default player.

Can any one reproduce or give any hints why this baffling behaviour is occuring?

Thanks,

Jon

I was having the same problem with DVDs autoplaying in Windows Media Center on my Dell laptop.  According to some searches using google, DMXLauncher.exe is supposed to be a program called Dell Media Experience.  I still haven't figured out what the program does or why it will install with the installation of Roxio EMC 10.  But after reading your post I decided that I wouldn't be using CinePlayer to watch DVDs on my laptop anyways so I uninstalled it.  After uninstalling it and rebooting DMXLauncher did not load as a background process.  I suggest that if you don't need CinePlayer then just uninstall it.  It is listed as an individual program separate from the EMC 10 Suite.

#3 Jong1

Jong1

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE (brian69420 @ Feb 12 2008, 01:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was having the same problem with DVDs autoplaying in Windows Media Center on my Dell laptop.  According to some searches using google, DMXLauncher.exe is supposed to be a program called Dell Media Experience.  I still haven't figured out what the program does or why it will install with the installation of Roxio EMC 10.  But after reading your post I decided that I wouldn't be using CinePlayer to watch DVDs on my laptop anyways so I uninstalled it.  After uninstalling it and rebooting DMXLauncher did not load as a background process.  I suggest that if you don't need CinePlayer then just uninstall it.  It is listed as an individual program separate from the EMC 10 Suite.
If you do want to keep Cineplayer installed, it is also very easy to stop DMXLauncher from loading on startup. I use "Starter", a freeware startup manager, but there many alternatives.

Jon

Media editing PC: Quad core QX6600 @3.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 8800GTX, Vista Home Premium, and Dell 24" 2407WFP-HC monitor
HTPC: Dual Core E6600 @2.7Ghz, 2GB RAM, HIS IceQ 3 3850, Windows XP Pro, Meedio front-end, TheaterTek video player (most media), PowerDVD Ultra (Blu-ray/HD-DVD), MPC-HC (Quicktime & HD mkv) and Sony 46x2000 TV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users