Beerman

Dell Buys Alienware

Question

34 answers to this question

I think that if "Alienware" had chosen a different name for it's products it might still be doing business on it's own. Their computer cases looked terrible. I subscribe to several PC magazines and they sure advertised a lot. Every magazine I take always had some big page advertisements. They seemed to always get some favorable reviews as far as their computers were concerned.

Frank......

I think that if "Alienware" had chosen a different name for it's products it might still be doing business on it's own. Their computer cases looked terrible. I subscribe to several PC magazines and they sure advertised a lot. Every magazine I take always had some big page advertisements. They seemed to always get some favorable reviews as far as their computers were concerned.

Frank......

Definitely aimed at the younger, gamer market. That's why Dell wants it. Their XPS systems were made as a direct attempt at that market.

Definitely aimed at the younger, gamer market. That's why Dell wants it. Their XPS systems were made as a direct attempt at that market.

Alienware's butt Officially belongs to Dell here's the proof

http://reviews.cnet.com/5530-10921_7-0-10....threadID=163281

Ø Alienware will operate as a standalone division of Dell. The management and founders of Alienware will continue to operate the company as a standalone unit of Dell.

Ø Alienware will retain its name, brand and product portfolio separate from Dell.

Ø Alienware will maintain its own product development activities, brand/product marketing, manufacturing, sales and technical support operations and brand under the same management.

(2nd paragraph)---we both employ individuals that are passionate and like to win----

LIKE EMPLOYING individuals from INDIA !!

&

---It will provide us with the capability of leveraging Dell's world class business practices and efficiencies---

LIKE OUT SOURCING TO INDIA !!

Personal opinion, of course

Frank...

Too bad.. I always thought Alienware had good products. I've seen 'Dell' quality. My sis ter purchased a laptop for my neice for college. TWO WEEKS after it arrived it had major problems. AFTER A YEAR dealing with it and Dell support in India, they sorta fixed it. I'm sure there are plenty of satisfied Dell customers, but then there are plenty of satisfied eMachine owners, too.

Some time ago Gary, and for a long time, I ran only Dell computers and had very few problems with them. But that was then and this is NOW. I even did a complete make over for one of their old computers by upgrading the processor, and all of the photos of each step I took upgrading the processor was published on the internet. I'm not sure if it is still their or not. do a Google search for "FRANK HEARTH" and see what you get.

As far as the e-machines are concerned, they are a bunch of junk !!! (another personal opinion). And as far as the support one gets from any of the computer manufacturers now, is why I started building my own computers several years ago and that even got me into building a dozen or so a year for others as well. Now I am the one that is in the hot seat, LOL.

Frank........

See different users - different experiences. Every eMachine I ever purchased is STILL WORKING. There is even one computer that I had originally. Gave it to my daughter. Then passed on to a bro-in-law. Back to me and now still in use after almost 10years by another bro-in-law.

NOT ONCE did I have to ever contact eMachine support for a broken machine. My sister bought two Dell laptops and both had to be serviced within the first 6 months!!! So no one can convince me that Dell has quality. Add to that a year long battle to get one of them fixed.

Just recently have I started buying retail again. I've been building my own computers since the 1970s. Yep even before IBM build one. If I was wanting top of the line components, the only way is to build it yourself. Otherwise, it's cheaper to buy retail now. I bought my HP desktop below during a special sell for only $349. I couldn't buy the parts for that price. So far I've been really happy with it. Everything runs just fine on it so far.

My next purchase will be right before Vista is released. I'm sure the retail stores will dump WinXP machines real cheap. I want the fastest Athlon X2 I can get with Windows Media Center 2005. :)

Guest mlpasley
Every eMachine I ever purchased is STILL WORKING.

I've had 2 eMachines and they're both still working.

No offense guys, but I still think e-Machines are pretty much junk. A long time ago, Dell's computers were pretty good but for the past few years now I think they have gone down the hill quite a bit. I have no idea what type of computers others are building for themselves but I'll bet my monthly income that I can beat ANY manufactured computer, with more and better parts and save money doing it. As far as HP's $349 computer, I won't knock HP as I think they are pretty good computers (I own two of their top of the line P4 3.2GHz notebooks), but you sure as heck won't get a top of the line, any type computer for $349, even if it's on sale !!!. (Maybe start there and add a lot more to it to get it where you want it) However, some people need more stuff in a computer than others, so to each his own.

