• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 bdbutton

bdbutton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:25 PM

When I press the "disc copier" button,  I get an error message which reads "Disc copier could not detect any supported recorders", etc.  Has anyone had this problem and if so is there a solution?  Thank you.

#2 tbrewst

tbrewst

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,100 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:37 PM

Try this,it's from the support pages:

Using Roxio Assistant:                         Roxio Assistant is designed to correct Engine Initialization                            errors. If Easy CD & DVD Creator's Engine does not                            initialize, the applications in Easy CD & DVD Creator                            will not recognize your recorder.

After running Roxio assistant, you should update Easy                            CD & DVD Creator as described above in "Updating                            Your Software to the Latest Version:".

• RoxAssist.exe is located at:
                                 C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\Upgrade\RoxAssist.exe
                                 (Note: If you have modified the installation of Windows                              or Easy CD & DVD Creator, the file may be located                              in a different location.)
  • After running this program you should receive the                              message "Engine initialized successfully with                              full recorder support".
  • If you do not receive the message, update your                              Virus software and then check and clean your system                              for viruses. After the removal of any viruses, uninstall                              and then reinstall Easy CD & DVD Creator (use                              "Add Remove Programs" in "Control Panel".)
                         Roxio Assistant: In some instances Roxio Assistant                            may require the installation CD, not allowing you to                            "Cancel" with out it. In this case you will                            need to insert the Easy CD & DVD Creator install                            disc into your drive so that Roxio Assistant will have                            access to needed files.

CD or DVD drive Not Recognized:

• Run Roxio assistant as described above.
  • Update Easy CD and DVD Creator as described above.
  • Support for Newer Recorders: Your CD or DVD drive                              may be newer than the drives Easy CD & DVD Creator                              6 already supports. You can add support for newer                              drives by using the Roxio Updater. You may also check                              our online database for supported drives at: <a href="http://rpp.roxio.com...pported_drives" class="bodyLink">http://rpp.roxio.com...upported_drives
  • Is Drag-to-Disc Interfering: You may not be able                              to use your burner (CD/DVD recorder), or the burner                              may not be recognized if it is already being used                              by another Easy CD & DVD Creator application (for                              example, Drag-to-Disc).
                         Drag-to-Disc uses formatted discs, Easy CD & DVD                            Creator's: Creator Classic, AudioCentral, Disc Copier,                            PhotoSuite, and DVD Builder all need blank unformatted                            discs. Remove the formatted disc and replace it with                            a blank, unformatted disc.

Here are some behaviors that indicate the disc in the                            burner is a formatted disc:

• Disc Copier will say "Reserved by Roxio Drag-to-Disc                              Kernel
  • AudioCentral will say "The device . . . Has                              been reserved by another application..."
  • PhotoSuite will not allow you to select "Record"                              when making a VCD
  • DVD Builder will only allow you to "Save Project                              as Image File on Hard Disk"

"Because I’m happy
Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof
Because I’m happy
Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth
Because I’m happy
Clap along if you know what happiness is to you
Because I’m happy
Clap along if you feel like that’s what you wanna do"

Terry

64 bitWindows 8.1 OS
AMD FX-8320 8 core 3.5Ghz processor with Arctic Freezer 64 Pro cooling fan
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 AM3+ motherboard
Galaxy  GeForce GTX 550 Ti video card with 1Gb memory
8Gb G Skill Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 RAM
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD drive
1Tb Hitachi SATA hard drive
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray drive
Lite-On iHAS224-06 SATA DVD drive
Rosewill Destroyer case
Cambridge Soundworks THX 5.1 speaker system
Onboard Realtek HD audio
I-inc iH-252HPB 25" widescreen monitor connected via HDMI
Samsung 2525W Laser Printer

#3 dave8647

dave8647

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 07:37 PM

I get the same problem. Also, when using Creator Classic, there is no default recorder and nothing is available in the dropdown list. The drive (LiteOn LDW-411S) is recognized by the PC and will play DVDs, music CDs and read data CDs. I made sure the drive had the latest firmware and the Roxio software and drive data are all up to date, and the LDW-411S is a supported drive.

When I run the Roxio Assistant I get: Roxio Assistant ran sucessfully. Ret Code: TBL

I'm guessing that means trouble, but exactly what I don't know.

