• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bumblepot

bumblepot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:00 AM

I'm using CD & DVD Creator 6 and I'm trying to burn to a DVD, as a Data CD. The Creator Classic is open, the folders and files selected, and it wont burn. I get the message that it is unable to recognize the device. I have selected the icon to change the Default Recorder and nothing begins. I have used the drive to burn regular CDs not but a few days prior.

I have Formated a DVD, nothing; warm-booted, nothing; cold-booted, nothing; checked a regular CD, nothing. One thing I haven't tried was seeing if another data DVD will Retreive but I would venture to guess if the regular CD opens, then a DVD will too.
unsure.gif

#2 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,181 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (bumblepot @ Feb 4 2008, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm using CD & DVD Creator 6 and I'm trying to burn to a DVD, as a Data CD. The Creator Classic is open, the folders and files selected, and it wont burn. I get the message that it is unable to recognize the device. I have selected the icon to change the Default Recorder and nothing begins. I have used the drive to burn regular CDs not but a few days prior.

I have Formated a DVD, nothing; warm-booted, nothing; cold-booted, nothing; checked a regular CD, nothing. One thing I haven't tried was seeing if another data DVD will Retreive but I would venture to guess if the regular CD opens, then a DVD will too.
unsure.gif

Have you tried using the built in burning capabilities of XP to burn a CD (just do a test on a small file using a RW)....this will at least prove whether your burner is ok.

Also what do you mean by "seeing if another data DVD will Retreive " ?.

Edited by ogdens, 04 February 2008 - 11:47 AM.

#3 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:34 PM

If you have formatted the disc and are trying to use Creator Classic, you have confused two very different types of burning.

For Creator Classic, use a disc right out of the package or off the spindle - DO NOT FORMAT.

For Packet-Writing, which can be used for temporary things like moving files from one computer to another when the original is safely on the originating computer, you format the disc.  After formatting, the disc cannot be used for anything other than whichever Packet-Writing program (Drag2Disc, DirectCD, Nero's InCD, Sonic's DLA, etc) formatted it - the programs are usually incompatible with each other and often with other Versions of the same program.  The only exception is if it is a RW disc, and you erase the ENTIRE disc and start over.  (BTW, RW media is not stable enough to do long-term backups of anything you want to KEEP.)

So if you formatted the DVD, it is no longer usable by Creator Classic.

Lynn

Edited by lynn98109, 04 February 2008 - 01:36 PM.

#4 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,573 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:40 AM

So far the only thing working for sure is the CD laser, you have done nothing that will test the DVD Laser…

If CD's work it only means that CD's work and you cannot make the leap that it means the drive is OK.

It does appear to be a case where Classic is not recognizing the DVD drive to be sure there is a simple test.

In Classic under Tools there is a utility to test the drive. Run it and tell us what it says.

Posted Image

#5 bumblepot

bumblepot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:15 AM

QUOTE (Jim_Hardin @ Feb 5 2008, 03:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So far the only thing working for sure is the CD laser, you have done nothing that will test the DVD Laser…

If CD's work it only means that CD's work and you cannot make the leap that it means the drive is OK.

It does appear to be a case where Classic is not recognizing the DVD drive to be sure there is a simple test.

In Classic under Tools there is a utility to test the drive. Run it and tell us what it says.

unsure.gif Hello Jim,

I have run the Tools > System Tests... > Data Transfer Rate Test.  I have that and an audio one. The Data one gave me: Small files 4x, Large files 35x, Read Speed 41x. It is a Plextor DVDR PX-760A, running Windows XP Home.

#6 bumblepot

bumblepot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE (lynn98109 @ Feb 4 2008, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you have formatted the disc and are trying to use Creator Classic, you have confused two very different types of burning.

For Creator Classic, use a disc right out of the package or off the spindle - DO NOT FORMAT.

For Packet-Writing, which can be used for temporary things like moving files from one computer to another when the original is safely on the originating computer, you format the disc.  After formatting, the disc cannot be used for anything other than whichever Packet-Writing program (Drag2Disc, DirectCD, Nero's InCD, Sonic's DLA, etc) formatted it - the programs are usually incompatible with each other and often with other Versions of the same program.  The only exception is if it is a RW disc, and you erase the ENTIRE disc and start over.  (BTW, RW media is not stable enough to do long-term backups of anything you want to KEEP.)