My example of the last custom built computer for a friend:

Intel P4 3.0E GHz processor

Startech ATX8300Pro case

1 GB Crucial 240 pin DDR2--533--PC2-4300 RAM (2 each 512 MB)

Asus NVIDIA Gforce EN6600/TD/256MB/PCI Express x 16 graphics

Creative Labs Audigy 2ZS Sound card

Asus CRW-5232 CD/RW drive

Sony DVD/RW DRU-720A (DL) drive

Teac 1.44MB floppy drive (really not needed)

Microsoft Internet keyboard and 2 button wheel mouse

Western Digital WD1200JB 120GB primary hard drive

Western Digital WD 1200JB 120GB slave drive

Spent right at $800.

Frank.........

No offense guys, but I still think e-Machines are pretty much junk. A long time ago, Dell's computers were pretty good but for the past few years now I think they have gone down the hill quite a bit. I have no idea what type of computers others are building for themselves but I'll bet my monthly income that I can beat ANY manufactured computer, with more and better parts and save money doing it. As far as HP's $349 computer, I won't knock HP as I think they are pretty good computers (I own two of their top of the line P4 3.2GHz notebooks), but you sure as heck won't get a top of the line, any type computer for $349, even if it's on sale !!!. (Maybe start there and add a lot more to it to get it where you want it) However, some people need more stuff in a computer than others, so to each his own.

My example of the last custom built computer for a friend:

Intel P4 3.0E GHz processor

Startech ATX8300Pro case

1 GB Crucial 240 pin DDR2--533--PC2-4300 RAM (2 each 512 MB)

Asus NVIDIA Gforce EN6600/TD/256MB/PCI Express x 16 graphics

Creative Labs Audigy 2ZS Sound card

Asus CRW-5232 CD/RW drive

Sony DVD/RW DRU-720A (DL) drive

Teac 1.44MB floppy drive (really not needed)

Microsoft Internet keyboard and 2 button wheel mouse

Western Digital WD1200JB 120GB primary hard drive

Western Digital WD 1200JB 120GB slave drive

Spent right at $800.

Frank.........

Floppy drives are indeed needed, unless you totally trust Netframe for backing up your hard drive, and being able to recover it. I won't be without that floppy. The unfortunate thing is, some mobos coming out now, won't support a floppy.

Floppy drives are indeed needed, unless you totally trust Netframe for backing up your hard drive, and being able to recover it. I won't be without that floppy. The unfortunate thing is, some mobos coming out now, won't support a floppy.

I've got all my backups at the office on a mirrored hard drive, 2 portable hard drives and nightly images. After the hurricane, I became more phobic. My server doesn't even have a floppy but I do have lots of thumb drives.

I've got all my backups at the office on a mirrored hard drive, 2 portable hard drives and nightly images. After the hurricane, I became more phobic. My server doesn't even have a floppy but I do have lots of thumb drives.

You must not use Ghost to back up your hard drives.

You must not use Ghost to back up your hard drives.

Last year I grew up and switched sides to Acronis True Image. It's been my new best friend.

Last year I grew up and switched sides to Acronis True Image. It's been my new best friend.

You mean that you became a traitor. :)

You mean that you became a traitor. :)

Yes but this traitor sleeps better and I get a few bucks off my business insurance to boot.

Yes but this traitor sleeps better and I get a few bucks off my business insurance to boot.

I write off all of my software, as well as my floppy drive. :huh: Wanna go out and have a beer? We can invite the wives, if they aren't sleeping already. :)

I write off all of my software, as well as my floppy drive. :huh:Wanna go out and have a beer? We can invite the wives, if they aren't sleeping already. :)

Geez Bruce, there's still 6 minutes left of the Georgetown/Fla game but when it's over, I'm game. But do we have to have just 1? My wife's still awake but I'm starting to feel the call from the sheets. Better make mine a go cup!

So Bruce, how do you use your floppy drive for backing up your system ???

BTW, my two HP notebooks don't even have a floppy drive, let alone supporting one.

I haven't used a floppy drive since I don't know when. As I remember, the last time I used a floppy drive was for a friend that had an old PIII computer running Windows 98.

