• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

wayneS

Error: Result Code -18771

Question

I see on several threads here that people are getting this error code: "ERROR: Result Code -18771 "

Anyone out there know how to work around this bug?

I've trying to make a blu-ray disk from 720P @ 59.94fps. I've tried giving toast uncompressed QT and H.264. I get the error almost immediately after hitting the red button.

Anyone at Roxio listening?!?! (they DO test this stuff, right?)

13 answers to this question

I'm with you brother. I'm pulling my hair out with the same problem.

I can only get it to work when using "Advanced" settings and choosing the MPEG-2 codec (which results in a file twice the size and half the quality).

If you try to make the DVD with "Automatic" settings or using MPEG-4 AVC - it'll error out or crash.

BAD BAD BAD!!!!!!!!

Same probem here, unable to encode HDV1080i50 files - Encoding fails with MPEG4-AVC encoder and error code -18771 (no matters of the sttings: Manual or Auto).

The files works with MPEG2 Encoder.

No Help or Reply from Roxio Support ... Ticket submitted, and phone call to hotline...

Same probem here, unable to encode HDV1080i50 files - Encoding fails with MPEG4-AVC encoder and error code -18771 (no matters of the sttings: Manual or Auto).

The files works with MPEG2 Encoder.

No Help or Reply from Roxio Support ... Ticket submitted, and phone call to hotline...

I have no problem using HDV1080i50. Have made a small project in Final Cut Pro and exported a Quicktime reference file and made drag&drop to Toast 9. Using Blu-ray and AVC and made a Toast image with no error...

I have no problem using HDV1080i50. Have made a small project in Final Cut Pro and exported a Quicktime reference file and made drag&drop to Toast 9. Using Blu-ray and AVC and made a Toast image with no error...

You used MPEG-4 AVC to compress the movie??? And it WORKED???

You used a QuickTime "reference file" as opposed to a self-contained QuickTime movie???

How large is the source movie (how many MB)? Would you be willing to send it to me? (I'd like to try to repeat the process) If you don't mind sending it, I'll PM you with my e-mail address and we can use "YouSendIt.com" to upload it to me.

I really want to see why your file works, but nobody else's does.

Are you using any markers set in Toast (I assume not, but just in case)? It could cause a problem.

Usually, that error is a problem with the audio or video on the file and the multiplexer doesn't like it. Most likely the file is OK, just something about the content, and the Multiplex needs fixed for it.

You could try deleting everything in the Roxio Convert Items folder, delete the Toast prefs, and try with default settings.

Markers are a problem it seems - first time i got error -50 then i have set the Markers to "none" in Toast... and AVC is encoding...

Are you using any markers set in Toast (I assume not, but just in case)? It could cause a problem.

Usually, that error is a problem with the audio or video on the file and the multiplexer doesn't like it. Most likely the file is OK, just something about the content, and the Multiplex needs fixed for it.

You could try deleting everything in the Roxio Convert Items folder, delete the Toast prefs, and try with default settings.

I was not using chapters, but chapters were set to "Automatic" in the Video Edit area in Toast. I set it to "Never" and attempted to re-encode. Got the error message at 43% (instead of 2%). Still doesn't work.

I don't think it is a problem with my source material. They all encode fine in Toast 8, and they encode fine in Toast 9 when using MPEG-2. The problem is with MPEG-4 encoding only. I've used various different HD source videos (all QuickTime compatible), with different codecs, different file formats, etc. They ALL fail during the encode.

I'll try deleting prefs and converted items next...

EDIT:

I deleted Toast prefs and converted items... still doesn't work. MPEG-4 AVC is BROKEN!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Industro

I was not using chapters, but chapters were set to "Automatic" in the Video Edit area in Toast. I set it to "Never" and attempted to re-encode. Got the error message at 43% (instead of 2%). Still doesn't work.

I don't think it is a problem with my source material. They all encode fine in Toast 8, and they encode fine in Toast 9 when using MPEG-2. The problem is with MPEG-4 encoding only. I've used various different HD source videos (all QuickTime compatible), with different codecs, different file formats, etc. They ALL fail during the encode.

I'll try deleting prefs and converted items next...

EDIT:

I deleted Toast prefs and converted items... still doesn't work. MPEG-4 AVC is BROKEN!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you. I try many different combination and it fails all the time with the MPEG4-AVC encoder the SAME FILES works just fine with the MPEG2 and produce a corrrect Blu-ray ona a Sony BWU-100A.

I open a ticket on roxio support and here is the reply I got :

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHENDERSON

3/19/2008

Thank you for Contacting Roxio Technical Support

That error indicates that the video file is corrupt. You will need to recapture the video.

If the information provided does not resolve your issue simply update your webticket with a detailed explanation with the steps you have tried and any error messages you receive

Regards,

Roxio Technical Support

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not agree with this :

1) If my file is corrupt how do you explain that your MPEG2 encoder works perfectly with it ?