#4 a1a88775

a1a88775

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:41 PM

I got the exact same problem!! what is going on it's starting to look like roxios way to get u to upgrade to the latest vesion weather u want to ore not?? The best part is that drag to disk works and see's the drives but no drived when burning or coying. I am running onecare live beata could this be the problem???

View Postdave8647, on Mar 4 2006, 07:37 PM, said:

I get the same problem. Also, when using Creator Classic, there is no default recorder and nothing is available in the dropdown list. The drive (LiteOn LDW-411S) is recognized by the PC and will play DVDs, music CDs and read data CDs. I made sure the drive had the latest firmware and the Roxio software and drive data are all up to date, and the LDW-411S is a supported drive.

When I run the Roxio Assistant I get: Roxio Assistant ran sucessfully. Ret Code: TBL

I'm guessing that means trouble, but exactly what I don't know.

Edited by a1a88775, 15 March 2006 - 08:46 PM.

#5 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:12 AM

View Posta1a88775, on Mar 15 2006, 08:41 PM, said:

I got the exact same problem!! what is going on it's starting to look like roxios way to get u to upgrade to the latest vesion weather u want to ore not?? The best part is that drag to disk works and see's the drives but no drived when burning or coying. I am running onecare live beata could this be the problem???
ala88775 and dave8647 -

I think what you MEANT to say is you have the same symptoms - unless you have the exact same setup (Operating System, Burner id string, Program Version, etc) as the OP.

I assume you are merely complaining, or you would have given the information (detailed in the FREQUENT ANSWERS post pinned to the top of the board) that we would need to actually try to answer the question.

Lynn

Edited by lynn98109, 16 March 2006 - 10:14 AM.

#6 ironwoman22

ironwoman22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 11:39 AM

So, is there a resolution to this problem? I tried everything listed in the previous posts and like Dave I get the Ret Code: TBL.  Now what?
:)

#7 dancolestock

dancolestock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:02 AM

There's another ongoing thread that appears to be the same topic/problem
(the "Ret Code: TBL" message during installation is a common symptom):

http://forums.suppor...findpost&p=5794

Unfortunately, no one has reported back yet that they have found a solution ... DC

And here:

http://meetholland.c...age/401409.aspx

Lots more mentions of symptoms on boards.support.roxio.com (listed in
a Google search, but I can't access any of the posts)  DC

http://boards.suppor...nst_upd&page=16
http://www.google.co.....et Code: TBL"

#8 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:17 AM

View Postdancolestock, on Mar 24 2006, 09:02 AM, said:

There's another ongoing thread that appears to be the same topic/problem
(the "Ret Code: TBL" message during installation is a common symptom):

http://forums.suppor...findpost&p=5794

Unfortunately, no one has reported back yet that they have found a solution ... DC

And here:

http://meetholland.c...age/401409.aspx

Lots more mentions of symptoms on boards.support.roxio.com (listed in
a Google search, but I can't access any of the posts)  DC

http://boards.suppor...nst_upd&page=16
http://www.google.co.....et Code: TBL"

Those are from the Forums at the old site - the transfer was made in January, and nothing was carried over.  To access the specific post referenced, use google's "cached page" feature.

Lynn

#9 dancolestock

dancolestock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:42 AM

Thanks, I did that already. Unfortunately, Google only gives access
to a few of the many posts listed on the Threads pages, and all the
ones I could read were requests for help with similar symptoms -
no solutions. If Google's "cached page" feature is meant to provide
full access to the old site, there's a problem (or I'm not using Google
as the web hosts intended). I was hoping that someone in the
"inner circle" with full access could help out with our problem.

Question:  If I have an "unclosed" CD-R in the burner (which
Drag-to-Disc recognizes?) while I am installing ECD&DVDC6 and
all the updates, could that be causing the install problem? I made
a CD-R copy of my original software CD and have been using that
for the installs.  DC

#10 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:24 AM

View Postdancolestock, on Mar 24 2006, 09:42 AM, said:

Thanks, I did that already. Unfortunately, Google only gives access
to a few of the many posts listed on the Threads pages, and all the
ones I could read were requests for help with similar symptoms -
no solutions. If Google's "cached page" feature is meant to provide
full access to the old site, there's a problem (or I'm not using Google
as the web hosts intended). I was hoping that someone in the
"inner circle" with full access could help out with our problem.

