Michael1970

No Leopard Patch for Toast 7

Question

I just received a blunt email from Roxio saying that Toast 7 is not compatible with Leopard & they will not be providing a patch to fix it.

Great Work Roxio. Excellent Customer Service. I bought Toast 7 less than a year ago and paid a premium price for it $A150. And you couldn't give a #$^@.

Toast is an excellent product and I have loved using it. But this company has absolutely no integrity.

Some have mentioned that Roxio has deliberately included a bug so it wouldn't work in Leopard, I never would have thought a company would do that but now I would have to say that's probably the case.

And I am sure that my message will be removed by Roxio censors.

You are a major disappointment.

14 answers to this question

This is a disappointment and hope becomes untrue as there is a post in the discussion groups from Roxio stating that there would patch for v7. I, too have owned Toast 7 for under a year. I'm in the habit of buying every other version (5, 7..) from Roxio. Not sure if that will continue.

Edited by Panarech

In the meantime (I can't burn with Toast or Popcorn either), I burn discs with Apple's Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, create a disk image with all you want on it; then select the disk image and click the 'burn' icon in the toolbar.

I appreciate seeing that an update for 7.1.2 will be available soon. I looked at upgrading to 8.0, and just don't need any of the new features -- 7 is fine with me.

Thanks, again, for responding to your customers, and Have a Great Day!

Russ

I appreciate seeing that an update for 7.1.2 will be available soon. I looked at upgrading to 8.0, and just don't need any of the new features -- 7 is fine with me.

Thanks, again, for responding to your customers, and Have a Great Day!

Russ

I appreciate your patience, I'll be honest and tell you that Popcorn 3 and Toast 8 are our first priority for updaters. It now looks as if those updaters will be completed next week, after which will come Popcorn 2 and Toast 7.

Hi Ivan,

I am the first to admit that I was quite angry when I posted this notice. However having paid the amount of money I have for a program that worked for less than a year I do not feel I was totally off the mark. I posted it twice because I wanted as many people to read it as possible. You directed me to the post that said due to the significance of the problem a patch would indeed be made available. I had read this before I sent my question to Roxio. This post was dated Oct 29 and the reply I received from Roxio saying there would be no patch was dated Nov 1. So I assumed that the email was correct because it was the most up to date. I can send you a copy of the email if you would like. I have since reinstalled Toast 7 without the update and it works perfectly as it always did. My question now is; Despite being told in the email from Roxio that Toast 7 is not complatible with Leopard it clearly is just not with the 7.1.2 update and I was wondering why that was? If I have jumped to conclusions, I apologise but on the surface evidence it would appear something is not right.

Michael

Oddly enough, my old copy of Toast 6 works just fine. I find it very hard to believe this can't be patched.

We've never said that this can't be patched! In fact, we're working on a Toast 7.1.3 update that will resolve the burning problem in Leopard. The fix is already in QA and has been provided as a beta to a limited number of discussion forum users to solicit feedback.

Okay I bought the new Toast 8 AND Popcorn 3. Downloaded and installed them both, and entered my registration CD-Keys for each product. I even came back on and registered them both on my Roxio profile. I thought I was in hog heaven and home free.

Toast 8 was installed and worked okay. Made a disc image which wrote to disk okay, then I went to Popcorn 3 to burn the Toast image to a disc. When I went to open Toast 3 I did my usual dragging the image file to the new Popcorn image on the Dock bar. There was a brief jumping and highlighting as if to load, then nothing. I then tried clicking on the Dock image, then the Popcorn 3 file itself in the Applications folder, and nothing happens, except for the brief highlighting (darkening) of the Finder when an app first starts up then it blips out and doesn't load. Why did Popcorn 3 open and accept my registration when I installed it, then refuse to open again ever after?

Okay, on thinking about it, when I dropped the Popcorn 3 folder into Applications, I noticed that it was named different and wouldn't overwrite the earlier product. Since there were no instructions to remove Popcorn 2.1.2 included, I didn't think about it and didn't dump the older file. Also, I had in mind possibly patching Toast 7 & Popcorn 2, if the patch becomes available, so I just left it there.

In the course of the evening, I pushed several discs into the MacBook Pro's internal DVD, and Popcorn popped up. I assumed it was Popcorn 3 using the old prefs file, which was set to open Popcorn when a blank disc is inserted, and simply closed Popcorn without looking at it. It wasn't Popcorn 3 but Popcorn 2 which was opening while I wasn't paying attention.

So I dumped Popcorn 2 and Toast 7.1.2 into trash (to prevent it, too, from accidentally opening), then tried again; same results, no Popcorn after a brief highlight. So then I dumped the Popcorn 3 app, emptied the trash (including old Popcorn and old Toast), reinstalled Popcorn 3 from the file I downloaded, and it acts exactly the same way; Popcorn 3 will not open.

