W9cae

CD Spin Doctor

Question

Since upgrading to Leopard I find CD Spin doctor does not work correctly. You can start the application and record a track. But thats as far as the application will go. My copy came with Toast 7 also I received a copy with my Terratec iVinyl. I am really hopping Roxio is going to make an update. As I still have many albums in my collection I wish to convert over.

Cheers Scott

18 answers to this question

I have your same problem - all edit functions not available - playback progress bar has a bright blue halo. Audio file will export to ITunes still and burn to CD as a contiuous track. No fix promised fom Roxio. Apple say use Garageband but so far problems of file size.

I have your same problem - all edit functions not available - playback progress bar has a bright blue halo. Audio file will export to ITunes still and burn to CD as a contiuous track. No fix promised fom Roxio. Apple say use Garageband but so far problems of file size.

The playback issues will be fixed in the next update - although I personally like the halo effect. :)

The playback issues will be fixed in the next update - although I personally like the halo effect. :)

:) Thanks for that,Patatrox. Will it be an update to the version of CD Spin Doctor with Toast 7 or am I being cajoled into upgrading to 8? Halos are OK if they work or are just decorative. How about an emoticon with a halo?

Edited by John Farnworth

Anyone know when? I've tried writing to Roxio, and they said it would be fixed a week after Leopard release. Obviously not true. I wrote again, and the reply was:

We dont have any info on when and how ectm,here in the Tesch support dept..You may find out more by looking in the user forums as to when these will be released.

So, do the people in the forums know more than the Roxio people about when updates are coming? Makes me wonder...

I have been contacted back by support both times with the same stock answer that does not relate to CD spin Dr.

I am sorta over the poor support Roxio offers & now looking at some other options.

To the extent that this community is observed or acknowledged by Roxio support, I want to offer another confirmation that CD Spin Doctor 3.1t, last modified June 27 2006, DOES NOT WORK with Leopard.

Please provide at least a sense of when it will be resolved, and if so, by whom (ie, Roxio or Apple update).

thx

To the extent that this community is observed or acknowledged by Roxio support, I want to offer another confirmation that CD Spin Doctor 3.1t, last modified June 27 2006, DOES NOT WORK with Leopard.

Please provide at least a sense of when it will be resolved, and if so, by whom (ie, Roxio or Apple update).

thx

I have been to the roxio web site and low and behold Spin Doctor is available to be purchased. Could it be that Roxio want us to purchase it as a separate software? :angry2:

I have been to the roxio web site and low and behold Spin Doctor is available to be purchased. Could it be that Roxio want us to purchase it as a separate software?

I think not. Toast 8.0.3 comes still bundled with CD Spin Doctor (I downloaded the update this week from Roxio), the latest version of CD Spin Doctor being 4.0.2.333t. Since I do not have Leopard installed, I cannot comment on the compatibility of this version.

But it seems they want to make some additional money selling CD Spin Doctor to users of Toast Lite or of other CD burning software - which is a reasonable idea in my eyes.

Christian.

Edited by cfbuser

I have been to the roxio web site and low and behold Spin Doctor is available to be purchased. Could it be that Roxio want us to purchase it as a separate software? :angry2:

It's been sold separately for quite some time now. That's how I purchased it back at the beginning of 07.

To answer your question, NO! They want you to buy the latest version of Toast. They don't want to fix anything. They are in business to SELL you everything. I really believe that we have actually been SOLD SOMETHING. (and it doesn't smell very good!)

Problem is that it is still being sold as a workable product on their website if you have OS X 3.9.1 or greater. <_<

How many are being duped by this with no support from Roxio to make it right? Still won't work with Leopard and it's been a frustrating ride receiving no word sans the "form" letters thanking you for your input. Are there actually people at Roxio? If so, is it so hard to respond once a month with a progress report on CDSD? Still waiting. :mellow:

I sure wish there would have been some information on the web site that said that Spin doctor is not compatible with Leopard. I just wasted $40 on a product that is unusable. The support section does not even list Spin Doctor as one of it's products and when I tried to register the software, it said my CD key # was invalid when I copied and pasted it right from the delivery receipt.

I sure wish there would have been some information on the web site that said that Spin doctor is not compatible with Leopard. I just wasted $40 on a product that is unusable. The support section does not even list Spin Doctor as one of it's products and when I tried to register the software, it said my CD key # was invalid when I copied and pasted it right from the delivery receipt.

