• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Gill Gripper

Gill Gripper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:16 AM

I have burned several VCDs and SVCDs using Roxio 7 in the past and have never had a problem with them playing in my set top DVD player.  Now I burned a few DVDs in Roxio 10 (4.7G) and neither will play in my set top DVD player.  The DVDs, however, do play in other DVD players.  My DVD player isn't too old (maybe a year and a half), so I don't know why it won't play.  All I get is a black screen and the unit claims that a DVD is loaded, but I get no menu screen and when I click play or any other buttons, nothing happens.  Before I burn any more DVDs, can someone tell me what might be the cause of this?  This sort of thing used to happen when I burned VCDs because the DVD player couldn't play the format, but these are being burned in DVD format.  Any suggestions before I just go get a newer DVD player?  Thanks.

#2 ggrussell

ggrussell

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,941 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE (Gill Gripper @ Oct 3 2007, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The DVDs, however, do play in other DVD players.
That shows that the disc was burned correctly.  Check the manual for your DVD player.  There is usually a list of compatible blank disc.  DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD+DL adn DVD-DL, etc.  Even if the player is compatible with ALL those options, there could still be a compatiblity issue with the brand you are using.  Cheap blanks are cheap for a reason. Try a different brand and/or a different type (minus vs plus).  When you find a brand that works, stick with it.
Intel i7 4770k, 16GB 2400, LG 47" 3D TV, Two Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD, Hitachi 1TB HD, WD 3TB external USB3, LiteOn iHBS112 Bluray, LG WH14NS40 Bluray, ATI HD7870, Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z5500 THX certified 5.1 speakers, Epson 4490 scanner, Canon 9000Pro MarkII printer, Canon MF8380CDW, Sony TRV740 8mm digital, Canon HV20 HDV camcorder and Sony SLTA65VK for still photos, Win8 Pro 64bit
---------
System 2: HP DV7-3079wm, AMD Turion M60 2.4Ghz, $GB RAM, Patriot Pyro 128GB SSD, WD 320GB, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, Win8 Pro 64bit.

Gary Russell
TNUSA

#3 Gill Gripper

Gill Gripper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:43 AM

Thanks for your advice.  The DVDs that I used were WINDATA DVD-Rs.  I don't know the company, so they're probably cheaply made.  I checked my JVC manual and it says that the unit I have is compatible with DVD-R and DVD-RW.  Before reading your post I (and before reading the manual), I picked up a pack of Maxell DVD+Rs.  Even though my DVD manual doesn't say that +Rs are readable, I'm going to give it a shot and burn just one DVD to see if it works.  If not, I'll just use them for data and then pick up some better quality DVD-Rs to try.

I was wondering though, could there be a setting for the menu that I need to change or tweak or something with the compression that I can check because, like I said before, my set top is reading that the disc is a DVD, but it won't display the menu.  When I play the same DVD in my computer, it takes a little bit before it starts to play (not like a regular DVD or others that I have had burned by other people), or could all of these problems just be caused by a crappy DVD?  Thanks again.

#4 ggrussell

ggrussell

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,941 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:33 PM

I would say all those problems could be cause by a poor quality DVD. Let us know if you have better luck with the newer discs.
Intel i7 4770k, 16GB 2400, LG 47" 3D TV, Two Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD, Hitachi 1TB HD, WD 3TB external USB3, LiteOn iHBS112 Bluray, LG WH14NS40 Bluray, ATI HD7870, Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z5500 THX certified 5.1 speakers, Epson 4490 scanner, Canon 9000Pro MarkII printer, Canon MF8380CDW, Sony TRV740 8mm digital, Canon HV20 HDV camcorder and Sony SLTA65VK for still photos, Win8 Pro 64bit
---------
System 2: HP DV7-3079wm, AMD Turion M60 2.4Ghz, $GB RAM, Patriot Pyro 128GB SSD, WD 320GB, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, Win8 Pro 64bit.

Gary Russell
TNUSA

#5 roxioconfusion

roxioconfusion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:29 AM

I too have problems, I used to use MYDVD8 premier to make discs (philips DVD+/- RW) with lots of short films on so that I could watch them during the year and then record a write only disc at the end of the year.
With EMC10 I create a disc in my dvd (philips DVD+/-RW) but it will not play on my sony dvd player that is compatible with all discs, the old ones still play perfectly well. The strange thing is these discs (EMC10) play perfectly well on my Xbox wich is usauly fussy about which type of disc it will play!  EMC10 is obviously doing something not quite right.Anyone got any ideas, I have got latest px engine and writer firmware.

