afalty

ONLINE TUTORIALS

Question

Hi,

Yesterday I installed the #10 software. Now I want to learn how to use it. I have just spent the last two hours online trying to find the tutorials to do so as the book suggested.

Would someone please reply with the correct path to the tutorial section?

It would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your help in advance.

regards,

al

12 answers to this question

You can find tutorials in the Tips and Tricks section of Easy Media Creator 9. They are still applicable for programs common to version 9 and 10 such as Videowave and MyDVD.

If you go to the EMC10 page of the Roxio website (roxio.com), it has two tutorials at this time on creating slideshow and the use of CineMagic.

Edited by malatekid

I'd be interested in writing some 'getting started' tutorials. A relative is going to start a website soon (probably by the end of the year) and asked me to write some content for it. Easy Media Creator beginner tutorials would fit in well (it's a family oriented project). There is so much information in the forums; I could compile and organize a lot of it into easily navigable, step-by-step how-to's -- from a user's perspective. Of course, that's as long as I can link visitors back to these forums for the advanced creative and technical expertise of the gurus :)

Any thoughts?

karri

eta: I have V9, but I imagine it's not so different from 10?

Edited by karri

Very enterprising of you and I'm sure many would benefit greatly. Have you looked at some of the how to videos that sknis has made?

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=15528

Another set of good animated tutorials, not for EMC, but for Paintshop pro might give you some ideas (these require Quicktime):

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pag...14693&lc=en

Very enterprising of you and I'm sure many would benefit greatly. Have you looked at some of the how to videos that sknis has made?

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=15528

Yes, thanks to sknis' video tutorials this is how I got up to speed so quickly :) My tutorials would start out very basic, as I am no where near the level of expertise of sknis and the other gurus. I can also compile and reorganize some of the already great information here on the boards into a more linear format. First, do this, then that, etc.

Another set of good animated tutorials, not for EMC, but for Paintshop pro might give you some ideas (these require Quicktime):

I will check these out, thanks!

I went through some of the tutorials in that link -- thanks so much! This will be a great resource. I had thought about presenting the tutorials in html format, but I have a copy of BB Flashback somewhere. I can dig it out and give that a try. I only used it once previously, a while back. I didn't know about reducing file sizes then, and a lot of peopel were still on dial up, so my effort got very little viewing. I think it can output to Flash, though, which most people should be able to view, no? I am not familiar with using Quicktime, (I just have the player) but I would want to use whatever format would be accessible to most viewers.

Thanks again! :)

I went through some of the tutorials in that link -- thanks so much! This will be a great resource. I had thought about presenting the tutorials in html format, but I have a copy of BB Flashback somewhere. I can dig it out and give that a try. I only used it once previously, a while back. I didn't know about reducing file sizes then, and a lot of peopel were still on dial up, so my effort got very little viewing. I think it can output to Flash, though, which most people should be able to view, no? I am not familiar with using Quicktime, (I just have the player) but I would want to use whatever format would be accessible to most viewers.

Thanks again! :)

IMHO, low or medium quality WMV. Quick to download and very viewable in smaller screens but not as good full screen mode.

If you looked at mine, you'll notice that they are all less than 2 minutes long. It took a lot of thought, pre-setup and editing to get the balance between download time and making sure that the important information was included.

I used Snag-It to do the screen capture -- some at 15 frames per second and some at 30 fps captured as AVI. I edited the AVI files in VideoWave to add the text. I could have added narration but like many people I don't like my speaking voice.

Quicktime wouldn't compress the files enough nor would any of the Quicktime type file compression codecs.

Edited by sknis

I didn't mean to suggest that you should use Quicktime format. I linked to those PSP tutorials only for you to see the design of the tutorials.

IMHO, low or medium quality WMV. Quick to download and very viewable in smaller screens but not as good full screen mode.

If you looked at mine, you'll notice that they are all less than 2 minutes long. It took a lot of thought, pre-setup and editing to get the balance between download time and making sure that the important information was included.

I used Snag-It to do the screen capture -- some at 15 frames per second and some at 30 fps captured as AVI. I edited the AVI files in VideoWave to add the text. I could have added narration but like many people I don't like my speaking voice.

Quicktime wouldn't compress the files enough nor would any of the Quicktime type file compression codecs.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions sknis. It sounds like I have my work cut out for me and have some research to do. I will download the trial version of SnagIt and give it a try. Two minutes will be tough, but I understand your point, so I will give it a go. Maybe if I try adding voice, it might squeeze a little more information into a shorter amount of time. I will try to produce a sample in both wmv and swf for comparison.

Thanks again for all the help!

I didn't mean to suggest that you should use Quicktime format. I linked to those PSP tutorials only for you to see the design of the tutorials.

Oh yes of course, I am sorry I was unclear. Those tutorials are a perfect reference, and I so appreciate you posting the link. I understood that was your intention; having those tutorials as a design reference will be a huge asset for me and I really appreciate your help! I have a little confusion about file formats and thats why I added the question about the Quicktime movie, just in case I was headed in the wrong direction with Flash or Windows Media formats. Again, thanks so much!

I have been trying to access the tutorials. I get to the link page listing the tutorials, but only get a blank screen when selecting any of them. I have WMP11.

I have been trying to access the tutorials. I get to the link page listing the tutorials, but only get a blank screen when selecting any of them. I have WMP11.

If you mean the link to the Corel Paintshop pro tutorials that I posted (as examples of nice tutorials, not tutorials for Roxio EMC 10), they are Quicktime movies and will not play in WMP.

As for the blank page, that is possibly because you have to have Paintshop pro XI installed, not sure (I have now got version X2 installed, just checked: I now also get the blank popup page).

However, if you have Quicktime player try this work around:

Open Quicktime player, file menu, Open URL; copy the URL at the top of the blank screen into the Quicktime box.

For example, for the first one, the URL is

http://www.corel.com/akdlm/6763/downloads/PaintShopPro/XI/lynda/01_01_interface_100k.mov

Once you've got that URL, you only need to change the last part for one of the other movies.

Click OK. It will connect and play. If you want to keep the movie, after it has all downloaded, you should find it in your Temporary Internet files folder as a .mov file with the name as at the end of the URL (sort by size to find it quickly), right click, copy, and paste into any convenient folder. You can then replay off line whenever you want.

Edited by jeanrosenfeld