MacRant

How Do I Make A Blu-ray Dvd-r From Eyetv ?

Question

Is it just me, but the user manual for 9.02 doesn't actually tell you how to make a blu-ray DVD-R, much less how to do it from EyeTV files??

I have:

selected Video/Blu-ray Video

selected DVD in the drop-down next to the Record button

dragged an EyeTV recording from the EyeTV recordings window into the toast window, which Toast seems happy with

inserted a DVD-R & pressed Record

successfully burnt the disc - Toast said so & everything looks in-order on the disc

placed it in Sharp BD-HP20X [region b] - and the player gives "incompatible disc" and spits it back out

I have not been able to get the BD player to load any firmware updates - it recognises the USB stick, but not the file. And I'm chasing that issue separately, but any comments would be useful.

CAN ANYONE COMMENT on my burning process (is this the correct method?),

whether they've done this with success,

and if possible - do you know if the discs should be compatible with the player.

Thanks

Edited by MacRant

8 answers to this question

Thanks, gaper1

The process makes sense - the Toast interface has been cleaned up nicely in 9, taking a lot of the complexity away, but when things aren't working, it doesn't give you much to de-bug.

Problem for me is, I upgraded to 9 for BD on DVD, paying the same price as I paid for Toast 8, 2 months ago (and it's expensive in Australia $120).

This is all the Sharp BD player manual says about compatible & incompatible discs...

Can you tell me one way or the other about BD on DVD, from looking at this?

I can't find anything about BD on DVD as a standard

Thanks

■ Can Play Back

BD Video (with Region code “B” and “ALL” only)

BD-RE Ver. 2.1 1L (*finalised disc only)

BD-R Ver. 1.1 1L (*finalised disc only)

DVD Video (with Region code “4” and “ALL” only)

DVD-RW/DVD-R (*finalised disc only)

DVD+RW/DVD+R (*finalised disc only)

DVD-R DL (*finalised disc only)

Audio CD

CD-RW/CD-R

■ Cannot Play Back

CDG, Video CD, Photo CD, CD-ROM, CD-TEXT, SVCD,

SACD, PD, CDV, CVD, DVD-RAM, DVD-Audio,

BD-RE Ver. 1.0, BD-RE DL, CD-MP3, CD-WMA, DIVX Disc Type Recording

Thanks, gaper1

The process makes sense - the Toast interface has been cleaned up nicely in 9, taking a lot of the complexity away, but when things aren't working, it doesn't give you much to de-bug.

Problem for me is, I upgraded to 9 for BD on DVD, paying the same price as I paid for Toast 8, 2 months ago (and it's expensive in Australia $120).

This is all the Sharp BD player manual says about compatible & incompatible discs...

Can you tell me one way or the other about BD on DVD, from looking at this?

I can't find anything about BD on DVD as a standard

Thanks

■ Can Play Back

BD Video (with Region code “B” and “ALL” only)

BD-RE Ver. 2.1 1L (*finalised disc only)

BD-R Ver. 1.1 1L (*finalised disc only)

DVD Video (with Region code “4” and “ALL” only)

DVD-RW/DVD-R (*finalised disc only)

DVD+RW/DVD+R (*finalised disc only)

DVD-R DL (*finalised disc only)

Audio CD

CD-RW/CD-R

■ Cannot Play Back

CDG, Video CD, Photo CD, CD-ROM, CD-TEXT, SVCD,

SACD, PD, CDV, CVD, DVD-RAM, DVD-Audio,

BD-RE Ver. 1.0, BD-RE DL, CD-MP3, CD-WMA, DIVX Disc Type Recording

You're right. The list looks like it should do what you want. However, this may be a wish list and only true after some some upgrades.

Did you try playing some non-HD video (MPEG2, Video_TS, etc.) on a DVD-R data disc? I don't have a Blu-Ray player but my DVD player will play

the video from a non-HD .mpg file exported from EyeTV onto a DVD-R data disc. It can't see the AC3 audio imbedded in the file, so no audio.

I'd like to do exactly what you're doing after I invest in a Blu-Ray player. But soon after that I'll probably invest in a Blu-Ray burner for my Mac, they're finally under US$500, and hopefully this will all be academic.

You're right. The list looks like it should do what you want. However, this may be a wish list and only true after some some upgrades.

