5 replies to this topic

#1 kitty2000

kitty2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 03:55 AM

Hi.  I'd really appreciate some advice.
I have a Windows vista OS and a dvd+r multi recorder rewriter.  The burner is "roxio creator 9".  I have a video file that i want to burn to disc.  I have some recordable dvd+r blank discs, and everything was finally going well until the dvd maker said it was ready to burn, and i inserted a disc and pressed "burn".  A message came up saying"the disc in your DVD burner is not recordable. Please insert recordable or rewritable blah blah blah."

Do i need to get a different kind of blank dvd, eg dvd-r or something, if so then how do i find out what one to get? I've tried to find out but i can't.  Do i need a different burner?  As you can most likely tell, i am new to this, i hope i've given you enough information.  Please someone help it's driving me mad!!

#2 james_hardin

james_hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,000 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:02 AM

If you have a PC with Vista it is more likely that your Burner can handle both 'plus' and 'dash' type media.

In most cases like this, your Burner needs a Firmware update.

To be sure, open Creator Classic and from the Tools menu, run the Disc and Device Utility.

We will want to know the Make and Model of your Burner as well as the Firmware version installed.

It will also tell you what type of media it can write to.

One other thought: Confirm that you have not formatted the media before trying to use it! You never format optical media!!!
Dell 8300 3.0ghz 1.5gb RAM 300gb & 200gb HDs
XP Pro/SP2
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 w/AGP8X

#3 kitty2000

kitty2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:44 AM

QUOTE (james_hardin @ Oct 21 2007, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you have a PC with Vista it is more likely that your Burner can handle both 'plus' and 'dash' type media.

In most cases like this, your Burner needs a Firmware update.

To be sure, open Creator Classic and from the Tools menu, run the Disc and Device Utility.

We will want to know the Make and Model of your Burner as well as the Firmware version installed.

It will also tell you what type of media it can write to.

One other thought: Confirm that you have not formatted the media before trying to use it! You never format optical media!!!

Thanks for responding
I don't appear to have a disc and device utility in the Creator program, but i did check for updates and nothing happened. In the options it says it checks for updates on startup also.  
You're right, it does support loads of different media,  including the one i'm trying to use.
The manufacturer & model of the burner is Atapi DVD A  DH18A1P
and the firmware is ZX16
I haven't formatted it! Well i did with the first disc, but then i put in a fresh one.   I didn't know whether i was meant to or not.  I won't again, promise!

#4 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,439 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:03 AM

DVD A DH18A1P
and the firmware is ZX16

Your burner is a Oem LiteOn made just for your PC maker. All firmware support will have to come from them. LiteOn firmware page doesn't even list the drive.

cd
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#5 james_hardin

james_hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,000 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:06 AM

Did the Roxio software come with your PC, (OEM)? Or did you purchase it retail?

My search of your Burner indicates it is truly a No Name burner with Zero support… If it came with your PC and is still under warranty I would check with manufacture to see if they have a firmware update or would be willing to replace the drive.
Dell 8300 3.0ghz 1.5gb RAM 300gb & 200gb HDs
XP Pro/SP2
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 w/AGP8X

#6 kitty2000

kitty2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:27 AM

Thanks for your help.  
I found an update for my burner on my pc manufacturer's site, but it still didn't work.
So i downloaded a new burner, and it worked (yey)
But when i tried to play it on my dvd player, it said "un disk" (boo)
So now i have to try to find out what type of disc the player supports (sigh)
Which i don't understand because i'm sure i've watched all different types of copied discs on my dvd player before and never had a problem....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users