#6 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:50 AM

If a disc plays in one machine but not in another, that almost certainly means it's readable/playable

Try a different brand of media and see if that works (just because it played in the past doesn't mean it will now as most media 'makers' outsource the manufacture and the discs could be from someone else entirely)
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
Intel I7 950 on Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo
12 GB Three Channel DDRAM
Radeon HD4850 512 MB GDR3 graphics
Signalink USB Audio Codec for ham radio connection
1 x 160 GB, 1 x 330 GB, 1 x 400 GB IDE drives
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
LG HL-DT-ST GGW-H20L BD-RE drive
22" Acer P223W monitor

EMC 7.5 on Windows XP 32 SP3
EMC10 on Windows XP64 SP2
Creator 2011 on Windows 7 Ultimate
ECD6 on Gentoo Linux (running under VMWare)

#7 roxioconfusion

roxioconfusion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (gi7omy @ Oct 5 2007, 04:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If a disc plays in one machine but not in another, that almost certainly means it's readable/playable

Try a different brand of media and see if that works (just because it played in the past doesn't mean it will now as most media 'makers' outsource the manufacture and the discs could be from someone else entirely)

Ok so i reinstalled DVD creator8 burned the same project on the disc that would not read and guess what? yep it reads perfectly. MYDVD10 has a bug! Fact.

#8 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:10 AM

If you used a CD-RW (which is the ONLY way you could 'use the same disc') - most set top players get a severe case of indigestion when confronted by one of those.

Any use of them is definitely hit and miss
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
22" Acer P223W monitor

#9 roxioconfusion

roxioconfusion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 02:20 PM

No definitely a Philips DVD +RW Disc. Not a cd.

#10 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 02:33 PM

Then you don't have the same fault - the OP was talking about VCDs

We'd need more details, preferably in a new thread

Daithi

Home Brew computer
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
22" Acer P223W monitor

#11 roxioconfusion

roxioconfusion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:24 AM

The OP was talking about creating a DVD read his thread carefully, I have the same problem, I have however started a new thread.

#12 Gill Gripper

Gill Gripper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:36 PM

OK, I'm back.  It took a little time for me to get back to work and burn another DVD (I don't have a DVD burner at home, but I use the one that I have at work) and here is the results of my "test".  I burned one DVD on a Maxell DVD+R with two separate "tracks" and took it home to test it.  When I loaded the disc into my set top, I got very short "bursts" of the menu music (it's supposed to play for 30 sec, but I would get one to two sec snippets) and no menu screen.  When I hit "play", nothing would happen.  When I would try to press a number on the remote that would correspond to the track I was trying to play, nothing.  Then I hit stop twice, bringing up the DVD players start up screen and on the LCD display on the DVD player, it showed "3" (to indicate the number of tracks on the DVD (2 tracks that I burned and then the menu)).  With the DVD player in this configuration, I then pressed the number "one" on my remote and, lo and behold, the track played perfectly to the end.  I'm assuming that when the DVD player tried to access the menu that that is where the problem lies.  When the first track played to the end, I then had to hit stop twice to zero out the player, again it showed "3 tracks" on the display, and I then pressed "two" on the remote and, just like before, it played the track perfectly.  One last time, stop twice, and then pressed three on the remote (I'm assuming that this is the menu track) because nothing happened.  I then went back to revisit the two WINDATA DVD-Rs that I had originally burned and tried the same thing (loading the DVD into the player, hitting stop twice, and then pressing the corresponding track number on the remote) and sure enough, they all played fine.  Obviously there is some problem with the menu burning or encoding.

Just to clarify what I am using:
Roxio Easy Media Creator 10 Suite
Version: 1.0.044
Build: 100B44B,R03

There are several other version and build number corresponding to the individual components, but none that I saw that was DVD burner specific.  If anyone knows of a menu, compression, or encoding setting that I can tweak, please let me know.  As for the computer that I used, it was a standard Dell with a DVD burner.  I can get the exact model number for the computer and DVD burner make and model if you think that it will help figure this mystery out.  Once again, thank you in advance.

#13 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,880 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (Gill Gripper @ Oct 8 2007, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, I'm back.  It took a little time for me to get back to work and burn another DVD (I don't have a DVD burner at home, but I use the one that I have at work) and here is the results of my "test".  I burned one DVD on a Maxell DVD+R with two separate "tracks" and took it home to test it.  When I loaded the disc into my set top, I got very short "bursts" of the menu music (it's supposed to play for 30 sec, but I would get one to two sec snippets) and no menu screen.  When I hit "play", nothing would happen.  When I would try to press a number on the remote that would correspond to the track I was trying to play, nothing.  Then I hit stop twice, bringing up the DVD players start up screen and on the LCD display on the DVD player, it showed "3" (to indicate the number of tracks on the DVD (2 tracks that I burned and then the menu)).  With the DVD player in this configuration, I then pressed the number "one" on my remote and, lo and behold, the track played perfectly to the end.  I'm assuming that when the DVD player tried to access the menu that that is where the problem lies.  When the first track played to the end, I then had to hit stop twice to zero out the player, again it showed "3 tracks" on the display, and I then pressed "two" on the remote and, just like before, it played the track perfectly.  One last time, stop twice, and then pressed three on the remote (I'm assuming that this is the menu track) because nothing happened.  I then went back to revisit the two WINDATA DVD-Rs that I had originally burned and tried the same thing (loading the DVD into the player, hitting stop twice, and then pressing the corresponding track number on the remote) and sure enough, they all played fine.  Obviously there is some problem with the menu burning or encoding.

