tom1805

Compressing Audio Tracks To Fit Onto A Single Cd

Question

I am trying to produce a CD containing a number of wma tracks. Unfortunately, the total length of the project is about 85 minutes. Is there any way of compressing them slightly so that they will fit onto a single CD?

I did try using Creator Classic to burn onto a CD but received an "Overburn warning" that told me that not only might the disc contain errors but that Overburn could possibly even damage the recorder. Having scared the living daylights out of the user it then asked if they wished to continue with the Overburn. Not surprisingly I hastily replied, "No!" :)

I have EMC 7 (Build 7.1.1.189 ENU) running under Win XP/HE SP2.

5 answers to this question

I am trying to produce a CD containing a number of wma tracks. Unfortunately, the total length of the project is about 85 minutes. Is there any way of compressing them slightly so that they will fit onto a single CD?

I did try using Creator Classic to burn onto a CD but received an "Overburn warning" that told me that not only might the disc contain errors but that Overburn could possibly even damage the recorder. Having scared the living daylights out of the user it then asked if they wished to continue with the Overburn. Not surprisingly I hastily replied, "No!" :)

I have EMC 7 (Build 7.1.1.189 ENU) running under Win XP/HE SP2.

If you are just backing up the files, you could add all of the files to a folder, then zip the folder, but I am not sure how much they will compress. You're better off burning to a DVD, if you have a DVD burner.

If you are burning them to play them, then you need to use a 2nd CD, or take the chance of overburning.

Thanks for the reply. It's for playing them so it looks like I will have to go with 2 CDs. Out of interest, what is so dangerous about Overburning that it could actually damage your recorder?

Thanks for the reply. It's for playing them so it looks like I will have to go with 2 CDs. Out of interest, what is so dangerous about Overburning that it could actually damage your recorder?

You could also convert the audio to mp3 and you should have no problem putting them on CD as well as almost few hours more. You will of course a need CD player that can play mp3s, your computer will have no problems playing mp3s.

Edited by myguggi

It's not the standard, for the CD or the Burner. Most will simply not do it or error out, I have never seen a drive damaged but who knows. The big problem is what plays them...

cd

If you are making an Audio cd out of them it doesn't matter how much you compress (change the bitrate) on the source files.An Audio cd is made to a certain standard and is not changed.You can only fit approximately 80 min of music on one.No more than that.

If you need more than doing what Walt said is the solution.