Guest RCD74

For Those With Emc 9 & 10....

Question

Guest RCD74

Are these programs interchangeable - so if I burn an ISO in EMC9, can I use disc copier in 10 to burn the image to a disc, or vice versa? I am getting a new computer (and plan to buy and install 10 on it) and want to transfer some of my files from the one I use now to my new one. Just wondering if I can transfer stuff from one to the other. Thanks.

Rachel

Yes, you can use copy&convert (that's what it is called in EMC 10) to burn an ISO created in EMC 9, and vice-versa.

Edited by malatekid

Guest RCD74
Yes, you can use copy&convert (that's what it is called in EMC 10) to burn an ISO created in EMC 9, and vice-versa.

Great. I assume everything else is interchangeable too?? Thanks so much!!

Rachel

Are these programs interchangeable - so if I burn an ISO in EMC9, can I use disc copier in 10 to burn the image to a disc, or vice versa? I am getting a new computer (and plan to buy and install 10 on it) and want to transfer some of my files from the one I use now to my new one. Just wondering if I can transfer stuff from one to the other. Thanks.

Rachel

A c2d Roxio Image video file only in EMC 10. Someone thought it was a good idea to remove the audio functions of disc copier in version 10! :wacko:

cd

I am getting a new computer (and plan to buy and install 10 on it) and want to transfer some of my files from the one I use now to my new one. Just wondering if I can transfer stuff from one to the other. Thanks.
When transferring production and project files, remember these files contain NO VIDEO or images. They only 'point' to the location of the video/image files. If the files are not in the exact same location, you will get an error message and a choice to point to the newly located files.

Guest RCD74
When transferring production and project files, remember these files contain NO VIDEO or images. They only 'point' to the location of the video/image files. If the files are not in the exact same location, you will get an error message and a choice to point to the newly located files.

YES, thanks Gary - I do realize that and will NOT transfer any Videowave projects in the making. Thanks!!

Rachel

Edited by RCD74

YES, thanks Gary - I do realize that and will NOT transfer any Videowave projects in the making. Thanks!!

Rachel

What new computer are you getting? Just for conversation purposes. :)

Guest RCD74
What new computer are you getting? Just for conversation purposes. :)

I am getting a Dell XPS 420. Here are some of the specs:

3GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz

500GB NCQ Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM) w/ 16MB DataBurst Cache

256MB Radeon ATI HD 2600 XT

48X Combo and 16X DVD+/-RW with double layer write capability

Multimedia TV TUNER,TVT9 + Basic Remote - Hauppage WinTV 1250

Windows Vista Home Premium with digital cable support

I should get it next week - I hope. How does it sound? I am so excited!!! It is a far cry from the Dell Dimension E310 I use now!! Thanks for asking!! :)

Rachel

I am getting a Dell XPS 420. Here are some of the specs:

3GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz

500GB NCQ Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM) w/ 16MB DataBurst Cache

256MB Radeon ATI HD 2600 XT

48X Combo and 16X DVD+/-RW with double layer write capability

Multimedia TV TUNER,TVT9 + Basic Remote - Hauppage WinTV 1250

Windows Vista Home Premium with digital cable support

I should get it next week - I hope. How does it sound? I am so excited!!! It is a far cry from the Dell Dimension E310 I use now!! Thanks for asking!! :)

Rachel

That's the first system I've seen configured with the Hauppauge 1250 tuner. Sounds like you got what you need to do some great video work. I guess you'll have to remove the lite version of Roxio (or whatever is installed) and install EMC10. I'd be interested in knowing what version of EMC you get if pre-installed. I've not seen anyone with v10 pre-installed to know what is and what is not included.

Guest RCD74
That's the first system I've seen configured with the Hauppauge 1250 tuner. Sounds like you got what you need to do some great video work. I guess you'll have to remove the lite version of Roxio (or whatever is installed) and install EMC10. I'd be interested in knowing what version of EMC you get if pre-installed. I've not seen anyone with v10 pre-installed to know what is and what is not included.

Paul - The Hauppage was an option to get for an extra $60 so I got it. Now I am wondering if I should have. It does come with Roxio Creator Premier. The first thing I will do is remove that and install 10. I will probably buy the boxed version from Roxio next week some time before getting the computer.

Rachel

Paul - The Hauppage was an option to get for an extra $60 so I got it. Now I am wondering if I should have. It does come with Roxio Creator Premier. The first thing I will do is remove that and install 10. I will probably buy the boxed version from Roxio next week some time before getting the computer.