Question:  If I have an "unclosed" CD-R in the burner (which
Drag-to-Disc recognizes?) while I am installing ECD&DVDC6 and
all the updates, could that be causing the install problem? I made
a CD-R copy of my original software CD and have been using that
for the installs.  DC

True, the old boards were in outline format.  So I can't speak to that part of it.

As to the formatted CD-R, are you aware that the primary use of Packet-Writing (Drag2Disc, DirectCD, Nero's InCD, Sonic' DLA, etc) is for permantly losing the data?  The data-loss can be sped up with CD-RW.

I am not an expert on installation, but I would certainly suspect it is a problem having it in there during an install.  It is also possible your CD-R copy is not identical to the original install CD, for whatever reason.

I'd suggest if you want short-term storage, use a Flash drive (aka Thumb / Jump / Pen / Keychain drive).

For long-term storage, I'd suggest CD-R with a Sessions-based program, such as Classic Creator, or the WinXP built-in burnilng program (which works as drag-and-drop but is actually Sessions).

Lynn

#11 dancolestock

dancolestock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:26 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I uninstalled and then attempted once more to reinstall
Roxio ECD&DVDC v6 - this time with Spybot 1.4 and
Windows Defender disabled and no CD-R in the burner ...
no difference whatsoever - sigh -  Here is more detail
in case anyone is interested:

The original version of ECD&DVDC v6 installs smoothly
and works properly. The problem appears after an attempt
to install the latest Engine update (Engine_v6.2.0.134).
After executing this file, I reboot as instructed, and then
(after the reboot and login) I get the following message:

"Roxio Assistant has updated your system registry.
Press OK to reboot now or Cancel to reboot later."

... so I <reboot> and login again, only to get ...

"Roxio Assistant has updated your system registry.
Press OK to reboot now or Cancel to reboot later."

... and shortly afterwards ...

"Roxio Assistant ran successfully. Ret Code: TBL"

After this occurs, any attempt to use Disc Copier gives:
"Disc Copier could not detect any supported recorders.
Please ensure your recorder is properly connected.
If the problem persists, please re-install ECD&DVDC ... "

After this Ret Code appears, no amount of tweaking or
fussing will make the ECD&DVDC utilities recognize the
system burner. However, I had created a Restore point
and was able to successfully back out the install with
Windows Restore.

I hope this info is helpful. Any other suggestions? You
can't install the other updates without the Engine update,
so I'm stuck running the old version 6 ...  DC

#12 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 04:06 PM

Duplicate Post - answered in V.6 Installation/Update Forum thread

Lynn

#13 ayuge

ayuge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 12:09 AM

I've come across the error message, "Disc copier could not detect any supported recorders." on a couple of different computers.  It appears to be an upper and lower filter issue in the Registry.  You can try deleting them manually but Roxio has a couple of utility programs that will delete them for you.  See this page: http://www.roxio.com...eez000005.jhtml

There are two similar but different utilities.  One is for if you unistalled Roxio and the other is for if you still have Roxio installed.  Anyway, it has worked for me on two different PC's.

#14 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 02:41 AM

View Postayuge, on Mar 25 2006, 12:09 AM, said:

I've come across the error message, "Disc copier could not detect any supported recorders." on a couple of different computers.  It appears to be an upper and lower filter issue in the Registry.  You can try deleting them manually but Roxio has a couple of utility programs that will delete them for you.  See this page: http://www.roxio.com...eez000005.jhtml

There are two similar but different utilities.  One is for if you unistalled Roxio and the other is for if you still have Roxio installed.  Anyway, it has worked for me on two different PC's.

The filters solution applies to "missing burners" when roxizap is used in WinXP without first doing an add/remove.

If it is not the correct solution - well, you DID back up the registry just in case, didn't you?  Messing with the registry can cause major problems if it's the incorrect solution.

Lynn

Edited by lynn98109, 25 March 2006 - 03:44 AM.

