pestoking

DVD plays in standalone; appears "blank" in any PC

Question

A friend made a DVD video using Roxio Media Creator 9 and mailed me the disk. It plays fine on a standalone DVD player, but I can't play it or open it on a PC. In other words, it shows up as a blank, unformatted disk. No VIDEO_TS folder present. Nothing. Personally, I use other software (Nero, Pinnacle), so this doesn't make much sense that you can create a DVD that plays on standalone decks but is invisible to a PC. Nero and Pinnacle both create DVD videos that are PC readable/playable.

The only thing that I can think is Roxio employs some kind of finalize (make compatible) scheme. I asked my friend to see if there was a finalize command -- or something related to "make compatible" (which I have read about in the Roxio knowledge base.) But unfortunately she is a bit technologically challenged and cannot determine how else to make a disk or change a disk.

So, my questions:

1) Does Roxio make disks in stages, requiring a finalize step if you want to open DVDs on a PC (vs. a standalone deck)? Side question: what is the purpose of this? Add more data later?

2) If the above answer is YES, then can I take a disk that has not been "finalized" and finalize it? In other words, if I have the Roxio 9 software on MY computer, could I take this disk and make it play/read on a PC. What do I need to do?

3) If a disk already created can't be finalized after the fact, what does my friend need to do to produce a disk that can be read/played on a PC?

Thanks.

P.S. There is a lot of discussion on this forum about bad media. I don't think this is the case and IME the problem is not the media or brand, but a bad burn caused by a "hiccup" in the computer/burner during the burn phase. Bad physical media (I have burned thousands of disks using all brands, plus or minus) is very, very rare.

Edited by pestoking

44 answers to this question

Bad physical media is a lot more common than you think actually, but that's neither here nor there

Interesting problem - usually it's the other way round (plays on PC but not on standalone and that is more often than not down to the media)

The way it works in making a DVD is a two stage process - first of all, it renders an avi or whatevr to the vob format for the players, then makes a temporary .iso file which is then burnt to the DVD. You can split the job manually by choosing to output MyDVD to tyhe hard drive and then just double click on the iso to have it burnt (that way you can make multiple copies without having to render each time)

Now why it won't play back in the PC is a different matter. Does the DVD play in WMP or anything else? It's possible you don't have the correct codecs installed (I'm guessing here). Try to download and install gspot and see if that will identify anything that is missing

Let us know what happens after that

I'm going to make a wild guess... If nothing else maybe it'll give someone an idea or 2.

The only time I've had problems reading a DVD of any sort with a PC it's turned out to be one of two things: either the disc was junk or incompatible, or the disc format was unsupported on the PC. There is a disc format supported by *some* DVD players and not by all PCs, and many come across it with DVDs from a DVD Recorder -- I *think* it might be UDF?

My Panasonic DVDR for example burns this type of disc when the blank is a DVD - RW, and it's unreadable on many PCs, including my primary machine until or unless I install Drag to Disc. While I've never tried creating or recording a DVD -VR using EMC9, I imagine it's possible that it uses the same format. If that's how the DVD was made, or using Drag to Disc, then maybe that's the problem and the solution would be to install support for that type of disc. There are alternatives to using Roxio software for this support, I *think* including Nero's version of Drag to Disc but I could be wrong.

Video CDs made using either Drag to Disc or InCD won't play on a standalone (the format is wrong)

As I noted, the PC thinks the disk is blank. It's not a codec issue, not an issue with WMP player. Heck, the DivX player says the same thing. There are no file to be seen in a PC environment.

I am familiar with the 2 stage creation process, Nero and Pinnacle can do the same thing. But once you go from render to burn, or render to ISO to burn, the resulting disk is a standard DVD.

How this apparently empty disk can play in a DVD standalone remains a mystery. It has to be in a format that can be read by a standalone -- a format to which I am not familiar.