Rachel

Rachel, that card is a relatively new one and is able to get over the air HD channels. I think it should also be able to work with analog cable channels. That's the wave of the near future. And, not a bad price. Vista Media Center will be what you use to watch TV if you want. I'm sure it can't come soon enough for you too. :)

Rachel

The computer looks good, Rachel. How did you convince your husband to go along with getting it? It looks like it won't be too long before you connect that Sony DCR-HC96 to the computer! High fives to you!

BTW, how did the tripod work for you?

Guest RCD74
Rachel, that card is a relatively new one and is able to get over the air HD channels. I think it should also be able to work with analog cable channels. That's the wave of the near future. And, not a bad price. Vista Media Center will be what you use to watch TV if you want. I'm sure it can't come soon enough for you too. :)

So Paul, with this hauppage I don't have to hook it up to my comcast cable line?? If that is the case, I will be very happy b/c my computer is not near a cable jack. Do I have to pay extra to get these channels?? I am clueless to what I even bought!! I was just hoping that the hauppage will allow me to transfer vhs to dvd by hooking up my vcr to it. Can it do that?? Thanks!!

Rachel

Guest RCD74
The computer looks good, Rachel. How did you convince your husband to go along with getting it? It looks like it won't be too long before you connect that Sony DCR-HC96 to the computer! High fives to you!

BTW, how did the tripod work for you?

Hey Bruce - Thanks. Do you really want to know how I convinced him!! <_< Just kidding!! :) He wanted to get me a birthday gift and was planning on getting me the Nintendo Wii (since I love guitar hero), however, I told him that I am really into my video editing hobby (that I have even turned into a little money-making side business) and NEED a new computer!! He was happy to get it for me if it meant getting out of his office in our house since that is where our current computer is!! Anyway, I am very excited about getting this new computer and CANNOT wait to hook my Sony handycam up via the firewire!! I am sure I will have TONS of questions so expect a few PMs from me in the next few weeks!! <_<

As for the tripod - it is great!! I bought a Kodak one for like $40 and I was able to videotape my daughter's little school performance AND take still pics with my digital camera since I didn't have to hold the camcorder during the performance. I love multi-tasking!! The tripod isn't fancy but it is sturdy and does the trick. Thanks for asking!!

Rachel

So Paul, with this hauppage I don't have to hook it up to my comcast cable line?? If that is the case, I will be very happy b/c my computer is not near a cable jack. Do I have to pay extra to get these channels?? I am clueless to what I even bought!! I was just hoping that the hauppage will allow me to transfer vhs to dvd by hooking up my vcr to it. Can it do that?? Thanks!!

Rachel

I believe you can either connect an over the air antennae for free, HD channels or your Comcast cable directly into the tuner. I have my cable connected to my tuner but it is not HD ready. You would then use Windows Media Center (or other software if you wish) to watch tv. You won't get any digital channels or pay channels but should have no problems getting analog channels. You need to first run Media Center setup so that it can log your channels and get your local tv guide.

When you get to that point, you know how to contact me for help. :)

Guest ml
I was just hoping that the hauppage will allow me to transfer vhs to dvd by hooking up my vcr to it. Can it do that?? Thanks!!

Rachel

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I think you need to look into what the Hauppage card is actually capable of capturing if you want to capture from a VCR.

Since it's got a Dell number on it, I'm not sure, but if it's similar to this one http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr1250.html the connections are pretty basic. It's got a s-video input and a composite audio input which are meant to connect to a TV, not a VCR.

You really need a card with the yellow video, Left and right audio connections as well as the s-video connection if you want to capture from a VCR.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I think you need to look into what the Hauppage card is actually capable of capturing if you want to capture from a VCR.

Since it's got a Dell number on it, I'm not sure, but if it's similar to this one http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr1250.html the connections are pretty basic. It's got a s-video input and a composite audio input which are meant to connect to a TV, not a VCR.

You really need a card with the yellow video, Left and right audio connections as well as the s-video connection if you want to capture from a VCR.

You bring up a good point ml. Very few of their cards have those inputs (my pvr500 does) and they are phasing out a few models this year from the forum info I've recently read and may just sell them to OEM's. However, it appears you can do it with the S video but I've never tried it.

You can get pdf versions of the manual and install info http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hvr1250.html

You can also buy external devices that will connect your VCR to your computer via USB but again, I've not tried that either. <_<

I've found Hauppauge tuners to be pretty durable. I used the PVR350 for years and it still runs in another computer and I have to PVR500's but I don't like their native software at all. Too dumbed down.

