15 replies to this topic

#1 IMD

IMD

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 07:26 AM

I had installed Roxio Crunch (and then uninstalled it).  I've been having problems with Roxio 10 for a while, but they got worse after I uninstalled Crunch.  Also, having EMC installed on the computer made using the stripped down version of Roxio on my Blackberry impossible.  But that is aside for the moment...right now the problem was that none of the EMC components were working.  I'd get the R6025 on everything.

So I tried the "clean" installs, blah blah and was coming up first with "insufficient space on c: while I had over 200GB free on C).  So I did a system restore just to get the danged program back on C, because it was NOT going to let me do a clean install.  I guess the only time I'd recommend a clean install and messing with the registry is if you don't have something like Ghost or Norton Save & Restore.  If you are counting on Windows going back to the state before you tried to fix something, forget it because it doesn't touch the registry, so you need IMAGE backups to rely upon, and that completely restores the entire drive, registry and all, and you lose any changes you made since your last backup (mine does incrementals twice a week).

So the only way to get the program back onto the drive was the restore, and then figure it out for myself.  The steps below are simple, uncomplicated, and you do not have to mess with your registry nor spend the rest of your natural life trying to get the program to work as it should.

This is what I did and it worked:  If you downloaded the two big files and saved them, which I hope you did, this will solve your problem:

Take those two files that you downloaded and have them in a separate folder (I hope you have some other space than C, such as USB/firewire drives).  Take the installation file (not the content file) and extract those files into that folder.

Then go to control panel (this is XP Pro OS) and "add remove programs".  Go down to your Roxio files, and one by one choose "change" and then "repair".  When it comes to the Roxio 10 suite one, it will say it is looking for this .msi file...simply browse over to the files you just extracted and look in the folders one by one until you come to the right one.  I forget which folder it was...but then it continues the repair.  I just checked out all the components and it works fine.

IMD

Edited by IMD, 07 April 2008 - 07:56 AM.

New system:  (oh yes, I have a FEW) ;P
Dell Precision T7400, Vista 64 bit  Ultimate, SP1, 8GB RAM, Intel ® Xeon® CPU X582@3.20GHz, 8GB RAM, (2) 1TB internal HD, (1) 2 GB Fantom External HD, (2) dual quad cores, (2) Dell 3008WFP  30" Monitors with 1.5GB RAM each (1) 2TB Linksys Server, and you know what?  I had to unplug most of my peripherals because the electric in my house wasn't designed to launch a space missile ;)  But in this room there are more Maxtors, Seagates, blah blah than I could name, and yes, Bu-Ray.  Two.   I can't keep up with myself!
Meanwhile, I'm still hooked up to the Dimension 9150 as well.

Peace to all...and smile...life is short!

#2 ggrussell

ggrussell

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,941 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 07:59 AM

You can also burn that install folder to a CD (which you should anyway as a backup).  When the Repair asks for the MSI file, just insert the CD.

I highly advise making a backup CD for BOTH downloaded files after extracting them.

Edited by ggrussell, 07 April 2008 - 07:59 AM.

Intel i7 4770k, 16GB 2400, LG 47" 3D TV, Two Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD, Hitachi 1TB HD, WD 3TB external USB3, LiteOn iHBS112 Bluray, LG WH14NS40 Bluray, ATI HD7870, Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z5500 THX certified 5.1 speakers, Epson 4490 scanner, Canon 9000Pro MarkII printer, Canon MF8380CDW, Sony TRV740 8mm digital, Canon HV20 HDV camcorder and Sony SLTA65VK for still photos, Win8 Pro 64bit
---------
System 2: HP DV7-3079wm, AMD Turion M60 2.4Ghz, $GB RAM, Patriot Pyro 128GB SSD, WD 320GB, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, Win8 Pro 64bit.

Gary Russell
TNUSA

#3 IMD

IMD

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE (ggrussell @ Apr 7 2008, 07:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can also burn that install folder to a CD (which you should anyway as a backup).  When the Repair asks for the MSI file, just insert the CD.