Did you try playing some non-HD video (MPEG2, Video_TS, etc.) on a DVD-R data disc? I don't have a Blu-Ray player but my DVD player will play

the video from a non-HD .mpg file exported from EyeTV onto a DVD-R data disc. It can't see the AC3 audio imbedded in the file, so no audio.

I'd like to do exactly what you're doing after I invest in a Blu-Ray player. But soon after that I'll probably invest in a Blu-Ray burner for my Mac, they're finally under US$500, and hopefully this will all be academic.

Thanks. I haven't bothered with a BD burner for my Mac, partly because of the price of the drives (mostly because I'm interested in playback on HD TV and LPCM sound on a good surround system, not my computer), and 'quite a bit because' the blanks are still too expensive for all but one-offs like weddings or something.

A DVD is fine for digital TV (files are much smaller)... but as you can see by the comment after yours... the player I have won't do BD on DVD. Sigh.

The Sharp player doesn't support BD on DVD.

Thanks for that. I was beginning to suspect that the Sharp was too basic to do the job.

This BD on DVD sounds cool, and I can't see the point of AVCHD, especially for DTV, which is already mpeg2, so it's just... BUMMER!

Is there a way of getting Toast 9 to make an AVCREC disc ? and do you think the Sharp would play that format ? If I've got to wait for transcoding, I guess I've just got to wait.

Thanks. I haven't bothered with a BD burner for my Mac, partly because of the price of the drives (mostly because I'm interested in playback on HD TV and LPCM sound on a good surround system, not my computer), and 'quite a bit because' the blanks are still too expensive for all but one-offs like weddings or something.

A DVD is fine for digital TV (files are much smaller)... but as you can see by the comment after yours... the player I have won't do BD on DVD. Sigh.

Too bad about the BD on DVD. I once burned a DVD data disc with a HDDVD folder (from my EyeTv file) and took it to Best Buy and played it on the Toshiba player. You may want to add your experience to http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers, where they list which DVD players play what.

For playback on my HDTV, I use the Klegg MediaShareMega. I can play a 1080i EyeTV file directly from my computer through my router with no stuttering. It's only US$130 without a hard drive (which I don't need) and has a 5.1 output. I do have to convert it (8 min/hr) to get the Klegg to recognize the audio, even though it reportedly has an AC3 pass-through mode.

Too bad about the BD on DVD. I once burned a DVD data disc with a HDDVD folder (from my EyeTv file) and took it to Best Buy and played it on the Toshiba player. You may want to add your experience to http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers, where they list which DVD players play what.

For playback on my HDTV, I use the Klegg MediaShareMega. I can play a 1080i EyeTV file directly from my computer through my router with no stuttering. It's only US$130 without a hard drive (which I don't need) and has a 5.1 output. I do have to convert it (8 min/hr) to get the Klegg to recognize the audio, even though it reportedly has an AC3 pass-through mode.

Thanks, RB. I'm always interested in ways of getting 5.1 output (a friend has a Firewave that works well, although only Dolby Digital). I'll never have enough hard drive space to keep all my HD (much less back it up?), so I need to put it on discs, preferably ones that will play in a BD player.

I've done a bit more homework - the disc I made didn't play in a Sony 300, as suggested in other discussions. The player (mis-) identified it as AVCHD, attempted to play it and produced a new kind of digital break-up I've never seen before, a kind of random checker-board of black squares and (sharp) picture, with very little audio - but at least it tried.

From a bit more Wikipedia digging, I've discovered that what is being called BD on DVD, appears to be called BD5 (single layer) and BD9 (dual), in the BD spec, and it's been around for a while, so it's not new technology or a kludge or compromise.

It is my wish that Roxio and the player manufacturers would use the correct names, as this is the purpose of a standard - so people know what you're talking about.

On the other hand, case in point - Is Toast making BD5 & BD9 format discs or a kludge that might work on some players?

Since the correct name is not being used, one might conclude that the discs do not meet the standard??

I'm beginning to draw the same conclusion as a lot of others here, that we are paying (and in Australia, you really pay, $120) for the privilege to do beta testing.

I'm back to my Toast 8 process of just burning EyeTV files to disc and hoping Toast will bring out a product that will make BD player compatible discs. Worse, the audio is out of sync on the standard DVDs and I'm wondering if Toast 9 makes anything correctly, at all!! Aah, another 'discussion' topic for me to commence...

If there's no fix coming soon, I'll be asking for a refund.