2) How do you explain that capturing different footage on two different computer (Mac os 10.4.11) and (Mac Os 10.5.2) produce the same error? It Would means all the capture are wrong. !!!

3) How do you explain that others customers have the same problem??

>>1) If my file is corrupt how do you explain that your MPEG2 encoder works perfectly with it ?

Just because one decoder/encoder handles malformed files correctly, doesn't guarantee that another one will.

That said, I have no idea if that is the case here. Are you willing to provide me with a sample that causes the issue so I can take a look at it?

You used MPEG-4 AVC to compress the movie??? And it WORKED???

You used a QuickTime "reference file" as opposed to a self-contained QuickTime movie???

How large is the source movie (how many MB)? Would you be willing to send it to me? (I'd like to try to repeat the process) If you don't mind sending it, I'll PM you with my e-mail address and we can use "YouSendIt.com" to upload it to me.

I really want to see why your file works, but nobody else's does.

I have uploaded you a small example (about 1 minute HDV 1080i/50) which is working for me with MPEG4 AVC and Toast:

http://www.mediafire.com/?d0o1gm0xjdg

http://www.mediafire.com/?3yhwzy1bzoy

use 7zX to combine:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/29005

I agree with you. I try many different combination and it fails all the time with the MPEG4-AVC encoder the SAME FILES works just fine with the MPEG2 and produce a corrrect Blu-ray ona a Sony BWU-100A.

I open a ticket on roxio support and here is the reply I got :

CHENDERSON

3/19/2008

Thank you for Contacting Roxio Technical Support

That error indicates that the video file is corrupt. You will need to recapture the video.

If the information provided does not resolve your issue simply update your webticket with a detailed explanation with the steps you have tried and any error messages you receive

Regards,

Roxio Technical Support

I do not agree with this :

1) If my file is corrupt how do you explain that your MPEG2 encoder works perfectly with it ?

2) How do you explain that capturing different footage on two different computer (Mac os 10.4.11) and (Mac Os 10.5.2) produce the same error? It Would means all the capture are wrong. !!!

3) How do you explain that others customers have the same problem??

reymac,

I am with you here , this is not a case of corrupted files and I also tried a brand new clip . Toast 9 has problem encode H.264 files to Blu-Ray right now.

I use the same FCP sequence export to MPEG-2 and Toast 9 encode/burn OK. So far I only burn using DVD Media ( will try Blu-Ray media within the next few days ) .

I reports one of the movie playback skipping yesterday . Since then I burned 2 more BD movies using the same FCP sequence and no problem on playback. These are things I did , don't know if one of them resolved or combonation :

- In FCP . I did a " full render " and " mix down audio " to force FCP to render all audio.

- Re export as MPEG-2

- Select to burn as lowest speed in Toast . I selected 2x.

It play beautiful on my Sony BDP-S300.

By the way , one of the source footage is from a RED camera , some are from XD CAM , a couple from EX XD CAM.

>>1) If my file is corrupt how do you explain that your MPEG2 encoder works perfectly with it ?

Just because one decoder/encoder handles malformed files correctly, doesn't guarantee that another one will.

That said, I have no idea if that is the case here. Are you willing to provide me with a sample that causes the issue so I can take a look at it?

Hey Patatrox...

If you're interested in repeating my scenario (failure to encode using MPEG-4 AVC in Toast 9) I can provide tons of source material that DOESN'T WORK. :( They all give me Error -18771.

They are all QuickTime-compatible files, most of them are 1 GB 1920x1080 24p .mov files encoded with H.264.

Funny thing is, I just now used QuickTime to re-encode the same source material into a MPEG-4 (.mp4) file (instead of using Toast 9 for this function) and I burned the resulting MP4 file onto a DVD using the OS X Leopard Finder and it plays FINE on the PS3! Toast, however, doesn't seem to be able to encode the same source material using the MPEG-4 AVC setting (but QuickTime CAN!) Just an FYI.

Hey Patatrox...

If you're interested in repeating my scenario (failure to encode using MPEG-4 AVC in Toast 9) I can provide tons of source material that DOESN'T WORK. :( They all give me Error -18771.

They are all QuickTime-compatible files, most of them are 1 GB 1920x1080 24p .mov files encoded with H.264.

Funny thing is, I just now used QuickTime to re-encode the same source material into a MPEG-4 (.mp4) file (instead of using Toast 9 for this function) and I burned the resulting MP4 file onto a DVD using the OS X Leopard Finder and it plays FINE on the PS3! Toast, however, doesn't seem to be able to encode the same source material using the MPEG-4 AVC setting (but QuickTime CAN!) Just an FYI.

Thanks for all of the information, we're working to correct this issue.

use 7zX to combine:

I've always been partial to Split&Concat myself.