I highly advise making a backup CD for BOTH downloaded files after extracting them.

I agree, but I'm fortunate enough to have saved both files on several external HD's, and CD's are so easily scratched, lost (my brother in law and I collect music, so you can't IMAGINE the number of CD's here (not to mention program and photo CD's, etc.)

There is something I want to stress here, albeit a bit off topic.  I am a professional photographer and a computer consultant.  Many people, especially newbies, do not understand the importance of IMAGE backups.  I can't speak for a lot of backup programs because I was disappointed with Maxtor's One Touch...but I found both Ghost and the newer version of Ghost that is called Norton Save & Restore 2.0 that is built into Norton System Works Premiere 2008 to be excellent.  One weird thing with the newer one, Norton Save & Restore, is that you have to go to "classic view" to find it within the Norton menus.  You must set a schedule, and you must have an external or two to handle the capacity.  I limit it to three because I have such large hard drives (and two terrabytes on the server), so I am really only interested in backing up the C: drive.  When you define your backups, it is wise to have one fresh restore point each month, and just do the incrementals in between.

What they must also understand is that you need to make a recovery disk, and alter your bios to boot from the CD, so that you can choose your restore points.  This may be a little over some people's heads, but I'd be happy to help.  During an image backup it will slow your system down to a crawl, depending on your ram and how you have your priorities set, but the end product is worth it.  Insurance, if you will.  I also cannot stress the importance of saving that registration key.  I use Snagit to save the key, and I save it along with the major program files.

When I look at all the grief people go through with this program, I feel somehow obligated to impart what I've found.  There are too many glitches, and Roxio wants you to go through all of these unnecessary and daunting steps when the procedure I described in the post before this solves it so easily.

I have the initial downloaded files saved on several different external drives, just is case.  Whew.  I'm so glad I relied on myself instead of Roxio.

I surely hope that these people find these posts because otherwise wig-makers are going to come into windfall profits from people tearing their hair out... wink.gif

IMD
Dell Precision T7400, Vista 64 bit  Ultimate, SP1, 8GB RAM, Intel ® Xeon® CPU X582@3.20GHz, 8GB RAM, (2) 1TB internal HD, (1) 2 GB Fantom External HD, (2) dual quad cores, (2) Dell 3008WFP  30" Monitors with 1.5GB RAM each (1) 2TB Linksys Server, and you know what?  I had to unplug most of my peripherals because the electric in my house wasn't designed to launch a space missile ;)  But in this room there are more Maxtors, Seagates, blah blah than I could name, and yes, Bu-Ray.  Two.   I can't keep up with myself!

#4 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,487 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE (IMD @ Apr 7 2008, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree, but I'm fortunate enough to have saved both files on several external HD's, and CD's are so easily scratched, lost (my brother in law and I collect music, so you can't IMAGINE the number of CD's here (not to mention program and photo CD's, etc.)

There is something I want to stress here, albeit a bit off topic.  I am a professional photographer and a computer consultant.  Many people, especially newbies, do not understand the importance of IMAGE backups.  I can't speak for a lot of backup programs because I was disappointed with Maxtor's One Touch...but I found both Ghost and the newer version of Ghost that is called Norton Save & Restore 2.0 that is built into Norton System Works Premiere 2008 to be excellent.  One weird thing with the newer one, Norton Save & Restore, is that you have to go to "classic view" to find it within the Norton menus.  You must set a schedule, and you must have an external or two to handle the capacity.  I limit it to three because I have such large hard drives (and two terrabytes on the server), so I am really only interested in backing up the C: drive.  When you define your backups, it is wise to have one fresh restore point each month, and just do the incrementals in between.

