38 replies to this topic

#1 Brewski

Brewski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:52 PM

Hello Roxio Forum,

ISSUE:  I am unable to burn DVD using Disc Copier ‘fit-to-disc’ feature for an ISO file created from MyDVD.  

BACKGROUND:  I am trying to create a DVD by following the instructions from the ‘How To’ posts found in these forums.  First, I use MyDVD to build the DVD content (preview looks good).  Then, I use MyDVD to create an ISO file with the following settings: software encoding, High Quality (HQ), uncheck ‘Fit to disc’, check ‘Save disc image file’.  This produces an ISO file that is about 4.9-GB for about 90-minutes of video.  Now, I want to use Disc Copier to burn this ISO onto one single-layer 4.7-GB DVD.  Several posts state this can be done since Disc Copier will compress the 4.9-GB file onto a 4.7-GB disc.  In fact one post states “I’ve burned ISO’s to disc as large as 7.5-GB with acceptable quality.”  However, when I use Disk Copier, I can not find any option for ‘fit-to-disc’ and when I try to burn the ISO file, I get an error message that tells me there is not enough disc space:  ‘Please insert a disc in this drive with at least this amount of free space XX (Possible disc types are DVD+R Double Layer).’  I have also tried to ‘fit-to-disc’ using Video Copy & Convert without any luck.  I have even tried DVD+R & DVD-R (Memorex).  However, if I create an ISO file using the ‘fit-to-disc’ option within MyDVD, it results in Standard Quality (SQ) file that is about 3.9-GB and burns just fine using Disk Copier.  

BOTTOM LINE:  How do I tell Disc Copier to compress & burn the larger HQ ISO files onto a standard 4.7GB DVD?  Other posts have mentioned that the Disc Copiers engine does a better job than MyDVD for this task.

HARDWARE INFO:  Home Built; Vista Home Premium; Pentium-4 3.0-GHz; 1.5-GB RAM, 500-GB HDD; ATI Radeon-9550 (256-MB); Memorex DVD+/-DLRWL16D2-15 DVD drive; Roxio Media Creator 9.1.075 (Full retail 9.0 version with 9.1 update).

Thanks in advance for any help & sorry for the long post.  This is my first post and I have found the information in these forums very valuable.

#2 malatekid

malatekid

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,668 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:15 PM

in MyDVD, set the Quality to HQ. On the lower left side, you will see Disc size and the project size bar. If your current Disc size is set to DVD 4.7gb and the project size bar is red, that means your project exceeds the target disc capacity. I suggest that you change the disc size selection to DVD 8.5gb. Go ahead and burn an image file. Afterwards use Disc Copier to burn the image file to 4.7gb disc as you wanted to. Please note there will be loss of quality due to compression. The greater the compression, the gretaer the degradation. It's up to you to determine if the resulting DVD quality is acceptable.

There is no fit-to-disc option in Disc Copier.
"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances, and demonstrations for impressions"
   -- John Ruskin

Roxio Creator 2012 Pro
Dell XPS 410
Windows XP Professional,Service Pack 3
Intel 2 Duo Processor E6700 (2.66GHz,1066FSB) with 4MB cache
4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz
500GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive(7200RPM)

1 GB DDR3 EVGA GeForce GT 630
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic (D) Sound Card
Samsung SH-S203B, Asus DRW-2014L1T
Epson R300 printer, Epson 4490 Scanner

#3 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,465 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (malatekid @ Mar 10 2008, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
in MyDVD, set the Quality to HQ. On the lower left side, you will see Disc size and the project size bar. If your current Disc size is set to DVD 4.7gb and the project size bar is red, that means your project exceeds the target disc capacity. I suggest that you change the disc size selection to DVD 8.5gb. Go ahead and burn an image file. Afterwards use Disc Copier to burn the image file to 4.7gb disc as you wanted to. Please note there will be loss of quality due to compression. The greater the compression, the gretaer the degradation. It's up to you to determine if the resulting DVD quality is acceptable.

There is no fit-to-disc option in Disc Copier.

In Roxio EMC Version 9 Retail, Copy, Disc Copier, from the bottom, size, click the right side down arrow, choose custom, use the custom output size sliding bar. Your slide bar options (size) will vary by the source input file. smile.gif

cd
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#4 malatekid

malatekid

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,668 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (cdanteek @ Mar 10 2008, 11:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In Roxio EMC Version 9 Retail, Copy, Disc Copier, from the bottom, size, click the right side down arrow, choose custom, use the custom output size sliding bar. Your slide bar options (size) will vary by the source input file. smile.gif

cd

Reading the flow of the statements, the OP was talking about the "fit to disc" option in MyDVD and trying to find the same option in Disc Copier.

But noting the custom output size option is a good extra info.

Edited by malatekid, 10 March 2008 - 08:42 PM.

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances, and demonstrations for impressions"
   -- John Ruskin

Roxio Creator 2012 Pro
Dell XPS 410
4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz

#5 Brewski

Brewski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:11 PM

malatekid & cdanteek:  Thank you both for your time & patience to help.  

