Beerman

Dell Buys Alienware

Question

34 answers to this question

That's a little misleading isn't it?

Not at all.... I figured everyone was smart enough to know that I did upgrade some of it. At the time I purchased it, HP was still selling it for $850.

200gig hd = $29 after rebates

extra 512MB ram = $49 after rebates

Audigy 4 = $79 after rebates great Xmas present to myself

extra hard drives I had laying around = $0

USB2 cases for drives = $20 each

And I still didn't come close to the original retail price. But you still missed my point.

Edited by ggrussell

Patty:

Actually Brendon suggested and sent a web site address top me (www.xpcgear.com) and the page had several different types of exterior HD enclosures listed. I purchased the ME-740 Series 3-1/2" aluminum case, "ME-740U2". It was $30.99, but with shipping and tax it came to $40.14. And I bought a Western Digital WD 2000JB 200GB HD and it fits great. Very simple to add the HD and the case came with all the cables and power supply, including a USB cable.

Frank...........

Patty:

Actually Brendon suggested and sent a web site address top me (www.xpcgear.com) and the page had several different types of exterior HD enclosures listed. I purchased the ME-740 Series 3-1/2" aluminum case, "ME-740U2". It was $30.99, but with shipping and tax it came to $40.14. And I bought a Western Digital WD 2000JB 200GB HD and it fits great. Very simple to add the HD and the case came with all the cables and power supply, including a USB cable.

Frank...........

I checked out the site and couldn't find that model number. I did a search by that number and couldn't find it. Could you tell me the brand? Sounds like a good one and I would like to get one, I have a WD Hard drive also. Sorry to bug you but it sounds just what I have been looking for. Do you find that it works fine with just a USB?

Sorry Patty that I couldn't get you to the exact web page that shows the enclosure that I bought. I'm looking at the box that it came in and it doesn't show a manufacturers name. The box shows "ME-740 Series" and there is a red sticker next to the "ME-740U2" (along with about 7 other listings). Anyway, I checked the confirmation e-mail I got from xpcgear.com and I tried going back myself and finding the page where it was listed on and it wasn't that easy to find it again. I finally found the website address where it shows the exact one I bought and it's at http://www.xpcgear.com/35usbextenc.html

Give that a try and see if that works. And sorry about the confusion Patty.

Frank.......

Edited by redwagon713

Thanks a lot Frank, sorry you had to go to all the trouble, but I do appreciate it. I will be sending off for it. I feel it is always better to get something someone else has had good luck with, thanks again. :):huh:

No problem Patty, you're welcome. I haven't used mine all that long yet (1 week) but I sure like it so far. Seems to me from previous posts, that you are a sports fan. You got any body picked to win the NCAA basketball championship ? or were you into the NFL only ?

Frank........

Actually basketball is one of my favorite sports, and since I am from Washington, I was rooting for the UW Huskies, but since they are out I am leaning toward LSU, mostly because of Paul. I guess I should be pulling for UCONN since they beat us. I am a big baseball fan too. GO MARINERS.. I will be going to my first game of the year in a few weeks. I love SAFECO FIELD it is awesome. I never thought it would happen here, but it finally did. (big time)

I played varsity BB from Jr. HS, HS and college, so that's my true love of all the sports. But I'm a true jock and love all the sports. The NBA is tops then NCAA . I'll be rooting for UCLA, but they have been awful lucky so far. At least they got to the final 4 :) And the NBA, what can I say being a jock from southern California--GO LAKERS !!!

My roots are in Oregon, so I'm fairly well acquainted with Washington.

Frank...