• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 elsquared

elsquared

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:42 PM

Hi all - I'm new to the DVD burning world, so pardon me if my question seems an easy answer to the rest of you.  I use Sony DVD-Rs, and until now have been very pleased with them.  But I noticed that when I burn a DVD from mpeg files, I can only fit about 1 hour's worth of video on a single DVD-R, even though they are advertised as 120 minutes long.  The DVD-R packaging says I can fit either 60, 120, or 240 minutes, so I guess my question is how can I change the setting?  Also, will using a different setting affect the quality of the burned video?  (I should also mention that when I copied a DVD from the library - which was about 90 minutes long - it fit fine with no problems.  Why would that work, but burning mpeg files won't?)  Thanks very much for your help.
Larry

#2 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,576 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:05 PM

View Postelsquared, on Mar 20 2006, 11:42 PM, said:

Hi all - I'm new to the DVD burning world, so pardon me if my question seems an easy answer to the rest of you.  I use Sony DVD-Rs, and until now have been very pleased with them.  But I noticed that when I burn a DVD from mpeg files, I can only fit about 1 hour's worth of video on a single DVD-R, even though they are advertised as 120 minutes long.  The DVD-R packaging says I can fit either 60, 120, or 240 minutes, so I guess my question is how can I change the setting?  Also, will using a different setting affect the quality of the burned video?  (I should also mention that when I copied a DVD from the library - which was about 90 minutes long - it fit fine with no problems.  Why would that work, but burning mpeg files won't?)  Thanks very much for your help.
Larry
A normal 4.7GB DVD will only hold about 60 minutes of best quality video. To get more then 60 minutes on a DVD you have to change your burn settings in DVD Builder under advanced option but your will of course lose quality. There is also another method to get more then 60 mnutes of video on a DVD.
Instead of burning to a DVD you burn to an image file, ie. unchcek "Burn to Disc" and check 'save to image'. Under "advanced options" select "best" quality. You will get a message warning you that your video will not fit on the DVD, ignore the message and continue. After your ISO file is created, use Disc Copier to burn that image file to a DVD. Disc Copier will transcode the ISO file to fit on the DVD. I find that the DVD video quality produced using the ISO method is much better then using "fit to disc" or using the medium or low quality settings.

I don't understand what you mean by "I copied a DVD from the library - which was about 90 minutes long - it fit fine with no problems.  Why would that work, but burning mpeg files won't?)"

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#3 ml

ml

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,048 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:35 AM

To add to excellent advice....

If you simply copied a DVD with Disk Copier, then you get an identical copy of the uncopyprotected DVD.

The amount of video that you can fit on the DVD depends on the type of encoding that the program uses to 'fit' the video onto the DVD.   Obviously, the more compressed the encoding, the greater the risk that you'll lose quality.
ml

flying squirrel......"It's more of a gliding thing....."

Intel® Core™2 Duo 2.2 Ghz desktop processor E4500;
3GB DDR2 memory;
DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive;
500GB SATA 7200 rpm hard drive;
Windows Vista Home Premium ,
ATI RADEON HD 2400,Built-in TV tuner , High-definition audio (8-speaker support), HDMI
Multiformat media reader,
IEEE 1394 (FireWire) interface and 6 high-speed USB 2.0 ports,
PCI card with 4 USB 2.0 and 2 IEEE 1394 ports,
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users