However, I am still having the issue… I hope my original post wasn’t too confusing… here goes… I have set the disc size selection in MyDVD to 8.5-GB and created the ISO file as recommended--it is about a 4.9-GB file.  Now, Malatekid mentions “…afterwards use Disc Copier to burn the image file to 4.7gb disc as you wanted to”.  This is the part I am having trouble with--seems Disc Copier will not let me do this.  I understand there will be a loss of quality due to the compression, but Disc Copier keeps telling me I need a larger disc.  Also, Malatedkid mentions “There is no fit-to-disc option in Disc Copier.”  This seems like a contradiction--how can Disc Copier fit my larger ISO file onto a 4.7-GB disc without doing a fit-to-disc?  Maybe you are referring to some automatic compression that Disc Copier does without having to actually select a fit-to-disc option/button?  If so, Disc Copier is not performing this function.  Cdanteek mentions “…Disc Copier, from the bottom, size, click the right side down arrow, choose custom, use the custom output size sliding bar.”  My Disc Copier that came with EMC v9 (now 9.1), does not have this option (only “DVD-R/DVD+R, DVD-R Dual Layer, DVD+R Double Layer, DVD-RAM”).  Any suggestions?  Thanks again!

#6 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,465 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:33 PM

Load a ISO or video_ts folder set on the source side larger than 4482mb = 4.7 single layer disc.

Below on the size set to +R DL disc, says your ISO is 8147 Identical to Original. Now change the size to DVD -R DVD +R single layer disc, your content quality changes to 4482mb. Is that clear?

Why your version doesn't have custom I don't know! Is it a Retail bought Roxio EMC Version 9 Suite or Deluxe?

cd
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

#7 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,059 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:20 PM

Brewski,

Would you try this please?

(1) set your over-large ISO as the SOURCE.

(2) set the destination DISC SIZE in the drop-down menu at the bottom of Copier to show DVD-R / DVD+R like this screen shot.
That will probably make the bar at the bottom right go from green to red.
dc2.JPG

(3) set your desired burn speed etc., and burn.

Copier should then recode the large ISO so that it will fit on the destination disc size that you have set, and burn it to the disc.

The 'custom' size option only shows if you are doing this operation under the 'Video Compilation' tab (see the picture)

Regards,
Brendon

P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
DVDRW IDE 16X, in Windws XP, 7, and 8

"I did it"

#8 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,465 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:32 PM

Thanks, for the help Brendon. Being In CD DVD Copy mode the OP can only choose one source file. In Video Complication mode several files can be added as source and compressed.

cd
cd
Spoiler

#9 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,059 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:37 PM

It gets worse. In CD & DVD copy mode Copier refuses to transcode, and wants a bigger disc.
dc4.JPG

Might have to go to Video Compilation mode.  What say, Paul??

Brendon

Edited by Brendon, 11 March 2008 - 06:54 PM.

P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,

"I did it"

#10 malatekid

malatekid

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,668 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:02 PM

Using Disc Copier (EMC 9), the same thing happened as described by James in this post. But once you insert the standard disc back and reselect the drive (and/or reselect the write speed -- it seems that any of this action clears up the initial problem), Disc Copier will do its automatic compression.

I just burned an almost 8gb ISO file to a standard DVD. The resulting DVD is not that bad at all. I know that this is doable (and had done it several times before) but has since switched to using DL discs.

dc1.jpg

dc2.jpg
   -- John Ruskin

Roxio Creator 2012 Pro
Dell XPS 410
4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz

#11 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,059 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:13 PM

Thanks Jess,

I threw the same blank disc in my LG drive while I was ringing Beerman, and it went off like a house on fire. It's recoding and burning as I type. He said he had to change speed or drive to get it to work properly, too.
Paul is going to try it again himself and will post shortly.

Beats me!!  laugh.gif

Okay Brewski,

I hope you're still with us. It looks like the story is,

(1) Do it the way I told you before [which is probably the way you were trying it originally]

(2) If/when you get the request for a bigger disc, just put the same disc back in and reselect the drive or the drive speed again and this time it should work

Who said burning DVDs is a science?  It's more an art, and a spooky art at that.     ninja.gif

Brendon

"I did it"

#12 Beerman

Beerman

Digital Beer Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -7,085 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:18 PM

Test_file.jpg

DC.jpg

Compressing.jpg

Same thing here Jess. I mentioned this as a possible bug in 9 beta testing but thought it was just my Plextor at that time.  Just now I completed a file not as large as I have previously done (named 'test')  and this time, I did get the same error in 1 drive but not in the other.  Both drives burned fine after changing the write speed down, letting the drive read it and then changing the speed back up to fastest again.
Paul
------
Custom Built ASUS P8Z77 V-Deluxe, Core i7 3770k, 16 GB Memory-ASUS ENGTX560 DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560, H80i Cooler, 750W Power Supply, COOLER MASTER HAF XM RC-922XM-KKN1 case,Corsair Force Series GS CSSD-F240GBGS-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III SSD, InfiniTV4 & HDHomerun Tuners- running Windows 8 (and other goodies)
#2-P877WS- Core i7 3770k, 16GB Memory-GeForce GTX 650Ti, SATA III SSD, H100i cooler, 750W PS,

#13 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,465 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:30 PM

Question, does your version do this disc change / rejection thing just in CD DVD Copy Mode? Or the way I do it in Video Complication Mode?