What they must also understand is that you need to make a recovery disk, and alter your bios to boot from the CD, so that you can choose your restore points.  This may be a little over some people's heads, but I'd be happy to help.  During an image backup it will slow your system down to a crawl, depending on your ram and how you have your priorities set, but the end product is worth it.  Insurance, if you will.  I also cannot stress the importance of saving that registration key.  I use Snagit to save the key, and I save it along with the major program files.

When I look at all the grief people go through with this program, I feel somehow obligated to impart what I've found.  There are too many glitches, and Roxio wants you to go through all of these unnecessary and daunting steps when the procedure I described in the post before this solves it so easily.

I have the initial downloaded files saved on several different external drives, just is case.  Whew.  I'm so glad I relied on myself instead of Roxio.

I surely hope that these people find these posts because otherwise wig-makers are going to come into windfall profits from people tearing their hair out... wink.gif

IMD

I've used Norton Ghost for years, and even though I am a long time Roxio user, I don't use what Roxio calls a backup program.
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#5 ml

ml

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,048 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (ggrussell @ Apr 7 2008, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can also burn that install folder to a CD (which you should anyway as a backup). When the Repair asks for the MSI file, just insert the CD.

If you're making a backup of the Roxio program, a DVD would be more appropriate.  

EMC 10 comes on a DVD, not a CD.  smile.gif
ml

flying squirrel......"It's more of a gliding thing....."

Intel® Core™2 Duo 2.2 Ghz desktop processor E4500;
3GB DDR2 memory;
DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive;
500GB SATA 7200 rpm hard drive;
Windows Vista Home Premium ,
ATI RADEON HD 2400,Built-in TV tuner , High-definition audio (8-speaker support), HDMI
Multiformat media reader,
IEEE 1394 (FireWire) interface and 6 high-speed USB 2.0 ports,
PCI card with 4 USB 2.0 and 2 IEEE 1394 ports,
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet

#6 IMD

IMD

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE (grandpabruce @ Apr 7 2008, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've used Norton Ghost for years, and even though I am a long time Roxio user, I don't use what Roxio calls a backup program.

I too have used Ghost for many years on all of my machines (have quite a few).  But with the new version of Norton System Works 2008 Premiere, it comes with "Save and Restore 2.0.  I found it to be even more reliable than Ghost.  Ghost sometimes (at least until version 10, don't know if they fixed it in 12), it had a habit of not obeying my directives of keeping only three, and would go on and on and just fill up the disk.  Tried many times to smack it and tell it to cut that out.

The thing about the version of Save and Restore that comes with System Works Premiere is that it is actually hidden. You have to go into "Classic View" to find it.  I find that extremely odd.

I do not use the Norton Go Back, just the Save and Restore.  It is basically Ghost with many refinements.

If newbies read this, please take this advice to heart.  There is NOTHING more important than IMAGE backups.  That is  a complete head-to-toe restoration of your system.  Nothing built into Windows, any version, does that.  A lot of backup programs merely backup your FILES, but do not include registry or system information.

An external HD (one with lots of GB or even TB --I have a two terrabyte server attached to this machine) is the place to designate as your backup.  You don't want to put your backups on your C or D drive (if you have two internals) and then store your backups there, because if your system goes kablooey after you do something, you need to be able to put that boot CD or DVD in, let your system boot from that, and then restore your drive/drives that you backed up onto the external.  It is the only way, trust me.  MAKE SURE THAT YOU TELL THE PROGRAM TO IGNORE BAD SECTORS, because if you don't, you will be transferring problems if you have bad sectors on your internal drives.  Also, follow the instructions on setting your bios so that you CAN boot from a CD or DVD.  It is easy enough to test to see if it is.  Just stick your boot disk in, restart your machine, and watch the screen.  If it tells you to hit any key to boot from CD or DVD, then you know you are already set, so you don't have to change your bios (basic input/output system).

Sometimes it isn't anything more than a simple update that went wrong, and you need to restore.  Depending on the size of your drives, and the information contained therein, it could take hours for the initial backup (or restore point).  After that the incrementals go much faster.  A fresh restore point once a month is a good idea, with at least two backups a week.  Or you can set it to do a backup anytime you are about to attempt something.  I think some computers get PMS at times wink.gif.