Bad physical media is a lot more common than you think actually, but that's neither here nor there

Interesting problem - usually it's the other way round (plays on PC but not on standalone and that is more often than not down to the media)

The way it works in making a DVD is a two stage process - first of all, it renders an avi or whatevr to the vob format for the players, then makes a temporary .iso file which is then burnt to the DVD. You can split the job manually by choosing to output MyDVD to tyhe hard drive and then just double click on the iso to have it burnt (that way you can make multiple copies without having to render each time)

Now why it won't play back in the PC is a different matter. Does the DVD play in WMP or anything else? It's possible you don't have the correct codecs installed (I'm guessing here). Try to download and install gspot and see if that will identify anything that is missing

Let us know what happens after that

I am guessing my friend used a drag and drop method creating a DVD on the fly.

I'm going to make a wild guess... If nothing else maybe it'll give someone an idea or 2.

The only time I've had problems reading a DVD of any sort with a PC it's turned out to be one of two things: either the disc was junk or incompatible, or the disc format was unsupported on the PC. There is a disc format supported by *some* DVD players and not by all PCs, and many come across it with DVDs from a DVD Recorder -- I *think* it might be UDF?

My Panasonic DVDR for example burns this type of disc when the blank is a DVD - RW, and it's unreadable on many PCs, including my primary machine until or unless I install Drag to Disc. While I've never tried creating or recording a DVD -VR using EMC9, I imagine it's possible that it uses the same format. If that's how the DVD was made, or using Drag to Disc, then maybe that's the problem and the solution would be to install support for that type of disc. There are alternatives to using Roxio software for this support, I *think* including Nero's version of Drag to Disc but I could be wrong.

I am headed in this direction. I will ask if this is what she did.

In the meantime, is there any command in Roxio to finalize such a Drag to Disc created DVD? Or does she have to re-burn the project?

Video CDs made using either Drag to Disc or InCD won't play on a standalone (the format is wrong)

All DVD Movies, all no exception, are written using UDF!!!

All XP/Vista OS's can read UDF.

All XP/Vista have a packet reader built in and can read any pw disc.

All DVD Movies are finalized, no choice.

I may have missed it, but tell us the type of media we are dealing with here and the make and model of your drive.

Also your OS.

Run Nero's Info Tool on the disc and see what it reports.

Edited by james_hardin

We're on the same page. I have many ways to look at a disk, including Nero. Nero says this disk is blank. I cannot tell if the media is write-once or re-writable (she put a label on the disk and I don't want to remove it if I don't have to). If the media were re-writable, would this make a difference?

Nero reports....there is no disk in drive. Have tried it on two desktops with NEC dual-layer burners, also tried it on a notebook with a different brand (QSI) DVD player. It too says their ain't no disk and the notebook won't play it using the PowerDVD app that's on it (which says their ain't no disk)

Yet it plays fine on standalone decks. And yes, I note that finalize is not an option when you burn the project.

I finally got Roxio 9 and it can't see the disk, can't finalize it (even if it was an option).

This is a ghost disk, haunted.

At this point, I have asked her to burn another one.

All XP/Vista OS's can read UDF.

All XP/Vista have a packet reader built in and can read any pw disc.

All DVD Movies are finalized, no choice.

I may have missed it, but tell us the type of media we are dealing with here and the make and model of your drive.

Also your OS.

Run Nero's Info Tool on the disc and see what it reports.

We're on the same page. I have many ways to look at a disk, including Nero. Nero says this disk is blank. I cannot tell if the media is write-once or re-writable (she put a label on the disk and I don't want to remove it if I don't have to). If the media were re-writable, would this make a difference?

Nero reports....there is no disk in drive. Have tried it on two desktops with NEC dual-layer burners, also tried it on a notebook with a different brand (QSI) DVD player. It too says their ain't no disk and the notebook won't play it using the PowerDVD app that's on it (which says their ain't no disk)

Yet it plays fine on standalone decks. And yes, I note that finalize is not an option when you burn the project.

I finally got Roxio 9 and it can't see the disk, can't finalize it (even if it was an option).

So could you find out exactly how your friend is creating the DVD? What program in EMC 9 is she using?