And who said it was beer time ??? I'm ready after installing a 50 gallon water heater today.

Frank....

What's wrong with Ghost 9 or 10 on a bootable CD or DVD?

(I had a 5.25" and the 3.5" floppy running on mine the otherday, but I couldn't make FASTBACK run properly) :)

(I had a 5.25" and the 3.5" floppy running on mine the otherday, but I couldn't make FASTBACK run properly) :)

Both require NetFrame to be installed. I actually have it installed. CinePlayer installs it. :huh:

So Bruce, how do you use your floppy drive for backing up your system ???

BTW, my two HP notebooks don't even have a floppy drive, let alone supporting one.

I haven't used a floppy drive since I don't know when. As I remember, the last time I used a floppy drive was for a friend that had an old PIII computer running Windows 98.

And who said it was beer time ??? I'm ready after installing a 50 gallon water heater today.

Frank....

I make a boot floppy from Ghost, up in Windows. Put that floppy in, boot to it, and you can Ghost your partitions, complete drive, or complete system.

Just recently have I started buying retail again. I've been building my own computers since the 1970s. Yep even before IBM build one. If I was wanting top of the line components, the only way is to build it yourself. Otherwise, it's cheaper to buy retail now. I bought my HP desktop below during a special sell for only $349. I couldn't buy the parts for that price. So far I've been really happy with it. Everything runs just fine on it so far.

My next purchase will be right before Vista is released. I'm sure the retail stores will dump WinXP machines real cheap. I want the fastest Athlon X2 I can get with Windows Media Center 2005. :)

That's a little misleading isn't it?

HP Pavilion a420n Athlon XP 3000+ Desktop PC (512 MB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, 48xCD-RW Drive)

Processor, Memory, and Motherboard

Hardware Platform: PC

Processor: 2.167 GHz AMD Athlon XP

System Bus Speed: 333 MHz

Number of Processors: 1

RAM: 512 MB

RAM Type: DDR SDRAM

Memory Slots: 1

Operating System and Software

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition

Bundled Software: Windows XP Home, HP Image Zone Plus, Arcsoft Showbiz 2, Record Now, InterVideo WinDVD, MusicMatch Jukebox, RealOne Player, WildTangent Game Channel

Keyboard and Mouse

Keyboard: HP Internet keyboard

Hard Drive

Size: 160 GB

Manufacturer: None

Type: Ultra ATA

Graphics and Display

Graphics Card: Integrated Graphics

Graphics RAM: 64 MB

Interface: Integrated

Ports and Connectivity

Modem: 56 Kbps

Network Connection: 10-/100-Mbps Base-T Ethernet

Unless your machine has different spec's. You have doubled the Ram, added the 3 Hard Drives, Video Card, Sound Card, and swapped out the optical drives. So $349.00 + $$$ =_________!

cdanteek

Looks like you did a little home work cdanteek !

Frank...

Both require NetFrame to be installed. I actually have it installed. CinePlayer installs it. :)

I make a boot floppy from Ghost, up in Windows. Put that floppy in, boot to it, and you can Ghost your partitions, complete drive, or complete system.

That's pretty slick Bruce. I guess I just do everything the old hard way by just backing up all my personal files using my DL drive. If things ever go that bad I can always start from scratch and do a clean install of my operating system. All my personal files are on a separate slave HD plus on disk. And just yesterday I finally received my WD2000JB HD and got it all running in an exterior enclosure via USB. That's for my HP ZD8000 notebook. Brendon has helped me get all that started.

Cheers

Frank....

I've got no real beef with Ghost but Acronis is much easier for me to work with. Actually, they're both easy to work with. I just have more love for True Image.

Frank,I have a HP notebook and bought an external USB floppy that works just fine with it.I can even boot from it.I don't use it very often but it sure is handy when the need arises.

Yeah Terry, the external enclosure box that I got was one that Brendon had suggested. it's an aluminum box that doesn't have an internal fan, so I thought for sure it would really heat up when you are really using the HD hard, but the darn thing stays really quite cool to my surprise. I purchased a Western Digital WD2000JB HD that I put in it. I doublt that I will ever use it to boot from, but that's something to think about.

Frank........