I time mine to start about 2AM so that it is done by the time I am up.  But be careful, and check your backups because if you have Windows set to update automatically, as I do, it can ruin a backup when it reboots, and you might find yourself in a pickle.  I was using Ghost 10, and if the system did the update and automatic reboot, Ghost wouldn't tell you that it happened, and here you'd be thinking you were all safe and snuggly with your image backup, only to find when you needed it that it wasn't good.  Save and Restore addressed that issue and tells you that the backup was interrupted and asks if you would like to continue.  It also has a much friendlier interface, and as I've said now for the third time, the only thing weird is that you have to FIND the program in Classic View.

Hope this information is helpful.  I know that every day of the week so many people are getting their first computers, and it is hard to try to impress upon them the importance of image backups.

IMD

Edited by IMD, 09 April 2008 - 08:06 AM.

#7 Beerman

Beerman

Digital Beer Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -7,085 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:29 AM

I time mine to start about 2AM so that it is done by the time I am up. But be careful, and check your backups because if you have Windows set to update automatically, as I do, it can ruin a backup when it reboots, and you might find yourself in a pickle.

IMD, I would strongly suggest no one allow Microsoft to update automatically.  Do a google and  you'll find thousands who were sorry they ever did.
Paul
------
Custom Built ASUS P8Z77 V-Deluxe, Core i7 3770k, 16 GB Memory-ASUS ENGTX560 DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560, H80i Cooler, 750W Power Supply, COOLER MASTER HAF XM RC-922XM-KKN1 case,Corsair Force Series GS CSSD-F240GBGS-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III SSD, InfiniTV4 & HDHomerun Tuners- running Windows 8 (and other goodies)
#2-P877WS- Core i7 3770k, 16GB Memory-GeForce GTX 650Ti, SATA III SSD, H100i cooler, 750W PS,

#8 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,487 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE (IMD @ Apr 9 2008, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[snip]

I too have used Ghost for many years on all of my machines (have quite a few).  But with the new version of Norton System Works 2008 Premiere, it comes with "Save and Restore 2.0.  I found it to be even more reliable than Ghost.  Ghost sometimes (at least until version 10, don't know if they fixed it in 12), it had a habit of not obeying my directives of keeping only three, and would go on and on and just fill up the disk.  Tried many times to smack it and tell it to cut that out.

The thing about the version of Save and Restore that comes with System Works Premiere is that it is actually hidden. You have to go into "Classic View" to find it.  I find that extremely odd.

IMD

I have SystemWorks Premier 2008 but have only installed it on my wife's laptop.  The Save and Restore is pretty nice, but I had to use Classic View, too.

On my computer, I still use the 2003 version of Ghost, because I still use my floppy drive, and you don't even have to have Norton SystemWorks on your computer, "Ghost". smile.gif
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#9 IMD

IMD

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (Beerman @ Apr 9 2008, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IMD, I would strongly suggest no one allow Microsoft to update automatically.  Do a google and  you'll find thousands who were sorry they ever did.

Well, I let it run on two of the six machines.  On the others I let them download automatically, but then choose when to install them myself.  It IS, of course, more wise to do it that way on all the machines, but as I solve the problems of others, I have to let some of the machines do what they do so that I can be in the same place they are, and solve it that way.  I can't solve a problem I can't replicate.

I'm in a bit of a pickle myself with NIS over on one of my ThinkPads.  It had the motherboard replaced as it was still new and under warranty (still is), but ever since then, it screws up something...there is some kind of a clash I can't quite figure out.  It has to do with the embedded security chip, the fingerprint software, and the live updates on NIS 2008.  Since it is the only machine with that configuration (it is a T43p), and the only machine with that problem...I find myself "fixing it", only to have it happen again a few days later.  Now that one does not do automatic updates on Windows system.  Those I do manually.

