10 replies to this topic

#1 kevss

kevss

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:02 PM

I'm getting this error, I redid at lower speed 1x and still get it, not sure what to do.

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,342 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:17 PM

It's difficult to know what could be the cause of this. You could try a different brand of discs. Are you using an internal or external drive? If it is external you might want to download and apply the combined system update for your current OS version. Sometimes problems occur after an incremental system update that are fixed with a combined system update.

Also, try choosing Save as Disc Image from the File Menu instead of clicking the burn button. Then burn that disc image to DVD using the Image File setting in Popcorn.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 kevss

kevss

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:07 AM

Thanks T. that worked, except for small gap of few seconds in middle of DVD with no sound.

Why does that work doing the disc image trick? I've never fully understood it.

#4 kevss

kevss

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:22 PM

PS worked once, but just did same thing twice, saved as image file and then burn the image file and got same buffer underrun.

#5 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,342 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE (kevss @ Mar 12 2008, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PS worked once, but just did same thing twice, saved as image file and then burn the image file and got same buffer underrun.

That shouldn't be happening but I don't know what might be the cause. By default Toast has buffer underrun protection turned on but you can check if that's the case in the Recorder Settings window. There may be a communication problem to the drive or the laser may need to be cleaned with a laser-cleaning disc or you need to use a different brand of media -- or it could well be none of those things. I'm sorry that I can't think of a likely reason.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#6 kevss

kevss

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:34 PM

thanks T.
Still curious, when does work, why? What is it about disc image that sometimes beats this issue?

#7 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,342 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE (kevss @ Mar 13 2008, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks T.
Still curious, when does work, why? What is it about disc image that sometimes beats this issue?

With a disc image it is like burning from a little hard drive that has nothing on it except the content you are trying to burn. It is comparable to creating a temporary partition rather than having the chance for content to be in non-contiguous places on the hard drive.

#8 kevss

kevss

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:32 AM

I think I understood the gist of that. Do you save everything as disc image or just in problem cases?

#9 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,342 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE (kevss @ Mar 14 2008, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think I understood the gist of that. Do you save everything as disc image or just in problem cases?

I always save as disc image when I want to preview the result prior to burning, when I want to retain a copy on my hard drive, when I want to make multiple copies and when I know the process will take a long time and I don't want to start again from scratch if something goes wrong.

I do not make a disc image if the project is simple and I'm confident it will turn out okay. I just did a 60-image DVD slide show and didn't bother with creating a disc image. It would be easy to do it over.

It is rare when I don't get a successful burn regardless of the method I choose. I don't know why I'm so much more fortunate than many of those who post in these forums.

#10 kevss

kevss

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:03 PM

T.
these things:
preview, retain copy on HD, and make multiple copies,
one can do with TS folder too no?

It's almost a draw no?  the time takes to make the disc images vs testing if the  TS folder goes ok?

In sum, a disc image has more stuctural integrity than a TS folder?

#11 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,342 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE (kevss @ Mar 14 2008, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
T.
these things:
preview, retain copy on HD, and make multiple copies,
one can do with TS folder too no?

It's almost a draw no?  the time takes to make the disc images vs testing if the  TS folder goes ok?

In sum, a disc image has more stuctural integrity than a TS folder?

If you're not having Toast change anything from an existing VIDEO_TS folder then I agree with you. The disc image has the advantage of being a single file on the hard drive and when mounted can automatically launch DVD Player. It's a little more hassle to access VIDEO_TS folders from DVD Player's File menu.

Edited by tsantee, 14 March 2008 - 06:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users