It ain't the software and it ain't the disc (it plays) but if you won't answer questions asked about your system, there is nothing to pursue here…

Tell your friend, you never put labels on DVD media!

True, but there's more........

DVD-Video media use UDF version 1.02. These discs contain a so-called UDF Bridge format, where both an ISO 9660 (Level 1) as well as a UDF 1.02 filesystem are present on the same disc, describing the same filesystem.

cd :)

Sheesh,

The only thing you don't know is:

Burner: NEC dual layer

DVD labels: unfortunately, the newbs like them.

It's not like I'm running Windows 3.1 or DOS 6.2. We're both old timers. The OS and the burner ain't the issue. Same same issue on other desktops (running WinXP and whatever burner). Cut me some slack.

It ain't the software and it ain't the disc (it plays) but if you won't answer questions asked about your system, there is nothing to pursue here…

Tell your friend, you never put labels on DVD media!

Burner: NEC dual layer

With the DVD in question place it in the drive, start, all programs, Nero, tools, CD-DVD Speed. Click the disc info tab, now at the top your drive info, below look for Disc Status. Now what does the disc in question say and the drive details, example mine ( BenQ DVD DD DW1640 BSRB.

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info

Basic Information

Disc type: : DVD-R

Book Type : DVD-R

Manufacturer: : Verbatim

MID : MCC 00RG200

Write speeds: : 2.4 X

Blank Capacity : 4.38 GB

: 4489 MB

: 4707319808 bytes

Extended Information

Layers : 1

Usage : General

Copyright protection : n/a

Recorder information : recorded with SONY SONY DRU-500A

Disc Status : Closed

Raw Data

Pre-recorded Information in Lead-in (0Eh)

0000 - 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 50 00 02 87 0D 13 88 99 80 00 - .@....P.........

0010 - 03 4D 43 43 20 30 30 00 04 52 47 32 30 30 20 00 - .MCC.00..RG200..

0020 - 05 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 F0 FF FF FF 90 19 18 00 - ................

0030 - 04 09 11 00 5D 8E 41 77 04 00 00 00 FC 08 11 00 - ....].Aw........

0040 - 00 C0 D4 77 00 80 00 00 1C 09 11 00 7D 3F 41 77 - ...w........}?Aw

0050 - 00 80 00 00 D6 04 02 00 FC FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 - ................

0060 - 01 00 00 00 90 19 18 00 50 09 11 00 00 00 15 00 - ........P.......

cd

You are really going to like this:

"No disc inserted"

That's it. That's what Nero reports from the Nero Speed tester. No kidding. Others disks report just fine as you show below.

Yet this DVD plays fine in my standalone deck. This disk is a freak of nature.

With the DVD in question place it in the drive, start, all programs, Nero, tools, CD-DVD Speed. Click the disc info tab, now at the top your drive info, below look for Disc Status. Now what does the disc in question say and the drive details, example mine ( BenQ DVD DD DW1640 BSRB.

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info

Basic Information

Disc type: : DVD-R

Book Type : DVD-R

Manufacturer: : Verbatim

MID : MCC 00RG200

Write speeds: : 2.4 X

Blank Capacity : 4.38 GB

: 4489 MB

: 4707319808 bytes

Extended Information

Layers : 1

Usage : General

Copyright protection : n/a

Recorder information : recorded with SONY SONY DRU-500A

Disc Status : Closed

Raw Data

Pre-recorded Information in Lead-in (0Eh)

0000 - 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 50 00 02 87 0D 13 88 99 80 00 - .@....P.........

0010 - 03 4D 43 43 20 30 30 00 04 52 47 32 30 30 20 00 - .MCC.00..RG200..

0020 - 05 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 F0 FF FF FF 90 19 18 00 - ................

0030 - 04 09 11 00 5D 8E 41 77 04 00 00 00 FC 08 11 00 - ....].Aw........

0040 - 00 C0 D4 77 00 80 00 00 1C 09 11 00 7D 3F 41 77 - ...w........}?Aw

0050 - 00 80 00 00 D6 04 02 00 FC FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 - ................