Just to clarify what I am using:
Roxio Easy Media Creator 10 Suite
Version: 1.0.044
Build: 100B44B,R03

There are several other version and build number corresponding to the individual components, but none that I saw that was DVD burner specific.  If anyone knows of a menu, compression, or encoding setting that I can tweak, please let me know.  As for the computer that I used, it was a standard Dell with a DVD burner.  I can get the exact model number for the computer and DVD burner make and model if you think that it will help figure this mystery out.  Once again, thank you in advance.

Pickup some better quality DVDs such as Verbatim, Maxell have a very poor reputation and might not be compatible at all with your DVD player. What make does your player recommend? In your first post you said that the DVD played fine on other DVD players which shows that there was nothing wrong with the encoding and points to a problem between the player and the media. Have you tried burning at a lower speed, that often gives better results.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#14 Gill Gripper

Gill Gripper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE (myguggi @ Oct 8 2007, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pickup some better quality DVDs such as Verbatim, Maxell have a very poor reputation and might not be compatible at all with your DVD player. What make does your player recommend? In your first post you said that the DVD played fine on other DVD players which shows that there was nothing wrong with the encoding and points to a problem between the player and the media. Have you tried burning at a lower speed, that often gives better results.

Sorry for taking so long on reading and responding to your post but I was out of the country for a wedding.  Anyway, my JVC DVD player doesn't recommend a particular brand of DVD's, only "-" DVDRs.  As for the whole playback issue, I didn't buy the Maxell DVD's in "-" but in "+".  The "+" DVDs won't play in the DVD player that will play the -DVD that I first burned.  Let me try and simplify this as it is starting to confuse me.  The two players that I tried these DVDs on were 1) a JVC DVD player and 2) a Sony Playstation 2

The first -DVD that I burned plays fine in the PS2 but the menu doesn't appear in the JVC.  When I click a numbered button on the remote (after hitting stop twice to stop the menu) it will play that track fine (in the JVC).

The second +DVD that I burned will not play in the PS2 at all, and I have the same problems with the JVC, but I can get it to work by using the stop twice and then the number of the track I want to see.

Either way, the DVD, + or -, just isn't being read properly by my JVC and I reasonably believe that the problem is with how the menu is either being burned or encrypted.  The menu must be the problem because the movie tracks play fine.  I've tried burning at a very slow speed and that didn't help either.  If anyone else has encountered this problem and found a solution, please let me know.  And thanks myguggi for your help and suggestions.  Unfortunately, they didn't work for me (outside of getting "better" DVDs which I can't see doing just yet, not until I figured out why this is happening in the first place.  Like I said, the WINDAT -DVD worked fine in the PS2 and I'm sure that WINDAT isn't as good as Maxell, or so I would think).

#15 james_hardin

james_hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,000 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 01:04 PM

The problem is not Roxio as it is producing a compliant DVD. The program is just not capable of burning a DVD with menus in the project, and then leaving them out – can't happen!

The problem is your JVC unit.

Your PS2 is compatible with 'plus' as well as 'dash'
Dell 8300 3.0ghz 1.5gb RAM 300gb & 200gb HDs
XP Pro/SP2
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 w/AGP8X

#16 puddy

puddy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:00 AM

QUOTE (james_hardin @ Oct 26 2007, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The problem is not Roxio as it is producing a compliant DVD. The program is just not capable of burning a DVD with menus in the project, and then leaving them out – can't happen!

The problem is your JVC unit.

Your PS2 is compatible with 'plus' as well as 'dash'

I think the problem is caused because EMC10 is not closing the disc before ejecting.  I have the same problem when playing a disk on my tv builtin dvd player but they work fine in my newish dvd players/recoders

You need to put a tick in the box on the dvd drive that burns the video file in DVD drive properties (d:)global settings automatically close the current UDF sessions when disc is ejected

Hope this helps

Puddy

#17 james_hardin

james_hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,000 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE (puddy @ Nov 5 2007, 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the problem is caused because EMC10 is not closing the disc before ejecting.  I have the same problem when playing a disk on my tv builtin dvd player but they work fine in my newish dvd players/recoders

You need to put a tick in the box on the dvd drive that burns the video file in DVD drive properties (d:)global settings automatically close the current UDF sessions when disc is ejected

Hope this helps

Puddy

That would be a real good trick!

What you suggest is only available in Drag to Disc.

Of course since Drag to Disc is not included in EMC 10 it is going to be a real feat to put a checkmark in a box in a program that you don't even have!

Likewise, D2D in V9 and all previous versions was incapable of making a DVD Movie Compliant disc…
Dell 8300 3.0ghz 1.5gb RAM 300gb & 200gb HDs
XP Pro/SP2
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 w/AGP8X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users