cdanteek

Competition Gone, Blu-ray Prices Continue To Climb

Question

7 answers to this question

I don't know about the players but the price of a Blu-Ray burner over here is now round 120 Sterling (and none of the local suppliers have even heard if there are any HD burners in the offing)

For users of funny money - the US$ is roughly 50% of the value of sterling so double the quoyed price)

Looking around for a PC Blu-Ray burner it looks like around $200 US is commonplace.

For a settop unit for the home entertainment system it looks like they're still hovering around $400 US.

I'd like to have one for the house but at that price I think I can wait a while...lol

Looking around for a PC Blu-Ray burner it looks like around $200 US is commonplace.

For a settop unit for the home entertainment system it looks like they're still hovering around $400 US.

I'd like to have one for the house but at that price I think I can wait a while...lol

Look real close your $200 is a BD-ROM Read, not a BD-R DL Write, BD-RE DL Write!

cd

Where? Can't find them locally here at all. Google I find LG at $329 (Best Buy) up to a Sony at $599.

My supplier doesn't list the specs, but this is from another source at 146 sterling :

Developed for professional users, the BDR-202 internal drive for PCs supports the writing of both write-once (BD-R) and rewritable (BD-RE) single-layer Blu-ray discs.

The versatile writer, which is now available in Europe, is also compatible with a range of DVD and CD media; speeds include 12X writing to DVD-R/+R, 6X to DVD-RW/+RW and 24X to CD-R/RW.

The optical pickup unit is equipped with our newly developed BD/DVD/CD three-way compatible lens that realises high-speed recording at a maximum speed of 4X on BD-R media and 2X speed on BD-RE.

The writer also reads BD-ROM and DVD-ROM discs, and read/writes to

DVD-R/+R

DVD-RW/+RW

DVD-R DL/+R DL Dual/Double-Layer discs and also

CD-R/RW discs.

The BDR-202 includes a range of innovations to enhance read/write capabilities including:

Ultra DRA: which suppresses vibration when writing based on know-how that we have been cultivating in the development of DVD writers.

Limited Equalizer LSI : that dramatically improves reading reliability.

Multi-Effect Liquid Crystal Tilt Compensator: that advances the recording and playback characteristics by adding correction to the laser beam which compensates for disc impurities such as titled media and media of various thickness.

Quick Google has that listed as $395 - $429US. Blank BDR $9.99 to $24.95US EACH

I can wait :)

Edited by ggrussell