Sign in to follow this  
drs

Converting Video_TS folders/VOB files

Question

I need to convert Video_TS folder files (VOB files) to a file format compatible with Final Cut Pro and Quicktime. There's so much misinformation on the web re: this topic. For those truly in the know, what's the best, most reliable software for accomplishing this simple yet seemingly elusive conversion? If it's not Crunch, what is it?

My ultimate goal is to edit the converted files (in Final Cut or even Quicktime) and put them on my website.

Many thanks,

drsmith

6 answers to this question

The best application I've found for this is Cinematize by Miraizon. If you don't want to spend that much then you can do it with the freeware application MPEG Streamclip along with Apple's $20 Quicktime MPEG2 Playback Component. You can use either app to export the the title sets from the VIDEO_TS folder to DV for use in Final Cut. Toast can do this as well but it takes more steps.

Thanks man. Unfortunately I've already gone a few rounds with Toast and with MPEG Streamclip. Each of these programs successfully converted a few seconds of a 30-minute Video_TS folder (part of one VOB file). Multiple attempts did not help.

Cinematize certainly looks like the right tool. In your opinion, are Crunch and Popcorn NOT my answer?

Thanks again,

DRS

REPLYING TO:

The best application I've found for this is Cinematize by Miraizon. If you don't want to spend that much then you can do it with the freeware application MPEG Streamclip along with Apple's $20 Quicktime MPEG2 Playback Component. You can use either app to export the the title sets from the VIDEO_TS folder to DV for use in Final Cut. Toast can do this as well but it takes more steps.

Thanks man. Unfortunately I've already gone a few rounds with Toast and with MPEG Streamclip. Each of these programs successfully converted a few seconds of a 30-minute Video_TS folder (part of one VOB file). Multiple attempts did not help.

Cinematize certainly looks like the right tool. In your opinion, are Crunch and Popcorn NOT my answer?

Thanks again,

DRS

REPLYING TO:

Your best bet is to export to DV video for import the Final Cut. Neither Crunch nor Popcorn have this option. If you are only getting a few seconds of video from an MPEG Streamclip export then you need to Fix Timecode Breaks (Streamclip Edit menu).

To use Toast for the conversion from VIDEO_TS to DV you need to first use the Toast Media Browser to extract the MPEG video from the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder. Place the VIDEO_TS folder on the desktop and choose DVD with the Media Browser's top button to access the contents in the browser window. After Toast writes the MPEG file when dragged from the browser, you can select it and choose the DV setting in the Export window.

tsantee, you are...the guru. For those of you who want the answer to VOB conversion FOR EDITING PURPOSES, here it is:

1--Using MPEG Streamclip (free from Apple) in conjunction with the MPEG2 Quicktime plugin ($20 from Apple), open -- all at once -- all workable VOB files from the Video_TS folder. Then "Fix" the time code breaks when prompted. Then "export to DV". Note: The program creates a monstrous .DV file that's about twice the size of the original .VOB files.

2--Using Final Cut Pro, import the .DV file into a project. Now you can edit it and spit it back out as a Quicktime movie ready for your website, etc.

My goal was to extract video footage from a DVD, edit it, and put it on my website. This worked perfectly and with very little cost. Note: This is time consuming -- a real process -- but image quality and fluidity of movement in the final Quicktime movie are pretty sweet (and since i no longer have the original DV tapes of the footage i shot, this seems to be my only option).

Thanks again tsantee.

DRS

REPLYING TO:

Your best bet is to export to DV video for import the Final Cut. Neither Crunch nor Popcorn have this option. If you are only getting a few seconds of video from an MPEG Streamclip export then you need to Fix Timecode Breaks (Streamclip Edit menu).

To use Toast for the conversion from VIDEO_TS to DV you need to first use the Toast Media Browser to extract the MPEG video from the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder. Place the VIDEO_TS folder on the desktop and choose DVD with the Media Browser's top button to access the contents in the browser window. After Toast writes the MPEG file when dragged from the browser, you can select it and choose the DV setting in the Export window.

VIDEO_TS files are one of the main folders in a DVD's contents. You can usually view the Video_TS files on your computer and DVD players. However, if you want to play Video_TS in QuickTime, iTunes, iPhone, iPad, etc., or edit Video_TS files with FCP, iMovie you will need to convert Video_TS to MOV first.

Video _ TS is a short form of Video Transport System and it is basically a directory structure for a DVD movie. Majority of the DVDs contain two folders in their root directory and these are – AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS. The folder named as Video _ TS contains all the information of the DVD regarding its playback and data. The folder also contains information regarding backup files (.BUP), video object (.VOB) and information files (.IFO). Thus we can say that all the video related information in a DVD is stored in Video _ TS folder while all the audio related information is stored on Audio _ TS.

Though Video _ TS can be played on computers and DVD players but if you wish to enjoy your movies and videos with Video _ TS folder on portable devices like iPhone, PSP, Xbox 360, MP4 players, Android tablet and others, then you will have to change the format from Video _ TS to MP4.