Get your CD sorted through the helpline and then go to software update once CD spin Doctor is up and running.

The Toast 7 update (7.1.3 - with CD Sin Doctor update bundled) was announced on this community site by 'patatrox' (Roxio Mac expert on 5 December). At that time the UK update page was not registering the update but by linking through to the US website (from the link in patatrox's announcement) I got the download from across the pond and everything now OK for all I need but from other postings it would appear that all punters are not quite happy yet.

The problem with Sin Doctor is that it is not a Roxio product but if you have purchased it as a stand alone application then the updates should be triggered by the registration process.

I would agree with some of the comments that Roxio have not done their best at keeping us all informed.

I have had a go at my local Apple supplier for offering Leopard and Toast 8 (with Sin Doctor bundled) off the same software display shelf. I get dead pan looks when challenged that these are incompatible products. The same goes for Photoshop Elements 4 (needed since 2 no longer works with Leopard) but at least with 4 as soon as you open it it comes up with an update link to sort it!

John Farnworth

Edited by John Farnworth

Get your CD sorted through the helpline and then go to software update once CD spin Doctor is up and running.

The Toast 7 update (7.1.3 - with CD Sin Doctor update bundled) was announced on this community site by 'patatrox' (Roxio Mac expert on 5 December). At that time the UK update page was not registering the update but by linking through to the US website (from the link in patatrox's announcement) I got the download from across the pond and everything now OK for all I need but from other postings it would appear that all punters are not quite happy yet.

The problem with Sin Doctor is that it is not a Roxio product but if you have purchased it as a stand alone application then the updates should be triggered by the registration process.

I would agree with some of the comments that Roxio have not done their best at keeping us all informed.

I have had a go at my local Apple supplier for offering Leopard and Toast 8 (with Sin Doctor bundled) off the same software display shelf. I get dead pan looks when challenged that these are incompatible products. The same goes for Photoshop Elements 4 (needed since 2 no longer works with Leopard) but at least with 4 as soon as you open it it comes up with an update link to sort it!

John Farnworth

Sorry, but I'm not quite sure HOW this works. I'm running CD Spin Doctor 3.1t and it does NOT work with Leopard. Are you saying there is a way to obtain an upgrade? The links I've followed have been futile. After one month, still no official word from Roxio. There are burning a lot of goodwill quickly by not providing the decency of a response.

Sorry, but I'm not quite sure HOW this works. I'm running CD Spin Doctor 3.1t and it does NOT work with Leopard. Are you saying there is a way to obtain an upgrade? The links I've followed have been futile. After one month, still no official word from Roxio. There are burning a lot of goodwill quickly by not providing the decency of a response.

If you are running the basic (original) CD Spin Doctor 3 then it will not work with Leopard. If you go back to the general Toast 7 postings on this site, top of the list, posted on 5 December, is a posting by 'Patatrox' (guy at Roxio) announcing the fixes to Toast 7 (7.1.3) and CD Spin Doctor (3.1.3). Contained in the posting is a direct link to the US update page from which you should be able to download the fix. You will need your code.

I agree with your comments about Roxio. I think our problem is in part due to CD Sin Doctor not being a Roxio product but they sell it and should support it. Most users seem to have got it as an add on to Toast which is a Roxio Product but even with that getting a reaction is bit like pulling teeth.

'Patatrox' did respond to early postings on this subject.

Just had a look at the update site - it's CD Spin Doctor 3.1.1 (Not 3.1.3 - apologies) and you have to go into the Toast 7 update history page to find it! Good Luck!

Edited by John Farnworth

If you are running the basic (original) CD Spin Doctor 3 then it will not work with Leopard. If you go back to the general Toast 7 postings on this site, top of the list, posted on 5 December, is a posting by 'Patatrox' (guy at Roxio) announcing the fixes to Toast 7 (7.1.3) and CD Spin Doctor (3.1.3). Contained in the posting is a direct link to the US update page from which you should be able to download the fix. You will need your code.

I agree with your comments about Roxio. I think our problem is in part due to CD Sin Doctor not being a Roxio product but they sell it and should support it. Most users seem to have got it as an add on to Toast which is a Roxio Product but even with that getting a reaction is bit like pulling teeth.

Just had a look at the update site - it's CD Spin Doctor 3.1.1 (Not 3.1.3 - apologies) and you have to go into the Toast 7 update history page to find it! Good Luck!