So if you formatted the DVD, it is no longer usable by Creator Classic.

Lynn

unsure.gif Hello Lynn,

I have retried it by opening up Creator Classic and the existing Project, and nothing.

#7 bumblepot

bumblepot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (ogdens @ Feb 4 2008, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you tried using the built in burning capabilities of XP to burn a CD (just do a test on a small file using a RW)....this will at least prove whether your burner is ok.

Also what do you mean by "seeing if another data DVD will Retreive " ?.

rolleyes.gif Hello Ogdens,

I have used XP to burn a CD successfully.

#8 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,185 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:39 AM

Read your manual, page 68 or this online manual,  click here.
Self-test diagnostics: The PX-760 has a self-test diagnostic function
for easy troubleshooting.

cd
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#9 DZin

DZin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:32 AM

I'm having the exact same problem with my ECDC 6. I've had this problem for a few months now and still can't fix it. I'm just using Power ISO to burn my DVDs (which works perfectly fine).
ECDC used to work fine on the same DVD burner on the same machine with the same OS. The next thing I know, ECDC 6 displays None under Default Recorder. I am not able to select my recorder anymore. I've tried clean installing ECDC 6 again to no avail. I've tested to see if my recorder was burning fine and it is. It shows no problems burning DVDs with PowerISO. Some advice is appreciated. I'd like to use Roxio again for creating DVDs.

#10 bumblepot

bumblepot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (cdanteek @ Feb 5 2008, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cd

unsure.gif

I downloaded the manual, read the section about the self test, ran the self test, everything went well but ran ECDC and it still doesn't recognize the drive.

#11 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,185 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (bumblepot @ Feb 7 2008, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
unsure.gif

I downloaded the manual, read the section about the self test, ran the self test, everything went well but ran ECDC and it still doesn't recognize the drive.

"Went well" is that saying it passed? If so the drive is fine! Try #5 in my signature, reboot and see if the fix worked.

cd
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

#12 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,220 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:16 PM

That's a very handy sig. you have there, cd.

goodpost_t.gif
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

"I did it until . . "

#13 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,185 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:04 AM

QUOTE (Brendon @ Feb 7 2008, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's a very handy sig. you have there, cd.

goodpost_t.gif

Thank you, Far South + EAST.... smile.gif

cd
cd
Spoiler

#14 bumblepot

bumblepot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (cdanteek @ Feb 7 2008, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Went well" is that saying it passed? If so the drive is fine! Try #5 in my signature, reboot and see if the fix worked.

cd

Yes it - I gather it did, the drive "accepted" the disk, whirled, the light blinked green then orange (in quick succession) and then ejected. It, by their description, passed the test.

I downloaded #5 before but I never rebo mellow.gif oted directly after, I did shutdown and restarted the next morning, still not showing. I will run #5 and reboot directly after and let you know.

Thank you for your assistance. I will repost in a bit.

Bumblepot

#15 bumblepot

bumblepot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (cdanteek @ Feb 5 2008, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cd

I just ran the app. and rebooted, and nothing. Argh!

#16 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,185 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE (bumblepot @ Feb 8 2008, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just ran the app. and rebooted, and nothing. Argh!

Bumblepot, just so there is no misunderstanding the steps below. Alot more to it than,

Yes it - I gather it did, the drive "accepted" the disk, whirled, the light blinked green then orange (in quick succession) and then ejected. It, by their description, passed the test.

Now is this what you did below??

Using the PX-760SA Self-Test Diagnostics
The PX-760SA drive contains a set of self-test diagnostics that can help
isolate trouble and determine if a problem is in the drive or elsewhere.