The odd thing is, the live updates for NIS come in, get installed...but an exclamation point is in the little Norton circle in the systray, and it will tell me my live updates need attention.  So I use all of their tools to do it manually, and it says my definitions are up to date, yet the exclamation point remains and it still tells me I need to give it attention.  Very strange.  Their techs tried several times, but they screwed up the machine so badly I had to go back to a restore and fix it myself.  Only the fix never stays.  What happens is I'll boot it up and if the embedded security chip disables itself, and I have to re-enable it through admin, it will start the NIS problem again.  Frustrating because the Lenovo/IBM software is over on a protected partition.

This did not happen until the motherboard and embedded security chip were replaced.  So whatever they did, it wasn't done right.  However, I do enjoy digging in and solving myself rather than handing it over.  Of course, I could simply disable the fingerprint and embedded security chip and leave it that way, but as my client does not, I cannot.  Besides, I had one brand new ThinkPad stolen whilst in Orlando, so my notebooks need all the security I can give them.  The darn thing was only about three weeks old, and loaded (a total loss of about 10K including the Italian leather rolling office and all the peripherals within it).  Luckily I had the forethought to have a Maxtor with a Ghost backup on it in a separate suitcase (it was a snatch and run deal whilst my husband and I were loading the SUV).  So my client had another identical machine assembled by Lenovo and overnighted to me once I reached Disney World.

So several times a month I have to fight it all over again, until I can figure out how to make the embedded security chip stop disabling itself.  This is why god invented Xanax. wink.gif  On the other ThinkPad, the security chip was NOT replaced, so I do not have the problem of it disabling itself.

That machine doesn't have Roxio on it.  With all the big machines in here, found no reason to put it on the notebooks.  I use Nero on there, a lot safer.  To handle the photos and films (I rarely use the video camera) I use Adobe Elements and Premier.  But it also has CS3 and Lightroom on it.  I take a LOT of RAW photos, big files, and they need CS3 and Lightroom.

IMD

#10 IMD

IMD

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:34 AM

Well, I FINALLY solved the headache of the Live Updates on the one notebook.

What I did was take out all of the security stuff, reboot, then put it back in.  This is a sonofagun to do, because I have four separate security lockdowns on it, including fingerprint.

And now that that particular problem is installed, and this particular Dell desktop is fully backed up, I'm going to try installing Crunch again and see if it screws up EMC 10 again.  Yes, it is the deluxe version of EMC10.

One of the programs similar to Roxio promised dual monitor support (something I had a wee problem with, but with eyes the way they were, I let it go for the time being).  Now I can't recall which program it was! LOL!

I have a Sony Bravia HD 32" in front of me, and a Dell 24" ultra sharp to the right of me, and running slideshows created with EMC 10 showed up on both screens, telling me my video card drivers were outdated, which of course they are not, so I suspect it is something within EMC 10 itself.  Other programs do not seem to have the same problem.  I'd get one huge one on the Bravia, which didn't show the whole thing, and another version, that was not aspect ratio controlled on the Dell monitor.  Interesting.

Anyone else run across this?

IMD

#11 itobor

itobor

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:13 PM

IMD -

I tried your suggestion, as I really wanted to avoid a complete clean-up and reinstall.  But (I am embarrassed to admit) I could not find the extracted files after extraction.  EMC-10 was refusing to run CinePlayer - error message to effect that could not find CPDP.msi for decoding.  During extraction I could see CPDP.msi (also looked for CPDecorderpack_43) but then despite full search of computer could not find those elements after extraction.  So I ended up doing a full cleanup and reinstall of EMC-10 2 downloaded files and all seems to be working OK now BUT  for future reference, what silly newbie error was in making in not finding the extracted files?

