Willard M

Proxy Files-what Are They?

Question

My hard drive is getting full and I have been working on cleaning it up of leftover files. I have found literally hundreds if not thousands of files still showing from DVD movies that I have made in the past and deleted after burning the disc. I am not talking about the original pictures. I know that those need not be deleted unless so desired.

These files appear to be duplicates of the original files. I was under the understanding that Roxio, like Power Point, did not create photo or music files but simply pointed to the location of the original pictures or songs.

The file path to these proxy files for example:

aproxy_track,wagonwheel,4-10-08 041.avi,wav

aproxy_track,wagonwheel,4-10-08 041.jpg.png

They are stored in Folders apparently created by Roxio

C:/Documents and Settings/wcarroll/Application Data/Roxio/VideoU19/Proxy

To see what I mean go to Windows search and type in aproxy or iproxy. Some of the files I found are huge. One song wav file had 168mb in it.

My question is: Are these duplicate pictures and is it safe to delete them if the movie no longer exists and secondly, is there a way to find all of these proxy files and safely get rid of them without deleting application files?

Edited by Willard M

4 answers to this question

QUOTE (Willard M @ Apr 19 2008, 08:35 PM) My hard drive is getting full and I have been working on cleaning it up of leftover files. I have found literally hundreds if not thousands of files still showing from DVD movies that I have made in the past and deleted after burning the disc. I am not talking about the original pictures. I know that those need not be deleted unless so desired.

These files appear to be duplicates of the original files. I was under the understanding that Roxio, like Power Point, did not create photo or music files but simply pointed to the location of the original pictures or songs.

The file path to these proxy files for example:

aproxy_track,wagonwheel,4-10-08 041.avi,wav

aproxy_track,wagonwheel,4-10-08 041.jpg.png

They are stored in Folders apparently created by Roxio

C:/Documents and Settings/wcarroll/Application Data/Roxio/VideoU19/Proxy

To see what I mean go to Windows search and type in aproxy or iproxy. Some of the files I found are huge. One song wav file had 168mb in it.

My question is: Are these duplicate pictures and is it safe to delete them if the movie no longer exists and secondly, is there a way to find all of these proxy files and safely get rid of them without deleting application files?

Yes those files can be deleted and there have been numerous posts on how to do it. In fact EMC 10 has a option to do just that. Launch Videowave or myDVD and under Tools/Options select "clear proxy files". If they are ever need they will be recreated. I clear out proxy file before I start any new project or even sooner.

Edited by myguggi

That worked well. I just checked and they are all gone. Will make it a practice to do as you and get rid of them on each new project.

Thank you

That worked well. I just checked and they are all gone. Will make it a practice to do as you and get rid of them on each new project.

Thank you

What worked well? I don't see the reply here. Could you reply with a copy of the response you got that resolved this issue?

What worked well? I don't see the reply here. Could you reply with a copy of the response you got that resolved this issue?

Read post #2, the bolded part.