0060 - 01 00 00 00 90 19 18 00 50 09 11 00 00 00 15 00 - ........P.......

cd

"No disc inserted"

That's it. That's what Nero reports from the Nero Speed tester. No kidding. Others disks report just fine as you show below.

Have you tried to play your "phantom DVD" on a friends computer system or at a computer store?

"No disc inserted"

At the top of CD/DVDSpeed is the drive with the disc in it showing in the box?

she put a label on the disk and I don't want to remove it if I don't have to)

If so, then soak the label off in clean warm dish soap water.

cd

Edited by cdanteek

My life is a computer store. I have a variety of desktops and notebooks. All the same. It's the disk.

Have you tried to play your "phantom DVD" on a friends computer system or at a computer store?

pestoking

Is there a label on it? It would help if you answer all the question.

cd

Yes, the drive is showing up just fine. Regarding the label. yah I could take it off but it's not going to make the disk more readable.

The best thing I can think to do, short of getting another output, is to capture the DVD into my video editing software, and edit the video into my own project. I lose the original menus, but what the hay.

At the top of CD/DVDSpeed is the drive with the disc in it showing in the box?

If so, then soak the label off in clean warm dish soap water.

cd

How could you capture the contents of the DVD if the PC Drive won't read it.

Now I'm confused...

cd

I lose the original menus, but what the hay.
Unless the disc is DVD VR, NO software can edit or capture the menus from a disc. At least, none that I know.

I thought the group might like a follow up on this issue. I was having trouble playing a somewhat scratched Netflix DVD on my computer -- in fact the computer wouldn't recognize the disk just like the project disk that started this thread. I tried the Netflix rental on another computer (with the same NEC 3530 DVD drive) and it worked. So I thought bad DVD burner. I had a new Sony DRU-190A 20x burner that I had recently purchased so I decided to try that one. No dice reading the disk.

I headed over to Newegg to buy a new DVD burner, a 20X Samsung burner (SH S202). Voila! I could read the scratched Netflix rental AND now I could read/play the previously unreadable project DVD. First thing I did was make a copy of the project DVD. I took the copy and tried to read it on the NEC drive that (previously) would not read the master. Voila! I can read/play the COPY.

Chalk this up to a better DVD burner/reader as well as more compatible media. Still have no idea what brand of media was used because I didn't want to remove the custom label. It was not scratched like the Netflix rental. It just didn't like certain DVD burners/players. So far, the new Samsungs (I bought 3 more) seem to read anything you throw at them.

this is an old post, but I have the same problem. I think it may be due to disk, the disk is dvd r . The dvd r will play in dvd player but not on any pc. However the same movie recorded on dvd rw will play on both the dvd player and the pc.

Do you even have Creator 9 (2006-2007)???

I doubt there is a PC made that can't read all disc types.

What is it that you have on this disc? - is it an Authored disc or just some files you put on a disc?

it apears all the disc that I copied from vhs to dvd that were on the dvd r wont play on the pc, the disc that were dvd rw will. So I just assume that it is the disc type?

There is not much information in your posts.

For example, what does "all the disc that I copied from vhs to dvd that were on the dvd r wont play on the pc" mean? How did you "copy" and what software/hardware did you use?

In general, any PC DVD player will play all DVDs types.

I had some old home movies vcr tapes, I used a Magavox VHS to DVD player to copy them. I had DVR r disks, when I ran out and bought more, but I bought the DVD rw disk. The DVD rw will play on my computer but the DVR r wont. I get a message that the disk is blank but it's not blank it plays just fine on a DVD player. I want to be able to play the DVD r on my computer. I'm just guessing that it was the disk type?

The old vcr tapes are gone, so I cant just make another copy from the tape to a new DVD rw disk. I need to be able to copy from DVD r to DVD rw.

I would like to know if anyone has used Copystars DVD CD Duplicator 1-1 24X burner Disc Copier Burner DL tower to copy a DVD R to DVD rw?