• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cab81

cab81

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 07:00 PM

When I try to name my CD, the "CD-text window" from the "disc" pull-down menu confirms the new name of the disc, but upon burning, the disc does not get renamed. More puzzling, the name of any CD I try to burn is the name of the last CD I burned in iTunes.  I was successfully using Jam 6 previous to my current Mac OSX 10.4.9, and am also running ProTools 7.  Is there some kind of conflict going on? I used to be able to name my Jam CD's with no problem.

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,603 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:18 PM

If you insert the burned audio CD and choose Disc Info... from Jam's Recorder menu you'll see that the tracks were correctly written to the disc. If you have either Toast 7 or 8 and choose Disc Info... from their Recorder menu you'll also see that the title is there as well.

The problem isn't that the CD Text isn't present, it is that the Mac OS and iTunes don't read CD Text. They see a generic audio CD until information is added in iTunes either via a CDDB download or by entering the information in the iTunes window. At www.dougscripts.com there is an Applescript called CD Text to CD Info that automates the process of transferring the CD Text information to iTunes.

What happens then is when you insert the CD the OS will find a match in its CDInfo database file that's in your user library. What it is looking for is any CD that matches the number of tracks and track lengths of the one you inserted. If there are other CDs that have the same number of tracks and track lengths then it may present the wrong information entered for a different audio CD.

If you are mastering an audio CD that you plan to distribute to others you can upload the album/artist/track information to CDDB so that others will get that information downloaded to the Macs and PCs the first time they insert the disc. Meanwhile the CD Text information will also be on the disc for recognition by CD Players that support CD Text displays.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 cab81

cab81

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:34 AM

to tsantee: many many thanks for both your clear description of the problem and instructions for overcoming it. It worked and I am so grateful. FYI to others: in addition to running the script, make sure that the CD-Text enabler is checked in the prefs of Jam prior to burning. In addition to the iTunes reader problem, my CD-text option somehow got unchecked, perhaps with the recent OS upgrade.

#4 lush1

lush1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE (tsantee @ Sep 25 2007, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you are mastering an audio CD that you plan to distribute to others you can upload the album/artist/track information to CDDB so that others will get that information downloaded to the Macs and PCs the first time they insert the disc. Meanwhile the CD Text information will also be on the disc for recognition by CD Players that support CD Text displays.

How do you upload the information to CDDB.  I have never been able to do it.  There is an option in either Toast or Jam to report track names to CDDB, but mine is grayed out and doesn't work. (sorry I can't remember if it's Toast or Jam, I gave up on it so long ago that I can't remember)

#5 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,603 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (lush1 @ Feb 9 2008, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How do you upload the information to CDDB.  I have never been able to do it.  There is an option in either Toast or Jam to report track names to CDDB, but mine is grayed out and doesn't work. (sorry I can't remember if it's Toast or Jam, I gave up on it so long ago that I can't remember)

After burning the audio CD, eject and reinsert it. The upload to CDDB should be active after doing that.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users