golinux

My burner just died!

Question

My trusty (well maybe not so trusty LOL!) Pioneer 111D just bit the dust. It's clicking and clanking, the light is on and then it hangs. It won't read or boot in Linux or XP. Methinks it's a goner.

So what should I be looking for as a replacement? I'm headed into town tomorrow so hopefully y'all will have some ideas before I leave in the morning. Not interested in Bluray or hi-def stuff. Just vanilla mpg2, video ISOs and data file stuff.

Thanks for your expertise.

30 answers to this question

My trusty (well maybe not so trusty LOL!) Pioneer 111D just bit the dust. It's clicking and clanking, the light is on and then it hangs. It won't read or boot in Linux or XP. Methinks it's a goner.

So what should I be looking for as a replacement? I'm headed into town tomorrow so hopefully y'all will have some ideas before I leave in the morning. Not interested in Bluray or hi-def stuff. Just vanilla mpg2, video ISOs and data file stuff.

I have had great luck with both Plextor and Lite-On. I find Lite-On to be noisier than most drives.

Just my 2 cents.

Since BenQ is gone, I would get a Lite-on or, in your case, another Pioneer. Plextor is still good, but they are higher priced.

This ought to keep you busy reading for the evening. :)

Reviews

The Benq is not across the pond yet. :angry2:

Newegg should have a better selection than "town" will have.

Plextor, Lite-On, Pioneer, LG, Samsung, Sony NEC Optiarc .....

cd ;)

As I have had all of these over the past few years.

Lite-on, Samsung, or Sony in that order.

What model #'s of Sony, marlin?

cd

Just as well add my choices---I have used most of the ones mentioned over the years and first, I would agree with Paul that Lite-On is the noisiest. But for the past few years I have stuck with either Asus or LG when I buy for most of my custom builds. And I definitely agree with cd that "newegg.com" is a great place to purchase from. "Mwave.com" and "provantage.com" many times have some great bargins as well.

Frank...

Frank, add ZipZoomfly and TigerDirect to that list.

I have bought from all five.

cd

What model #'s of Sony, marlin?

cd

I had the DRU-820A, DRU-830A. And other earlier. They now have the DRU-840A, which is a 20X. As far as the Optiarcs, I have really not read anything good about them. Previously when I was looking at them on Newegg, they were mentioning that in general, they worked but there seemed to be a total lack of support. No firmware upgrades, etc. I just took a look at their support section, and the seem to have updates now. They even list a Blu-Ray drive. I believe basically they are copies of the Sony drives, and whoever makes them for Sony.

The main reason I got away from the Sony's is that they are IDE, and not SATA.

Frank, add ZipZoomfly and TigerDirect to that list.

I have bought from all five.

cd

Take a look at www.resellerratings.com for reviews of the different companies. I have dealt with TigerDirect, Newegg, Rima, ISI Tecnologies (they are small and have limited products, but a good company), ZipZoomFly, and some others. Of those only only ZipZoomFly will I never deal with again. I ordered stuff they stated was in stock, which wasn't, charged my account immediately, and took over 2 weeks till the products were shipped. Every other company I deal with waits to charge until the product is shipped.

The reseller ratings site is a good bell weather of the companies. You will notice Newegg rated very highly, same for Rima.

Whaddya'll think of this drive?

I've got nothing bad to say but since it's the weekend, if you can wait, maybe your local stores will have even better prices. Check the Sunday circulars and see what is available. It won't hurt since if you ordered today or this weekend, they can't ship until Monday at the earliest. Why not wait until then and see what may pop up?

I had a Pioneer a couple of years ago. I wasn't impressed. Would rather have this one.

I backed away from that when I saw:

Compatibility - MS-Windows 2000 / XP

Think Ubuntu can handle it?

I've got nothing bad to say but since it's the weekend, if you can wait, maybe your local stores will have even better prices. Check the Sunday circulars and see what is available. It won't hurt since if you ordered today or this weekend, they can't ship until Monday at the earliest. Why not wait until then and see what may pop up?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'll go scrounge around Fry's , Altex, Best Buy etc. tomorrow.

Circulars? Haven't touched a newspaper since . . . . well I can't remember the last time. :lol:

I backed away from that when I saw:

Compatibility - MS-Windows 2000 / XP

Think Ubuntu can handle it?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'll go scrounge around Fry's , Altex, Best Buy etc. tomorrow.

Circulars? Haven't touched a newspaper since . . . . well I can't remember the last time. :lol:

It's ok, you're allowed to read them. And you don't even have to believe what they print. Think of it as entertainment. I read it because it's the only way I realize I'm actually not as stupid as I thought I was. (no comments on that please)

I had the DRU-820A, DRU-830A. And other earlier. They now have the DRU-840A, which is a 20X. As far as the Optiarcs, I have really not read anything good about them. Previously when I was looking at them on Newegg, they were mentioning that in general, they worked but there seemed to be a total lack of support. No firmware upgrades, etc. I just took a look at their support section, and the seem to have updates now. They even list a Blu-Ray drive. I believe basically they are copies of the Sony drives, and whoever makes them for Sony.

