marlinsinger

Problems logging in

Question

Anyone else have problems logging in after the update. I had to go through the forgot password process and reset my password to get in. Was not giving me a password error, just would not log in.

Edited by marlinsinger

54 answers to this question

My HTML instructor used Netscape exclusively becaue it would gag on coding errors, useful if you are grading HTML.)

Been a while since you took the course, huh? Netscape is now dead. Designers now use the W3C to check both html and css for errors. With xhtml (which I've been using for 5 years) upper case is also dead. ;)

The font thing is easily cured by selecting specific fonts (if you like) but always concluding with a general Serif or Sans-serif designation.

And yeah you're correct that IE 6 is a buggy POS but not as buggy as Netscape 4.x - that was a real minefield to negotiate with a tableless design. It required all sorts of hacks and then resetting of rules to make other browsers happy.

Edited by sisterscape

Been a while since you took the course, huh? Netscape is now dead. Designers now use the W3C to check both html and css for errors. With xhtml (which I've been using for 5 years) upper case is also dead. ;)

The font thing is easily cured by selecting specific fonts (if you like) but always concluding with a general Serif or Sans-serif designation.

And yeah you're correct that IE 6 is a buggy POS but not as buggy as Netscape 4.x - that was a real minefield to negotiate with a tableless design. It required all sorts of hacks and then resetting of rules to make other browsers happy.

Yeah, it's been a few years. One of my classmates persuaded the school to offer Webpage Design with Dreamweaver instead of Notepad. :)

But as you say, and the point Brendon was focusing on, is if you don't have the alternate code in there, the browser crashes. (I like the way with IE you can have Notepad and the browser open, and save the change then refresh the browser. Netscape wasn't as accomodating - I only used it as a check.)

Lynn

One of my classmates persuaded the school to offer Webpage Design with Dreamweaver instead of Notepad. :)

That was a step backwards IMO. I have never used Dreamweaver (being old-school hand-coding type) but my "coding-challenged" friends have told me that Dreamweaver chokes on my perfectly functioning and validated code. All WYSIWYG editors suck. Dreamweaver may be the best of the lot but that's not saying much as it can still throw out junk code. All the "real" designers I know use it as a text editor which seems like a big waste of money when there are excellent text editors out there like NoteTab, my personal fav.

That was a step backwards IMO. I have never used Dreamweaver (being old-school hand-coding type) but my "coding-challenged" friends have told me that Dreamweaver chokes on my perfectly functioning and validated code. All WYSIWYG editors suck. Dreamweaver may be the best of the lot but that's not saying much as it can still throw out junk code. All the "real" designers I know use it as a text editor which seems like a big waste of money when there are excellent text editors out there like NoteTab, my personal fav.

My software Guru uses Dreamweaver, but my understanding is she has modified the program code to suit her needs. What I do for her is basicly data-entry, and I've not used Dreamweaver elsewhere (altho I can and do go into code for things like umlauts and tildas).

However, I've forgotten the names of the text editors she's mentioned - not Notepad - for when she is making modifications.

Lynn