Guest RCD74

Yes, ML, that is what I am afraid of. I just want something that will allow me to transfer my vhs to dvd and I remember reading on the forums that Paul and Karri had a Happauge device - When I saw that I could get it with my computer, I just ordered it. Now, I am not sure if it can even do what I want. The TV tuner will be a nice luxury, but not really what I intended to use the Hauppage for. I may give Dell a call to find out exactly what this tuner can do!! Thanks for your input!!

Rachel

you know how to contact me for help. :)

Yes, aren't you sorry that you gave me your contact info.!! :) Don't be surprised when you hear from me next week. I am already making a list of questions!! :rolleyes:

Rachel

Guest ml
I may give Dell a call to find out exactly what this tuner can do!! Thanks for your input!

Rachel

Someone else posted that they were having trouble using a capture card that Dell had sold them. He wanted to do exactly what you want to do and Dell kept pointing him in the wrong direction.

I searched the Dell site for the other person and couldn't find a card that would fit your needs.

You might be better off buying the DELUXE version of EMC 10 ( you did mention that you're going to buy v 10 ) and use the included Dazzle device to capture from the VCR. It connects to the USB port.

Guest RCD74
Someone else posted that they were having trouble using a capture card that Dell had sold them. He wanted to do exactly what you want to do and Dell kept pointing him in the wrong direction.

I searched the Dell site for the other person and couldn't find a card that would fit your needs.

You might be better off buying the DELUXE version of EMC 10 ( you did mention that you're going to buy v 10 ) and use the included Dazzle device to capture from the VCR. It connects to the USB port.

Thanks for your help, ml. I spoke to Dell and they assured me that the hauppage tuner WILL be able to connect to a vcr with the audio and video cables. He actually made me feel stupid and said "that is what a tuner does". I have learned my lesson when dealing with Dell. You can talk to 5 different people there, and get 5 different answers!! We shall see. I was actually thinking about what you suggested and getting the v10 deluxe for dazzle. Thanks again for all of your input!

Rachel

Thanks for your help, ml. I spoke to Dell and they assured me that the hauppage tuner WILL be able to connect to a vcr with the audio and video cables. He actually made me feel stupid and said "that is what a tuner does". I have learned my lesson when dealing with Dell. You can talk to 5 different people there, and get 5 different answers!! We shall see. I was actually thinking about what you suggested and getting the v10 deluxe for dazzle. Thanks again for all of your input!

Rachel

The real question is, of the 5 answers, are any of them right???

Rachel

I see they list that card as a 'Hybrid' but I really don't see how they can say it works with standard A/V cables. But it does have S-Video. Let us know when you get it.

Yes, ML, that is what I am afraid of. I just want something that will allow me to transfer my vhs to dvd and I remember reading on the forums that Paul and Karri had a Happauge device - When I saw that I could get it with my computer, I just ordered it. Now, I am not sure if it can even do what I want. The TV tuner will be a nice luxury, but not really what I intended to use the Hauppage for. I may give Dell a call to find out exactly what this tuner can do!! Thanks for your input!!

Rachel

Yes, aren't you sorry that you gave me your contact info.!! :) Don't be surprised when you hear from me next week. I am already making a list of questions!! :rolleyes:

Rachel

Rachel, you can use your DCR-HC96 as a pass through from your VCR. You have to get the right cable to do it, though, to connect the VCR to the Handycam. The Handycam is connected to the computer via firewire.

You can also capture your VCR output by using the RF connector (Coax). Connect the "To TV" coax connection of the vcr to the antenna/cable connection of the tuner card. Set your tuner card channel to 3 or 4, whatever you VCR plays on, and you are golden.

Some may argue that the quality of the capture may not be up to snuff. Remember first that you are capturing a VCR tape.

In doing the above, I see absolutely no difference in quality between playing the tape, and watching the capture. Actually I think the tuner card takes away a bit of the graininess.

Guest RCD74

Thanks for the info. everyone. I did remember that I could use my handycam as a passthrough but wasn't so sure how it would work. I should be able to figure this all out when the computer comes. I am not an electronics' whiz, but I can work my way through using trial and error and all of your help!! :) I will certainly be posting back when the computer comes next week! You are all the best!!

Rachel

Guest ml
Rachel, you can use your DCR-HC96 as a pass through from your VCR. You have to get the right cable to do it, though, to connect the VCR to the Handycam. The Handycam is connected to the computer via firewire.

Good catch. I forgot she had the DCR-HC96.

The cable comes with the camcorder.

Figuring out the settings on the camcorder is the tricky part. Haven't tried this with Vista yet though.