#15 ayuge

ayuge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 03:37 AM

Well, in my case roxiozap was not used on either machine.  I didn't even know about it.  Easy CD and DVD Creator 6 was uninstalled using Add/Remove Programs but reinstalled right after.  For one machine I did the cycle of install/uninstall a few times.

I could be wrong but I think I ran across the link to the utilities on one of these Roxio forums about five months ago but when I came back recently couldn't find the thread.  It was too old.  However, I finally located the utility myself after a bit of searching.

The first time this problem occurred for me was five months ago on a new build and before I had completed installing all of my initial software.  I actually had two problems.  The other problem was my optical drive reverting from DMA to PIO mode but I fixed that.  Anyway, when I ran the Roxio utility I didn't back up my registry but it was a brand new build with no data and few programs on it at the time.  It fixed my problem of Roxio not finding any supported DVD or CD recorder.  So recently when I ran into the same message with another machine, I ran the utility again and again the problem was fixed.

And BTW, I did buy two separate copies of Roxio in case anyone was wondering.  So, for what it's worth, that's what worked for me.  Perhaps there was something else going on that I wasn't aware of.  If it is the improper solution, then nevermind.

#16 edwardgood

edwardgood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 08:55 PM

I had the same symptom (Ret Code: TBL) with LDS-411S. I ran the Roxio's utility and it fixed the problem. It looks like that this utility can fix more than people think.

#17 kbehel

kbehel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:35 AM

I've tried all of the above and I still can't get it to work. It will work after the first re-install and reboot, but then Roxio's software does an automatic update and wants another reboot. If I don't reboot I can use the burner. After the reboot, it doesn't see the burner. I've done this muliple times (uninstall, roxiozap, reinstall) always the same.

I had just reinstalled my XP system from scratch after using CD Creator6 and my burner for 2 years, so I know its not my hardware. Also Drag to disc still sees the burner fine.

Did anyone get an answer from support or find a fix (besided buying Nero?)

thanks,
Kevin

#18 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:51 AM

View Postkbehel, on Apr 24 2006, 05:35 AM, said:

I've tried all of the above and I still can't get it to work. It will work after the first re-install and reboot, but then Roxio's software does an automatic update and wants another reboot. If I don't reboot I can use the burner. After the reboot, it doesn't see the burner. I've done this muliple times (uninstall, roxiozap, reinstall) always the same.

I had just reinstalled my XP system from scratch after using CD Creator6 and my burner for 2 years, so I know its not my hardware. Also Drag to disc still sees the burner fine.

Did anyone get an answer from support or find a fix (besided buying Nero?)

thanks,
Kevin
Altho you didn't say so, I have a hunch you have formatted a disc with Drag2Disc and have it in the burner.  If so, remove the disc from the burner and carefully put it somewhere else, such as the trash can.

If that solves the problem, I'd suggest you do a selective uninstall to get rid of Drag2Disc, since its primary use is to permantly lose files.  This also aplies to Nero's InCD, Sonic's DLA, and any other software that formats optical media for Packet-Writing.

To use the reliable programs in the suite, use a BLANK blank, directly out of the package or off the spindle.

Lynn

#19 jschulteis

jschulteis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:03 AM

Hi kids,

Say,  I also had the error "...could not detect recorder" yesterday.  I ran the registry fix suggested by ayuge and had the same positive results as experienced by edwardgood.  Works like a charm now!

And, just an FYI, I know the fix was meant to apply to a missing drive in Windows. However, my drive showed up fine in Windows and the drive worked fine with XP's built-in burner.  Still works fine with both now.

If you are worried about the registry crashing, then please do back up all first.

#20 mcmaster41

mcmaster41

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 12:12 PM

[Sorry, but I posted this in the wrong place - now moved here.]

Howdy!

I just wanted to let you folks know of a "work-around" that worked for me.

What I did was uninstall then reinstall the program. Then run the "repair" function twice in a row without rebooting. (I used the "run" command from the start button and ran "setup" from the CD.) I then rebooted and when it asked me I told it that I did not want to reboot, yet again, I just clicked the cancel button.

After I did that, it "found" my CD-writer and DVD-writer, no problem.    :)

Hope this helps!

Michael

Edited by mcmaster41, 07 May 2006 - 12:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users