golinux

My burner just died!

Question

My trusty (well maybe not so trusty LOL!) Pioneer 111D just bit the dust. It's clicking and clanking, the light is on and then it hangs. It won't read or boot in Linux or XP. Methinks it's a goner.

So what should I be looking for as a replacement? I'm headed into town tomorrow so hopefully y'all will have some ideas before I leave in the morning. Not interested in Bluray or hi-def stuff. Just vanilla mpg2, video ISOs and data file stuff.

Thanks for your expertise.

30 answers to this question

Guest ml
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'll go scrounge around Fry's , Altex, Best Buy etc. tomorrow.

Circulars? Haven't touched a newspaper since . . . . well I can't remember the last time. :lol:

I still get the newspaper, but for most of my electronic purchases, I still let my fingers do the walking.....

ONLINE.

All the major stores have their weekly specials in online circulars that look just like the ones in the newspaper.

In fact, sometimes the only way to find their specials is to walk in with the information. I had to buy a laptop for a teen on her way to college and they didn't have ANY indication that the computer was even sold in the store. With model number in hand, the sales person said they had lots in the store. They just didn't put them on the shelf because they were on sale. :glare:

edit..... Good buy. My only problem with Fry's is that I usually end up 'browsing' for hours.

Edited by ml

This is what I ended up getting. It was on sale at Fry's for $45 plus there is a $15 rebate so final cost (rebate aggravation not included) is about $30. I'll pop it in after I've recovered from the trip . . . maybe not till tomorrow.

Good for you...

I have had very good luck with Pioneer and the support is marvelous (in regards to firmware updates and so on). Over the years, I have had several Pioneer drives. I replaced them because of technology updates, not because one failed.

I think I have a closet full of older drives that all still work. Maybe time for the garage sale.

What color did you get?

What color did you get?

Black, of course. I have unpacked it and it is indeed a 112D. I liked the 111D a lot - it burned many video DVDs. Funny thing is I haven't been using it much at all lately. I do kind of remember that the last few times I popped a disk in, it took a while to load. Must have been on its way out. Nothing lasts forever . . .

Black, of course. I have unpacked it and it is indeed a 112D. I liked the 111D a lot - it burned many video DVDs. Funny thing is I haven't been using it much at all lately. I do kind of remember that the last few times I popped a disk in, it took a while to load. Must have been on its way out. Nothing lasts forever . . .

You did make a good choice. Burn to your heart's content. And make sure that you get the latests firmware. Pioneer does update more often than other burners that I have used.