If you purchased CD Spin Doctor as a stand alone product (not bundled with Toast 7), as offered by Roxio, the update included in the Toast 7 update, is not available.

Thanks John,

Updates works well with PowerPC G5 on Leopard. Next to update the Intel Mac. thx

I have CD Spin Doctor 3.1 that was purchased as a "stand alone" applicaiton (without Toast 7).

I have been waiting for a fix for the 10.5 incompatibility since early November. Roxio has fixed version 4 as part of the Toast 8 update and version 3 as part of the Toast 7 update. However, those of us that purchased this product separately have been excluded from having a working application to this point.

Roxio has had to know for over a year that this release of CD Spin Doctor won't work with 10.5 and still it seems that they can't come up with a fix for everyone. I realized that the "stand alone Spin Doctor" installed user base is small, but we still purchased an application that was/is advertised as working with the latest Mac OS.

Another post in this forum was started by someone that purchased the stand alone version yesterday and found out it doesn't work with 10.5 Roxio's page shows system requirements of 10.3.9 and higher for this product. If they aren't going to update the stand alone base at least update the page to show that it isn't compatible with 10.5.

Contacting Roxio customer support is futile. I have 3 e-mails into them without response.

I am looking into both other software that meets my needs as well as potential remedies for my purchase of software that is being updated on an unfair basis.

An update to my previous post:

Since my last post I have tried calling Roxio's headquarters as well as sending a registered letter asking for an answer to whether or not they intend on updating Spin Doctor 3 stand alone version. The call went nowhere quick and the letter has gone unanswered in 2 weeks.

This is what we, the paying public, get from this company. Spin Doctor is marketed and sold as a stand alone product that is listed as being compatible with Mac OS 10.3.9 and above. This statement includes Mac OS 10.5 by implication. I have tried the following ways to contact Roxio regarding their lack of support for this product:

Customer Support: Entering the CD Key and e-mail address returns an error

PM to "Patatrox" has gone unanswered for over 3 weeks

Phone call to Roxio was directed to the "sales department". They in turn directed me to the web support that wouldn't take my CD key.

A registered letter to Roxio was received 2 weeks ago and has not been answered, nor have I been contacted regarding this issue.

It seems that Roxio doesn't want to acknowledge me, my questions or the lack of support for the stand alone version of CD Spin Doctor. I live in Washington State, and I will be turning this over to the consumer complaint division of the State Attorney General's Office. This might not get to far either, but they will have to respond since Roxio is a registered business in the State.

All I want is an answer........is this product going to be updated for those of us that have purchased it separately from Toast?!! Version 3 has been updated for owners of Toast 7 so making that version available for the stand alone purchasers is very easy to do. They just seem to not want to do it.

An update to this post:

I finally got into the Customer Service site. I started a "chat" with "Luke" in CS about this issue and was summarily cut off. Once I posed the question I got a response of "hold on while I check". Next response was "At all" and then no further responses. I tried a second session with "James" and the only response was "the engineering department isn't responding to my request". No further responses either.

I have come to the conclusion that Roxio isn't going to update the stand alone Spin Doctor. If they were why wouldn't they just post a simple "we're working on an update".

Edited by rooscooter

I have discovered that CD SD 2 and 3 simply do not work properly with Leopard (OS X v10.5).

I looked for the cheap solution when I found my original CD SD 2 (acquired with Toast 6) wasn't working with my Intel based iMac running Leopard. [CD SD would still hang when I press Play] So, I paid $40 to download CD SD 3, but found no difference.

The next day I bent over and paid ($100 less a $20 rebate I hope to receive) to download Toast 8 Titanium, which includes CD SD 4. It now works!

A very nice feature of CD SD 4 vs 2 is that you can export tracks directly to iTunes without having to

1) "toast" the tracks from the AIFF file

2) in Toast burn the songs to a "disc", and then

3) import that "disc" into iTunes. [all rather tedious]

The songs are automatcially converted to mpg or AAC according to your import settings in iTunes. Very convenient.

I am now trying to get a refund for the CD SD 3. Roxio should have simply stated under "System requirements" that CD SD 3 does NOT work with Leopard!

If they're going to bother selling CD SD separately, why not sell the latest version? OR

Just come clean and state that if you want the latest, greatest, and Leopard compatible version you have to buy Toast 8.