Creator 2011 on: Homebrew Desktop; Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 (build 6001)
MB: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. X48-DQ6; L1 64KB, L2 6144KB
2.67 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q9450; 4 GB DDR2 800 RAM; Chipset: ICH9/ICH9R; Bus Clock: 333 megahertz
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT [Display adapter], PIONEER DVR-213NP ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]
Kaspersky Internet  Security

Creator 2010 on:  Toshiba Satellite A500; Vista Home Premium SP2
2.00 GH Intel 2 Core Duo P7350; 4GB RAM, ICH9 Chipset,  L1 64kb, L2 3072KB
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4600 Series (1 GB), Matshita DVD-RAM UJ889AS
Norton 360

#12 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,487 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (itobor @ Apr 20 2008, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IMD -

I tried your suggestion, as I really wanted to avoid a complete clean-up and reinstall.  But (I am embarrassed to admit) I could not find the extracted files after extraction.  EMC-10 was refusing to run CinePlayer - error message to effect that could not find CPDP.msi for decoding.  During extraction I could see CPDP.msi (also looked for CPDecorderpack_43) but then despite full search of computer could not find those elements after extraction.  So I ended up doing a full cleanup and reinstall of EMC-10 2 downloaded files and all seems to be working OK now BUT  for future reference, what silly newbie error was in making in not finding the extracted files?

See the thread you just started.
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce

Main System:
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#13 IMD

IMD

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE (grandpabruce @ Apr 20 2008, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
See the thread you just started.

Grandpa!!!!  Are you saying I'm a trouble-maker wink.gif ?  No, actually I am a computer consultant, and my eldest son is a computer systems engineer, and we are always picking each other's brains, although thankfully he is not blonde wink.gif

A lot of these programs I just run and test under different circumstances, different configurations, different amounts of RAM and whatnot.  A lot of them I do not even need or use.

Example:   I have a very nice JVC video that records directly to HD, but funny thing is...it uses a file format called .mod which some software claims to support, but not really.  I've found the only one that vaguely handles it is Adobe Premier. or Premiere, depending on which program is how they spell it.  So it was a waste of time.

I'm a retired professional photographer (my equipment got too heavy for this old bag of bones, and somehow...that last time when the little girl sat in front of me (pre-digital) and said her mother wanted to see her french braid in the photo (located directly in the back of her skull), I found the primal instinct of survival overtaking my motherly instinct.  That, and degenerative arthritis and some eye problems (required several surgeries) made me stay back in my field.  The field I was in for over 30 years.

The last dancing school I did (about three years ago) made me crippled for six months and required three procedures (those nasty cortisone shots in the you know what at 2K a pop), told me it was time to turn all the pro stuff over....now I am digital.  I have many digitals (the latest being the Nikon D3)...but the fascination of both computers and cameras is part of my soul.  I am light and I am shadow.

I pulled my live.spaces.com thing off because too many weirdos and too many very religious people were hooking up with me.  Sorry, I lost a lot of friends in 'Nam too, and that can turn anyone into non-religious.  I'll put it back up soon.

And let me say here and now that I think the way our Nam Vets were treated was an atrocity.  Thank you for your service.  Thank you for risking your life and living through a hell you should not have had to live through.  You didn't ask to be sent there, you went there because you were told to.  You went there because you were and are an American and you served your president, whether you thought he was right or wrong.  I salute you, and all of the soldiers.  Thank you, as should all Americans.

My son serves in another way, he protects the public here in America from themselves.  (translation:  he does his job and any Tom, Dick or Harry can sue him for doing so).  Yet I see him (or did before he moved) going out to work in a bullet-proof vest.

No, no one appreciates the vets more than I do.  My Dad (long gone) was a sharp-shooter in the coast guard WWII.  AND HE COULDN'T SWIM TO SAVE HIS LIFE! LOL!

However, my other son (the heli pilot and network systems engineer) can use any gun and put the bullet through the same hole time after time (got that from my Dad).

Needless to say, because he is a natural sharp-shooter, and licensed to fly many heli's, and scored the highest strategic battle scores ever (high school recruitment), I am very happy that he was past the draft, and is now too old to consider should they reinstate it.  I hope.

