• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pooka7

Pooka7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:18 AM

I am trying to make a CD/DVD slideshow using HP Photosmart Premier 6.5.  I bought the download of Sonic DVD Slideshow for my Sonic Record Now Version 6.5.  After preparing the slideshow and trying to burn to a CD, I get the error message "Could not find a valid write device."  I hope someone can help me.  I've spent 2 hours trying to find solutions at the Sonic and HP sites.  I'm getting very frustrated.
Pooka7 Has Left The Building.

#2 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:45 AM

One thing you need to burn a DVD is a DVD burner.

What is the id string of your burner?  Right click MyComputer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager > click on the "+" by the DVD/CD-ROM icon and tell us the exact id string - upper case and lower case exactly as you see it, space for space.

Lynn

#3 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,157 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE (Pooka7 @ Jan 13 2008, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am trying to make a CD/DVD slideshow using HP Photosmart Premier 6.5.  I bought the download of Sonic DVD Slideshow for my Sonic Record Now Version 6.5.  After preparing the slideshow and trying to burn to a CD, I get the error message "Could not find a valid write device."  I hope someone can help me.  I've spent 2 hours trying to find solutions at the Sonic and HP sites.  I'm getting very frustrated.

Okay, I see you're trying to burn a CD, but you have mentioned  HP Photosmart Premier 6.5; Sonic DVD Slideshow; and Sonic Record Now Version 6.5.
Which of those three applications is giving you that error, please?

Brendon
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

"I did it until . . "

#4 Pooka7

Pooka7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (lynn98109 @ Jan 13 2008, 04:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One thing you need to burn a DVD is a DVD burner.

What is the id string of your burner?  Right click MyComputer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager > click on the "+" by the DVD/CD-ROM icon and tell us the exact id string - upper case and lower case exactly as you see it, space for space.

Lynn

I don't have a DVD burner.  I thought I needed the Sonic DVD Slideshow in order to burn a CD that would play on most DVD players.  However, I got the same error message when I tried burning the slideshow to a CD.  Here are my id strings under  DVD/CD-ROM drives:
     HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8483B
     SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616E

#5 Pooka7

Pooka7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE (Brendon @ Jan 13 2008, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay, I see you're trying to burn a CD, but you have mentioned  HP Photosmart Premier 6.5; Sonic DVD Slideshow; and Sonic Record Now Version 6.5.
Which of those three applications is giving you that error, please?

Brendon

I am in the HP Photosmart Premier 6.5 when I get the error message.
Thanks for your help.

#6 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,853 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (Pooka7 @ Jan 13 2008, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't have a DVD burner.  I thought I needed the Sonic DVD Slideshow in order to burn a CD that would play on most DVD players.  However, I got the same error message when I tried burning the slideshow to a CD.  Here are my id strings under  DVD/CD-ROM drives:
     HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8483B
     SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616E

Many DVD players do not play slideshows on a CD (known as a VDC or SVCD). Before going any further check your DVD player if it will play VCD or SVCD. Most likely the Sonic DVD Slideshow program cannot even create a VCD or SVCD but will only work with DVDs.
Your best bet would be to get a DVD burner to replace your CD burner.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#7 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,157 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE (Pooka7 @ Jan 13 2008, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am in the HP Photosmart Premier 6.5 when I get the error message.
Thanks for your help.

We would like to help you in your difficulty with HP Photosmart Premier 6.5, but unless there is somebody around here who just happens to have that software, you might be better off asking someone at HP or their support.

Is there anybody reading this who has HP Photosmart Premier 6.5 and can help Pooka7 ??

P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

"I did it until . . "

#8 karri

karri

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,519 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:22 AM

QUOTE (Brendon @ Jan 14 2008, 03:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We would like to help you in your difficulty with HP Photosmart Premier 6.5, but unless there is somebody around here who just happens to have that software, you might be better off asking someone at HP or their support.

Is there anybody reading this who has HP Photosmart Premier 6.5 and can help Pooka7 ??

I have HP PhotoSmart Premier 6.5 on this computer. It offers two choices to create a CD:

PC Slide Show for playback on a PC
  and
  Video CD Slideshow for playback on most standard DVD players.

My understanding is that to enable VCD burning, you either have to register to activate the HP Photosmart Premier OR purchase Sonic DVD Slideshow. Since Pooka now has Sonic DVD Slideshow, it sounds like a separate program and so might not require using Premier at all.

I tried to activate the VCD capability in Premier, but IE crashed in the process (perhaps due to the current server problems). Since IE is the only browser allowed for the process, I can't help there, but maybe trying to use the Sonic program only, without going through Premier -- if it allows that -- might be another step to try.

(Also, the purchase page doesn't display the Sonic SlideShow product anymore, even though it still appears on the product page; it puts another HP program in your cart, HP Photosmart Essential.)

Edited by karri, 14 January 2008 - 07:23 AM.

Dell Studio XPS (desktop)
Windows 7 | Core i7 | 12 GB Memory |
ATI HD 5870

Dell Studio XPS (laptop)
Windows 7 | Core i7 | 4 GB Memory
| ATI HD 5730

Roxio
Creator 2012

Creator 2009-12 / Easy Media Creator Tutorials
Roxio Tutorials on Youtube
Roxio Central Learning Center

Roxio MyMoments Tips and Tutorials