6 replies to this topic

#1 Anglo

Anglo

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:33 AM

I have an avi file which I have successfully encoded and burnt to DVD but not sure how I did it.

Having used EMC8 on PC I thought using toast I had to convert and save my avi file to hard disk as an iso file prior to burning.  Having done this (file>save as disc image) I have got 3 icons on my desktop.  One is a .toast file, one is a .disc file and the other is a My DVD file.  The .toast file and the My DVD file are both the same size (3.6gb) which I would assume is an iso file.(are these referring to the same file or is there 2 x 3.6gb files?)  However when I try to drag these onto the content window to burn, only the My DVD file seems ok.  The other is "...unsupported format and cannot be imported..."

Getting frustrated I decided to drag the avi file across and see if this would burn ok which it did.  I got the message "...multiplexing file..." and in no time I had a finished DVD that will play on ALL DVD players. Does this mean that it automatically encodes etc before burning without making any iso file to save?

So the question I ask is if I drag the My DVD file onto the content window will it burn successfully as above and take the same amount of time?  In principle I have always wanted to copy to hard drive first just in case I need further copies later on.

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,654 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:04 PM

Now you have me confused!

The .disc file is a Toast project file that retains what you've set up in the Toast window. The Toast window just points to wherever those files are located at the time you placed them in the window.

The .toast file is a disc image file the same as an .iso file. In the Finder I have changed the .toast to .iso when I needed to use another application that recognized .iso files. No problem. To burn a .toast or .iso file to DVD you select it using the Image File setting in the Copy window and click the burn button.

The My DVD folder came from a mounted disc image (probably your .toast file). Since you are wanting to burn the content of this to a video DVD it 's easiest to just burn the .toast file using the Copy window. Mounting the disc image does let you preview the content with DVD Player.

You can change the My DVD heading on future projects by clicking that name in the Toast video window and entering something more descriptive.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 Anglo

Anglo

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:39 AM

I think I follow.  I seem to remember that EMC8 involved a steep learning curve also.
Thanks anyway.  smile.gif

#4 gesplus

gesplus

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 06:45 PM

Most of this was covered but here's another explanation.
QUOTE (Anglo @ Sep 27 2007, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does this mean that it automatically encodes etc before burning without making any iso file to save?
Correct. But there is an alternative procedure to get a .toast (.iso) file.

So the question I ask is if I drag the My DVD file onto the content window will it burn successfully as above and take the same amount of time? In principle I have always wanted to copy to hard drive first just in case I need further copies later on.
What you can do is instead of burn, go to the Menu and do a Save as Disc Image. It will save it in a .toast file, which is like a .iso as was mentioned. Then later double clicking the .toast file will launch Toast and you can burn as many copies as you want whenever you want.

Edited by gesplus, 28 September 2007 - 06:47 PM.

#5 Anglo

Anglo

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE (tsantee @ Sep 27 2007, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The .toast file is a disc image file the same as an .iso file. In the Finder I have changed the .toast to .iso when I needed to use another application that recognized .iso files. No problem.

Do you mean that all you do is rename the file extension manually i.e. clicking and holding on the file name?  If this is so, does Toast still recognise the file with .iso extension?

I have spent time looking for the answer in the help files but up to now had no luck.  Thanks for your help.

#6 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,654 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:20 AM

QUOTE (Anglo @ Sep 29 2007, 08:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you mean that all you do is rename the file extension manually i.e. clicking and holding on the file name?  If this is so, does Toast still recognise the file with .iso extension?

I have spent time looking for the answer in the help files but up to now had no luck.  Thanks for your help.

If you need to file to have the .iso extension then just rename it in the Finder. The Finder will ask you to confirm you really want to change the extension to .iso. Toast will still recognize and mount the .iso if you select it with the Image File setting in the Copy window. You also can mount it in the Finder using the Mount It contextual menu (control-click on the file)

I have a LaCie Silverscreen device that connects to my TV. It plays from .iso files so renaming the .toast file works fine for me.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#7 Anglo

Anglo

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE (tsantee @ Sep 29 2007, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you need to file to have the .iso extension then just rename it in the Finder. The Finder will ask you to confirm you really want to change the extension to .iso. Toast will still recognize and mount the .iso if you select it with the Image File setting in the Copy window. You also can mount it in the Finder using the Mount It contextual menu (control-click on the file)

I have a LaCie Silverscreen device that connects to my TV. It plays from .iso files so renaming the .toast file works fine for me.

Finally the penny drops!! Now I see the principle - thanks.
Anglo has now left the building!  smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users