Question

I keep getting this message:

Windows Explorer has stopped working... :angry:

How do I stop this happening? :unsure:

Help anybody

Please

Raji

36 answers to this question

Does anyone have MSN Explorer? The boards don't work with it at all, won't even open. The minute it starts, I get the Kiss of Death window asking if I want to report it or not report. I wish there was an option for just scream.

Hi Patty,

I tried installing MSN to try for you, but it won't even install without a credit card :( IE6 shuts down the same way as your describing.

Edited by karri

Guest ml
I have usually a web page opened..i.e Roxio Comm Support, checking e-mail or viewing any web site..

and then have my external drive on and saving pics or docs on it...

then all of a sudden..message appears "Windows explorer has stopped working" comes up

and then the external drive is not recognised...

I have to switch it off and on again...

but Internet Explorer does not go off...web pages are still on..

:(

I can only speculate, but my guess would be that you don't have enough RAM memory to do the two separate tasks. 1GB is the minimum for Vista.

Plus, Vista still has some bugs in it. I've only had it a couple of months, and I have more RAM than you, but occasionally applications stop working and I get error messages.

Windows (and other programs) have always appeared to have 'memory leaks' which can eat up the RAM. Rebooting is the only thing that frees it up.

If you can do it yourself and your computer can handle it, I'd recommend more RAM or rebooting more frequently, but don't expect it to cure the bugs in Vista.

I can only speculate, but my guess would be that you don't have enough RAM memory to do the two separate tasks. 1GB is the minimum for Vista.

Plus, Vista still has some bugs in it. I've only had it a couple of months, and I have more RAM than you, but occasionally applications stop working and I get error messages.

Windows (and other programs) have always appeared to have 'memory leaks' which can eat up the RAM. Rebooting is the only thing that frees it up.

If you can do it yourself and your computer can handle it, I'd recommend more RAM or rebooting more frequently, but don't expect it to cure the bugs in Vista.

Thanks ml..

much appreciated..thought I would be ok with

1GB of memory when bought vista Home Premium..obviously not..

I'll keep rebooting..

I'll think about it and get bigger RAM memory.. :(

Thanks again.. :)

Very helpful

Raji

I don't have Vista, but IE7 on XP SP2. I also have WMP11. No ptoblems with either of them and EMC 10 (or previously 9.1 deluxe).

Most problems with Internet Explorer are caused by incompatible addons (Browser helper objects, toolbars, activeX components from third parties).

Try running IE with all addons disabled. If that is stable, reenable them one by one or in small groups until you find the culprit.

The original post was on a Windows Explorer issue and should not to be confused with IE (Internet Explorer).

If the problem is repeatable, then try booting in safe mode and see if you can make it fail. If you can't make it fail then you could try disabling all services except MS and then enable one at a time until you find the culprit. It's a very time consuming process but you might find the problem.

Edited by Big_Dave

If you haven't done so already, try a "good" antivirus program and run a scan. Also, try a good spyware and malware detection program and ensure that your PC has not been infected or "hijacked".

The original post was on a Windows Explorer issue and should not to be confused with IE (Internet Explorer).

If the problem is repeatable, then try booting in safe mode and see if you can make it fail. If you can't make it fail then you could try disabling all services except MS and then enable one at a time until you find the culprit. It's a very time consuming process but you might find the problem.

My bad, I misunderstood a subsequent post that did refer to IE.

Hi Patty,

I tried installing MSN to try for you, but it won't even install without a credit card :( IE6 shuts down the same way as your describing.

Hi Karri, I am not having a problem with IE6 anymore, just MSN Explorer (the butterfly one)

Hi Karri, I am not having a problem with IE6 anymore, just MSN Explorer (the butterfly one)

Hi Patty,

Yes MSN Explorer, the butterfly one. It's on this computer but when I tried to install it to test the boards for you, it won't let me past a screen that wants my credit card to continue. I hope the trouble clears up for you soon.

Thanks ml..

much appreciated..thought I would be ok with

1GB of memory when bought vista Home Premium..obviously not..

I'll keep rebooting..

I'll think about it and get bigger RAM memory.. :(

Thanks again.. :)

Very helpful

Raji

I read a post (elsewhere) that said "Just rebooting may not clear all the memory; you need to shut down the computer and restart". I don't know if that is true or not (The rebooting part). I also googled for "clear memory" and got several hits. You might want to look. I'm not going to post them here since I haven't tried them.

Do you have something like System Mechanic? It does have a recover and defrag memory utility. I've used it and it acts as if it were doing something but I couldn't tell the difference on my desktop computer. I did see an improvement in performance with my old slow laptop (not the one in my signature). I believe that they have a free trial. If you are looking for that type of utility, you may want to try something like that. Caution, the last time I used it to fix my registry, I had to reinstall EMC 10. That was the first time I had to do that and I've been using System Mechanic for over 6 years.

I see a lot of on-line stores having sales now. That's probably for all those people who got 1G of memory on their Christmas present Vista computer. I have no trouble with 2 G on the laptop so I'm not going to go beyond that. I'm still running XP on this computer

I read a post (elsewhere) that said "Just rebooting may not clear all the memory; you need to shut down the computer and restart". I don't know if that is true or not (The rebooting part). I also googled for "clear memory" and got several hits. You might want to look. I'm not going to post them here since I haven't tried them.

Do you have something like System Mechanic? It does have a recover and defrag memory utility. I've used it and it acts as if it were doing something but I couldn't tell the difference on my desktop computer. I did see an improvement in performance with my old slow laptop (not the one in my signature). I believe that they have a free trial. If you are looking for that type of utility, you may want to try something like that. Caution, the last time I used it to fix my registry, I had to reinstall EMC 10. That was the first time I had to do that and I've been using System Mechanic for over 6 years.

I see a lot of on-line stores having sales now. That's probably for all those people who got 1G of memory on their Christmas present Vista computer. I have no trouble with 2 G on the laptop so I'm not going to go beyond that. I'm still running XP on this computer

Thanks Sknis..much appreciated :)

I have done a reset of Internat Explorer Settings so far

and did a Reg Cure Fix..and had to reinstall Norton 360.

Ended up doing a DVD EMC 10 repair...

and I have still not got the EMC 10 welcome page but

everything else is working so far...

and I have not had the error messages about

Windows Explorer has stopped working no more..touch wood: :lol:

I am thinking of adding more memory in the near future..

Thanks again..