NOTE: Using the self-test diagnostics requires opening the computer and
adding a jumper to the rear panel of the drive. If you’re are not
comfortable with opening your PC and adding a jumper, you may want to
let someone with more experience handle this aspect of troubleshooting
for you.
To perform the tests you’ll need:
• Tools to remove the computer’s cover
• A jumper (supplied)
• A blank piece of Plextor-recommended DVD+R, DVD-R, or CD-R
media. (See page 78 or visit our web site.) The self-test will write to
this media, so you won’t be able to use this disc again.
This tests three functions of the drive: writing at maximum speed,
continuous playback at maximum speed, and random access.
To perform the self-test:
1. Turn the computer’s power OFF, unplug it from its power source,
and open the computer to gain access to the rear of the PX-760SA
drive. Typically, this involves loosening or removing several screws
on the back panel of your computer and sliding off the cover. (See
Figure 21 for an example.)
CAUTION: Before you attempt to open your computer be sure to
properly ground yourself by wearing an anti-static wristband. This will
help prevent static damage to your computer system.
You should be able to see the back of the PX-760SA drive connected
to the SATA cable and power connector. There are two cable
connections to the drive: the left-hand connection is a 15-pin SATA
power cable. The right-hand connection is a 7-pin SATA interface
cable.
NOTE: You may have to remove the drive from the computer to
perform the next two steps.
Section 5. Maintenance and Troubleshooting
PX-760 Installation and Users Manual 69
2. Hold the SATA interface cable (the right-hand cable) at its
connection to the PX-760SA drive. Carefully remove the SATA
cable from the drive by pulling the cable gently rearward. Leave the
SATA power cable attached to the drive.
3. Note the self-test/DMA jumper at the rear of the PX-760SA. If no
jumper is installed, place a jumper across the two pins.
Figure 39: Add the PX-760SA self-test/DMA jumper to
enable the self-test diagnostics
4. If you removed the drive for access to the cable and self-test/DMA
jumper, slide it back into the computer and reconnect the power
cable to the drive. (Do not connect the SATA interface cable.)
5. Replace the computer’s cover and re-connect the computer’s power
cord to the power source.
CAUTION: Turning on the computer power without first replacing the
cover can be dangerous to the computer’s components and also to
you. Be aware of the danger of electric shock and do not touch any
components inside the computer.
6. While pressing the PX-760SA’s eject button, turn the computer
power on. The drive’s LED indicator blinks green, then amber, and
the tray ejects.
7. Insert a blank Plextor-recommended DVD±R or CD-R disc. Be sure
to use only media of the type recommended by Plextor.
􀂉 If the LED indicator blinks amber three times, the loaded disc is
not a blank DVD±R or CD-R disc. Remove the disc and insert a
blank, Plextor-recommended DVD±R or CD-R disc.
8. The drive begins the diagnostic routine. Upon completion of the
diagnostic, you see the results:
􀂉 If there was no problem, the disc is ejected automatically.
􀂉 If there was a problem, the disc is not ejected, and you see the
LED indicator blink green:
One green blink indicates a write or read error.
Two green blinks indicate an initialization error.
Three green blinks indicate the disc is not blank or cannot be
detected properly.
9. If the disc was not ejected automatically, press the eject button to
eject the disc.
10. Turn off the computer power.
11. Reset the self-test/DMA jumper at the rear of the PX-760SA to its
original setting as noted in Step 3 above.
12. Reconnect the SATA interface cable to the PX-760SA drive. If you
removed the drive to gain access to the cable or jumpers, replace the
drive in the computer. Then replace the computer cover.
If you discover a problem with the PX-760SA drive, do not attempt to
service the drive yourself. Contact us to get an RMA number and take
steps to return the drive to Plextor. See “Returns” on page 91 for details.

Read these two post at the top of the V6 forum.

Pinned: Drive Support for new model drives John at Roxio

Pinned: Version Confusion
Here is some clarification John at Roxio

cd
cd
Spoiler

#17 rushr30

rushr30

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (cdanteek @ Feb 7 2008, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cd

cd,
Thanks for your advice.  I've encountered a similar problem over the weekend with Roxio not recognising either my D drive or external E drive.  I tried number 5 on your list and it worked.  Many thanks.

#18 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,185 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE (rushr30 @ Feb 11 2008, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cd,
Thanks for your advice.  I've encountered a similar problem over the weekend with Roxio not recognising either my D drive or external E drive.  I tried number 5 on your list and it worked.  Many thanks.

Someone did mention "That's a very handy sig. you have there"  smile.gif

cd
cd
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users