However, my uncle, one year older than myself, is NOT too old because he retired as a Col. in the Marines and served many, many tours of duty as a phantom fighter pilot in Nam.

Go figger.  Sorry guys, to stray off topic, but our Nam Vets were not appreciated, and to me that is the ultimate insult and travesty.

IMD

Edited by IMD, 20 April 2008 - 06:48 PM.

#14 ggrussell

ggrussell

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,941 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (IMD @ Apr 20 2008, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Example:   I have a very nice JVC video that records directly to HD, but funny thing is...it uses a file format called .mod which some software claims to support, but not really.
Only because JVC isn't using a standrad extension. The only exception is their 16:9 format which for some reason doesn't have the standard MPEG 16:9 flag in the header, but that's a different issue. For the 4:3 JVC files, just change the extension to .MPG and the files should work in most editors.

According to GSpot, the files I got from my nephew's JVC camcorder are:
DVD "VOB" format, MPEG-2 stream
Sys bitrate 10080kb/s VBR
average bitrate 8732kb/s
interlaced, top field first
Audio: AC3 CBR 48000Hz @384kb/s stereo

I've never had a problem using these files with any editor that I own including Adobe and EMC.

Edited by ggrussell, 20 April 2008 - 07:35 PM.

Intel i7 4770k, 16GB 2400, LG 47" 3D TV, Two Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD, Hitachi 1TB HD, WD 3TB external USB3, LiteOn iHBS112 Bluray, LG WH14NS40 Bluray, ATI HD7870, Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z5500 THX certified 5.1 speakers, Epson 4490 scanner, Canon 9000Pro MarkII printer, Canon MF8380CDW, Sony TRV740 8mm digital, Canon HV20 HDV camcorder and Sony SLTA65VK for still photos, Win8 Pro 64bit
---------
System 2: HP DV7-3079wm, AMD Turion M60 2.4Ghz, $GB RAM, Patriot Pyro 128GB SSD, WD 320GB, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, Win8 Pro 64bit.

Gary Russell
TNUSA

#15 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,487 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:26 AM

QUOTE (IMD @ Apr 20 2008, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Grandpa!!!!  Are you saying I'm a trouble-maker wink.gif ?  IMD

No, I just wanted Itobor to follow his other thread with the same topic, so to speak.

And thanks for the kind words on the "other".

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce

Main System:
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#16 IMD

IMD

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:26 AM

QUOTE (grandpabruce @ Apr 21 2008, 08:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, I just wanted Itobor to follow his other thread with the same topic, so to speak.

And thanks for the kind words on the "other".

Thanks for the information.  I bought the danged thing just to try it out (the files).  I'm a still photographer, and have never liked home video, but wanted to try it out.  My kids are long grown, and nothing is more boring than watching home videos of one's own feet....  (however I have to admit that America's Funniest is one of the TV shows I actually watch! LOL!)

Still, I will try what you suggested on a few of the programs.   What I want is the ability to do frame by frame editing...and the ability to stick in some stills in the form of several frames with fun editing, such as clipping a few frames from the "family dinner" of the Godfather and inserting it into a Thanksgiving video, but changing the faces to be family faces instead of actors, starting off with the real thing, blending quickly to family faces, and fading out before anyone realizes what happened.  Probably about 10 seconds worth.  But my homemade videos are just a minute or two long, just for laugh value, and only inserted into a slideshow of stills.  Actually, I'd say my inserts of video are less than a minute, perhaps a few seconds.

The only one I found so far that I could zero in frame by frame was Adobe.  It has to be my lack of knowledge of home made video.  I did have another video camera, but it was tape, and I think I used it maybe ten times total.  I bought the gadget to make copying those tapes to DVD, and never got around to actually using it.  It is still in its ( and almost impossible to get out of) plastic bubble-wrap stuff.

So I will try to rename a test video and see what happens.  

Thanks for the info.  I used SnagIt so I'll remember.

IMD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users