Another question, why are three folks doing it in 'CD DVD Copy Mode' are you copying a CD or DVD? Or is there not a reason for the different modes?

cd
cd
Spoiler

#14 malatekid

malatekid

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,668 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (cdanteek @ Mar 11 2008, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Question, does your version do this disc change / rejection thing just in CD DVD Copy Mode? Or the way I do it in Video Complication Mode?

Another question, why are three folks doing it in 'CD DVD Copy Mode' are you copying a CD or DVD? Or is there not a reason for the different modes?

cd

Good question. Compilation mode does not include the menu of the movie so you have to do the DVD Copy to burn the whole thing (movie AND menu). I haven't tried the Compilation mode for burning over-large image to a standard DVD to see if automatic compression works too. I don't see any reason why it won't.

Edited by malatekid, 11 March 2008 - 07:39 PM.

-- John Ruskin

Roxio Creator 2012 Pro
Dell XPS 410
4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz

#15 Beerman

Beerman

Digital Beer Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -7,085 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (cdanteek @ Mar 11 2008, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cd

I don't recall trying to add an ISO in Compilation mode and think it will only work with video folders.  I just tried the same file in Compilation mode and I get a Windows error and DC shuts down. I've always used CD/DVD Copy Mode. That's not a good answer, I will admit.
The Help file is of no real help to me either.

Attached Images

• help.jpg

Paul
------
Custom Built ASUS P8Z77 V-Deluxe, Core i7 3770k, 16 GB Memory-ASUS ENGTX560 DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560, H80i Cooler, 750W Power Supply, COOLER MASTER HAF XM RC-922XM-KKN1 case,Corsair Force Series GS CSSD-F240GBGS-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III SSD, InfiniTV4 & HDHomerun Tuners- running Windows 8 (and other goodies)
#2-P877WS- Core i7 3770k, 16GB Memory-GeForce GTX 650Ti, SATA III SSD, H100i cooler, 750W PS,

#16 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,465 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (malatekid @ Mar 11 2008, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good question. Compilation mode does not include the menu of the movie so you have to do the DVD Copy to burn the whole thing (movie AND menu). I haven't tried the Compilation mode for burning over-large image to a standard DVD to see if automatic compression works too. I don't see any reason why it won't.

Question, if Complication mode excepts a ISO how could it not "include the menu"?

cd
cd
Spoiler

#17 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,059 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE (cdanteek @ Mar 11 2008, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In Video compilation mode I couldn't use an ISO as a source, but it worked fine without the bug if I picked a big DVD folder as the source.

cd

Local wisdom says you get poorer results if you use MyDVD to shrink your movie, and it's better to build to an ISO at best resolution, and then use Disc Copier to shrink it to disc at burn time.

Therefore we needed to use the ISO as source, therefore we needed to use the CD & DVD Copy mode because it's the only one which allows ISO as the source.

Brendon

QUOTE (cdanteek @ Mar 11 2008, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Question, if Complication mode excepts a ISO how could it not "include the menu"?

cd

It doesn't accept an ISO as source.  smile.gif

"I did it"

#18 malatekid

malatekid

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,668 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (cdanteek @ Mar 11 2008, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cd

Since it's a compilation of video clips (movies), possibly from different sources, the inclusion of a menu from a particular clip(movie) doesn't make sense to the entire collection of clips.
   -- John Ruskin

Roxio Creator 2012 Pro
Dell XPS 410
4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz

#19 malatekid

malatekid

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,668 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:58 PM

Hmm, mine accepts an ISO even in Video Compilation mode. Note that it only shows the movie and not the menu when using that mode.

dc3.jpg

Edited by malatekid, 11 March 2008 - 07:59 PM.

-- John Ruskin

Roxio Creator 2012 Pro
Dell XPS 410
4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz

#20 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,465 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (malatekid @ Mar 11 2008, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since it's a compilation of video clips (movies), possibly from different sources, the inclusion of a menu from a particular clip(movie) doesn't make sense to the entire collection of clips.

In Video compilation mode I couldn't use an ISO as a source, but it worked fine without the bug if I picked a big DVD folder as the source.

Therefore we needed to use the ISO as source, therefore we needed to use the CD & DVD Copy mode because it's the only one which allows ISO as the source.

Seems all three of you had bugs shipped with your versions!

cd

QUOTE (malatekid @ Mar 11 2008, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm, mine accepts an ISO even in Video Compilation mode. Note that it only shows the movie and not the menu when using that mode.

dc3.jpg

Did Roxio make that ISO?

cd
cd
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users