• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sharon_89

sharon_89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:04 PM

Given that Jam's audio features are built-in to Toast now, I'm trying to update many old Jam playlists without them messing up.

This doesn't seem possible - I have Jam 5, 6 and Toast 8, but it seems I have to stay with Jam 5 on a non intel mac. Toast desn't open jam files at all, and opening a Jam 5 file in Jam 6 loses all gain and crossfade info. Saving everything out as disk images I guess is an option, but not a quick option.

Is there an easy way to get Jam playlists assessible in Toast?
If not, is there a way for Jam 5 files to open in Jam 6 without losing gain and fades?

ta
sharon

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,369 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:29 PM

There is no way to get Jam playlists into Toast. What you can do is choose Save as Disc Image (I presume that's available in Jam 5 as it is in Jam 6) and open the resulting .sd2f file in Toast 8. What this means is all the settings in Jam are applied to the audio files before adding them to Toast.

I never had Jam 5 so don't know what is required to move Jam 5 playlists to Jam 6.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 ghobish

ghobish

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE (tsantee @ Jan 22 2008, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is no way to get Jam playlists into Toast. What you can do is choose Save as Disc Image (I presume that's available in Jam 5 as it is in Jam 6) and open the resulting .sd2f file in Toast 8. What this means is all the settings in Jam are applied to the audio files before adding them to Toast.

I never had Jam 5 so don't know what is required to move Jam 5 playlists to Jam 6.

Jam 6 works fine under Rosetta on Intel machines.

The problem I'm having is that Jam 6 will not operate under Leopard (I'm on a G5). It crashes if you play audio and then do anything else.

Unfortunately I have many hundreds of sessions stored as Jam ".disc" files that can no longer be used. Although I can keep Jam open long enough to save as a disc image (it quits after writing the image), the image does NOT contain ISRC or UPC codes that Jam could embed in the burned discs,

As far as I can tell Toast 8 does not burn such PQ and subcode information (other than CD-TEXT) nor will it print the playlist with start/stop/puse/ PQ & subcode data like Jam will.  As such it is NOT a replacement for JAM as a Redbook CD burning application, and is now forcing me to move to much more expensive applications for such purposes. angry.gif
===========

Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering, San Francisco

#4 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,369 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (ghobish @ Feb 8 2008, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jam 6 works fine under Rosetta on Intel machines.

The problem I'm having is that Jam 6 will not operate under Leopard (I'm on a G5). It crashes if you play audio and then do anything else.

Unfortunately I have many hundreds of sessions stored as Jam ".disc" files that can no longer be used. Although I can keep Jam open long enough to save as a disc image (it quits after writing the image), the image does NOT contain ISRC or UPC codes that Jam could embed in the burned discs,

As far as I can tell Toast 8 does not burn such PQ and subcode information (other than CD-TEXT) nor will it print the playlist with start/stop/puse/ PQ & subcode data like Jam will.  As such it is NOT a replacement for JAM as a Redbook CD burning application, and is now forcing me to move to much more expensive applications for such purposes. angry.gif

Given your situation it probably is a good idea to install Tiger on an external hard drive and to boot from that whenever you need to access those Jam playlists. Don't upgrade QuickTime from the version that is included with your Tiger install disc.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#5 ghobish

ghobish

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (tsantee @ Feb 8 2008, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Given your situation it probably is a good idea to install Tiger on an external hard drive and to boot from that whenever you need to access those Jam playlists. Don't upgrade QuickTime from the version that is included with your Tiger install disc.

I will certainly keep Tiger around.

Since writing that rather ranting post, i HAVE discovered the "show advanced audio mastering" preference, which does address IRSC, UPC, etc. (though it still can't print a report). And yes, the disc image generated in JAM DOES carry these subcodes. mellow.gif

I think you're on the mark with your Quicktime suggestion. I had the same problem of quitting after playing audio or after burning in Toast 8.03. I disable the "bing" in Prefs and just ran a test, and it did not crash after the burn. Not only that, but with the "bing" disabled I can play audio jumping from track to track with no problem! (It still crashes after playing audio in the Crossfades window, at least under Quicktime 7.4.1.) Hopefully the next update of Toast will address this (though I don't realistically expect them to update Jam).

Then if Toast could crossfade a negative space longer than 20 seconds (I do a lot of live records and commonly describe the applause between tracks as a countdown) and could print reports I'd be fine with it...
===========

Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering, San Francisco

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users