Take a look at www.resellerratings.com for reviews of the different companies. I have dealt with TigerDirect, Newegg, Rima, ISI Tecnologies (they are small and have limited products, but a good company), ZipZoomFly, and some others. Of those only only ZipZoomFly will I never deal with again. I ordered stuff they stated was in stock, which wasn't, charged my account immediately, and took over 2 weeks till the products were shipped. Every other company I deal with waits to charge until the product is shipped.

The reseller ratings site is a good bell weather of the companies. You will notice Newegg rated very highly, same for Rima.

I have never had problems with ZipZoomFly, all the way back to when they were Google Gear.

I just got a 24" widescreen Samsung monitor from Newegg, and they charged my card as soon as I placed my order. That is the first time, in all my years of dealing with Newegg, that the did charge my card right away. Well, at least it is the first time as far as I can remember.

Sony DRU-820A (Benq DW1670 clone)

Sony DRU-830A Samsung (SH-S182D clone)

The Sony 810A and Sony 810A-R were the best drives, (Benq 1640-Benq 1650 clone)

Benq 1640 (Sony 810A) Benq 1650 (Sony 810A-R) based on the Philips Nexperia chipset.

Chipset Information

Sony has switched chipset manufacturers, yet again; this time, using not only the Philips Nexperia chipset with the PNX7860E recording engine and TZA1047HL analog pre-processor, which we found in the BenQ DW1640A as well as the Plextor PX-740A, but also the exact same circuit layout. The only difference between the Sony and the other two is the buffer memory. Sony uses ESMT (Elite Semiconductor Memory Technology) chips in the DRU-810A.

Marlin I have heard good things about Samsung Drives. I had a bad experience with the Samsung 841 upconverting DVD Player, I do have Samsung LCD monitors and like them.

I have a closet full of Plextors , Benq, and the Sony Benq clones! Enough to leave the grandchildren a drive or two when I'm gone. They will just need a mb that supports IDE. :lol:

cd B)

I have a closet full of Plextors , Benq, and the Sony Benq clones! Enough to leave the grandchildren a drive or two when I'm gone. They will just need a mb that supports IDE. :lol:

cd B)

Wanna part with one or two?

Those are all online now! Get my Sunday morning fix online. ;)

Marlin I have heard good things about Samsung Drives. I had a bad experience with the Samsung 841 upconverting DVD Player, I do have Samsung LCD monitors and like them.

cd B)

The Samsung drives are starting to get good reviews, so I will be looking at those, down the line.

As far as the Samsung monitors, I am extremely pleased with the one that I got. It is a whole new world for me, when I use AutoCad.

I just got a 24" widescreen Samsung monitor from Newegg, and they charged my card as soon as I placed my order. That is the first time, in all my years of dealing with Newegg, that the did charge my card right away. Well, at least it is the first time as far as I can remember.

Are you sure it wasn't just a preliminary post. With all except ZZF, I would see the charge as a pending charge and after a few days if the item was not shipped due to back order, the charge would drop off. Once shipped it would show up again. Companies will send the preliminary to verify you have the funds as a place holder. The bank/CC company will show these as pending or incoming transactions for a period of 3-5 days. Then if the real trans does not come through, drop it. This is especially noticeable on check card purchases.

As far as Samsung, other than the hard drives and DVD burners, I do not have any other products. No problem with either, just "upgraded" to the Lite-Ons.

Edited by marlinsinger

Are you sure it wasn't just a preliminary post. With all except ZZF, I would see the charge as a pending charge and after a few days if the item was not shipped due to back order, the charge would drop off. Once shipped it would show up again. Companies will send the preliminary to verify you have the funds as a place holder. The bank/CC company will show these as pending or incoming transactions for a period of 3-5 days. Then if the real trans does not come through, drop it. This is especially noticeable on check card purchases.

As far as Samsung, other than the hard drives and DVD burners, I do not have any other products. No problem with either, just "upgraded" to the Lite-Ons.

Newegg sent 1 e-mail confirming my order, and this one was sent about 3 minutes later:

Your Newegg.com sales order has been successfully charged to your credit/debit card and order verification is now complete.

Nothing about pending.

Newegg sent 1 e-mail confirming my order, and this one was sent about 3 minutes later:

Your Newegg.com sales order has been successfully charged to your credit/debit card and order verification is now complete.

Nothing about pending.

I think that means the LCD was in stock and "order verification is now complete", credit card charged item shipped done deal.

How long form then to delivery?

Wanna part with one or two?

The Sony clone, if you look hard and pay a little more, can still be found today.

cd

I think that means the LCD was in stock and "order verification is now complete", credit card charged item shipped done deal.

How long form then to delivery?

The Sony clone, if you look hard and pay a little more, can still be found today.

cd

It was free, 3-day delivery, and it did get here in 3 days. Not bad at all.

Nothing about pending.

You will find the pending on your credit card or bank site. As an example, with my credit card, it will show in the balance the charge, but will also show it under a pending tag. Once it truly comes through, it is removed from the pending and listed under the charges from whoever. On my banking site, it will show the charge against my account, but no real info until the actual charge comes through, which may be 3-4 days later.

You will find the pending on your credit card or bank site. As an example, with my credit card, it will show in the balance the charge, but will also show it under a pending tag. Once it truly comes through, it is removed from the pending and listed under the charges from whoever. On my banking site, it will show the charge against my account, but no real info until the actual charge comes through, which may be 3-4 days later.

That could be the case for me, too. I haven't ever checked.