My downloads were very slow, since the only thing I have available to access the Internet are random WIFI hotspots, so I suspect that the file I downloaded is corrupted somehow. I also downloaded and applied the Toast 8.0.1 update, when Toast notified me of its availability (thanks). Anyway that's all I know to try next, downloading a replacement file, which means downloading my purchase again and I don't know if I can, and I don't know if I can upgrade without the earlier Popcorn 2 being on my hard drive (since I deleted it).

The other thing I have thought of doing is removing the Preferences file for Popcorn, and I don't know how that will work and I don't know if I can find it to remove.

HELP! I don't know what to do. I've re-downloaded my order using the Order Search page, and re-installed it over the earlier Popcorn 3 install (overwriting the earlier install) and it is still not working; not starting up even to accept my serial number. I compared the earlier download with the one I just downloaded, and sure enough, they are different sizes: 1st download, 159,476,381 bytes; 2nd download, 159,474,835 bytes. I also downloaded the Toast 8 Upgrade again, and they are exactly the same, at 147,381,635 bytes. Until I can get it working, I am stuck with a working Toast 8, and a useless Popcorn 3 which cost me $29.95. Next I guess I will try finding the preference file and deleting it; any help (including where Popcorn installs its files) will be appreciated.

I hope this is helpful to someone, in here or out there. This could be a Leopard glitch; I'm hearing about some serious problems, including http://tomkarpik.com/articles/massive-data...bug-in-leopard/.

Okay I bought the new Toast 8 AND Popcorn 3. Downloaded and installed them both, and entered my registration CD-Keys for each product. I even came back on and registered them both on my Roxio profile. I thought I was in hog heaven and home free.

Hi Heavyside

We're aware of these issues and working on fixes. Because of the severity of the issue related to not launching on Leopard, we've even made a beta version of Popcorn 3 available to users.

Popcorn 3 Beta --> http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=30179

Ok I'm glad that Toast 7 will *eventually* be fixed, but for right now I need to be able to burn an MPEG-2 file (exported from EyeTV) to a DVD.

How can I do that?

(Of course I just removed Toast6 from my HD not long before Leopard as part of my "clean up" regimen!)

WARNING: Better hold off that upgrade to Leopard. Popcorn 2 will NOT work on Leopard! No patch from the developer has been released, two weeks after Leopard's debut.

Upon hitting the burn button, we get the error "Could not record the disc because of a Mac OS Error. Result Code = -13780" This error comes up every time.

Technical Support at Roxio consists of a support portal. All attempts to login to the portal have been unsuccessful (I have read about this particular problem on Mac Update forum). Calls to Roxio to fix the login problem (new login, new password, etc.) have not resolved the problem and we are still unable to log in to the support portal. (Friendly people on the phone, though.)

If I had known Popcorn and Leopard were incompatible, I would have held off my upgrade. We burn a LOT of DVDs, mostly of the one movie we have the rights to, and suddenly we can't burn anything. This is a major bummer and the support situation is aggravating in the extreme.

WARNING: Better hold off that upgrade to Leopard. Popcorn 2 will NOT work on Leopard! No patch from the developer has been released, two weeks after Leopard's debut.

Upon hitting the burn button, we get the error "Could not record the disc because of a Mac OS Error. Result Code = -13780" This error comes up every time.

Technical Support at Roxio consists of a support portal. All attempts to login to the portal have been unsuccessful (I have read about this particular problem on Mac Update forum). Calls to Roxio to fix the login problem (new login, new password, etc.) have not resolved the problem and we are still unable to log in to the support portal. (Friendly people on the phone, though.)

If I had known Popcorn and Leopard were incompatible, I would have held off my upgrade. We burn a LOT of DVDs, mostly of the one movie we have the rights to, and suddenly we can't burn anything. This is a major bummer and the support situation is aggravating in the extreme.

Dear Roxio,

I'm a long-time supporter/customer, as I'm sure many of the posters here are too. I love(d) Toast 7, but obviously there are some compatibility issues with Leopard. Do you have any new time frame for when the "unsupported" fix will be?

Best,

mjl

Hi Heavyside

We're aware of these issues and working on fixes. Because of the severity of the issue related to not launching on Leopard, we've even made a beta version of Popcorn 3 available to users.

Popcorn 3 Beta --> http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=30179

I downloaded the b7 update for Popcorn 3, and was pleased to find that it opened and was functional. Some operations were really slow, however, and I was looking forward to the "real" update. Popcorn 3.0.2b7 dutifully notified me that a new update was ready for download today, and I downloaded and installed it. Thanks, both for the beta download and for the new update, which seems to work beautifully and is much faster than the interim beta update was. I applaud the new features of the v.3.0.2 update.

I hope you are moving forward with the unsupported Popcorn 7 update, for those of us not ready to upgrade. :o