• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 lip89

lip89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:09 AM

I am trying to convert a home video to copy to Itunes and every time I do it, it goes to about 50% and then says completed and wont register the transfer properly. I have tried this several times. The videos are in WMV format and play fine on media player and are about 40 minutes long

I have tried Apple TV Fastest, Apple TV standard and Apple TVE Highest...

nothing works...

any help?

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,478 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:49 AM

Crunch won't convert WMV without additional software. On a Mac it requires a paid version of Flip4Mac that enables decoding WMV files.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 lip89

lip89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:59 AM

I see in the help and instructions for this software crunch can convert any type of file including WMV....so what types does this home movie need to be in?
When I convert a home movie, what conversion should I be doing it in to crunch it to an MPEG 4??

any help would be appreciated

#4 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,478 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (lip89 @ May 5 2008, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see in the help and instructions for this software crunch can convert any type of file including WMV....so what types does this home movie need to be in?
When I convert a home movie, what conversion should I be doing it in to crunch it to an MPEG 4??

any help would be appreciated

Are you using the Mac or Windows version of Crunch? I assumed the Mac. I searched the Help document and found no mention of wmv. It makes sense that such support is in the Windows version, however. If you have a Mac go to flip4mac.com and buy the WMV Player Pro for $29. This should enable Crunch to convert wmv files to AppleTV. If you have a PC I don't know anything about that version of Crunch.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#5 lip89

lip89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (tsantee @ May 5 2008, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you using the Mac or Windows version of Crunch? I assumed the Mac. I searched the Help document and found no mention of wmv. It makes sense that such support is in the Windows version, however. If you have a Mac go to flip4mac.com and buy the WMV Player Pro for $29. This should enable Crunch to convert wmv files to AppleTV. If you have a PC I don't know anything about that version of Crunch.

Im using the Windows version of Crunch and it stated in the Help areas that Windows media files are transferable...so thats why I am confused. I can understand MAC but Windows?? Why so difficult to converta simple media WMV file to MPEG 4?

Please help!

#6 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,478 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (lip89 @ May 5 2008, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im using the Windows version of Crunch and it stated in the Help areas that Windows media files are transferable...so thats why I am confused. I can understand MAC but Windows?? Why so difficult to converta simple media WMV file to MPEG 4?

Please help!

Sorry that I added to your confusion. The AppleTV setting should have worked without the problem you're experiencing. Do you have lots of available hard drive space and RAM? What is the resolution (i.e. 640x480) of the wmv video? If it is 320x240 then choose the Video iPod setting instead of AppleTV.

One possibility is there is a problem with the wmv video at the point the conversion stops. For example there could be dropped frames. Players have error correction that let them continue past those problems but software encoders need every frame to be readable. I'm just guessing and don't know if the problem is with the video. You'll know by trying a different video and seeing if it also has the same problem during conversion.

Edited by tsantee, 05 May 2008 - 09:39 PM.

#7 lip89

lip89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:07 AM

Its not a problem with the video since I have tried several Windows Media files and it seems when I switch to Apple TV Fastest it completes its transfer on the first stage and then seems to stop in the middle of the second stage about 30% and says completed....when I tried it in other settings of Apple TV it wont even go through the first stage at all...it just stops halfway and says completed...I see nothing as a transfer in ITtunes folders. the video plays fine in the crunch viewing section. I even tried saving it to my hard drive. I have a 512K hard drive on my computer and a 140G Apple TV so thats not the issue. Saving it to my hard drive makes a Quicktime move but when I try to view it on quicktime, it wont allow me to pull it up...the home video is standard tape and I downloaded to Windows Movie Maker

does this help?? I am just not sure what the problem is.

thanks

QUOTE (tsantee @ May 5 2008, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry that I added to your confusion. The AppleTV setting should have worked without the problem you're experiencing. Do you have lots of available hard drive space and RAM? What is the resolution (i.e. 640x480) of the wmv video? If it is 320x240 then choose the Video iPod setting instead of AppleTV.

One possibility is there is a problem with the wmv video at the point the conversion stops. For example there could be dropped frames. Players have error correction that let them continue past those problems but software encoders need every frame to be readable. I'm just guessing and don't know if the problem is with the video. You'll know by trying a different video and seeing if it also has the same problem during conversion.

#8 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,478 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:37 AM

QUOTE (lip89 @ May 6 2008, 05:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its not a problem with the video since I have tried several Windows Media files and it seems when I switch to Apple TV Fastest it completes its transfer on the first stage and then seems to stop in the middle of the second stage about 30% and says completed....when I tried it in other settings of Apple TV it wont even go through the first stage at all...it just stops halfway and says completed...I see nothing as a transfer in ITtunes folders. the video plays fine in the crunch viewing section. I even tried saving it to my hard drive. I have a 512K hard drive on my computer and a 140G Apple TV so thats not the issue. Saving it to my hard drive makes a Quicktime move but when I try to view it on quicktime, it wont allow me to pull it up...the home video is standard tape and I downloaded to Windows Movie Maker

does this help?? I am just not sure what the problem is.

thanks

I don't know what is causing the problem but your description sounds like Crunch is stopping after it has used up all your computer's RAM. I'll check if a PC user can offer some insight.

#9 ml

ml

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,048 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:26 AM

Shouldn't be the RAM because his computer exceeds the minimum specifications of 256MB.

Could it be the hard disk space? The minimum specs are up to 15 GB of free disk space. Defragmenting the hard drive might be a good idea so that the program can write easily to a contiguous space on the hard drive.

Minimum specs are:
1.4 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent
Apple TVTM, Video iPod® or iPhoneTM
256MB RAM
Windows XP w/Service Pack 2 or Windows Vista
300 MB of free disk space to install
Up to 15 GB of temporary free disk space during usage
QuickTime 7.1.5 or higher
iTunes 7.1.1 or higher

If your computer meets those requirements, I'd suggest you contact Roxio Tech Support. I don't have Crunch so I can't test it. Sorry.

Edited by ml, 06 May 2008 - 07:27 AM.

ml

flying squirrel......"It's more of a gliding thing....."

Intel® Core™2 Duo 2.2 Ghz desktop processor E4500;
3GB DDR2 memory;
DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive;
500GB SATA 7200 rpm hard drive;
Windows Vista Home Premium ,
ATI RADEON HD 2400,Built-in TV tuner , High-definition audio (8-speaker support), HDMI
Multiformat media reader,
IEEE 1394 (FireWire) interface and 6 high-speed USB 2.0 ports,
PCI card with 4 USB 2.0 and 2 IEEE 1394 ports,
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet

#10 tbrewst

tbrewst

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:54 AM

I don't want to steer you away from Roxio products but think about trying Handbrake.It's a free app that will take movies and convert and transfer them to your iPod or where ever you need.I've used it to transfer DVD's to a friends iPod.It worked well.
RIP Johnny Winter

Terry

64 bitWindows 8.1 OS
AMD FX-8320 8 core 3.5Ghz processor with Arctic Freezer 64 Pro cooling fan
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 AM3+ motherboard
Galaxy  GeForce GTX 550 Ti video card with 1Gb memory
8Gb G Skill Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 RAM
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD drive
1Tb Hitachi SATA hard drive
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray drive
Lite-On iHAS224-06 SATA DVD drive
Rosewill Destroyer case
Cambridge Soundworks THX 5.1 speaker system
Onboard Realtek HD audio
I-inc iH-252HPB 25" widescreen monitor connected via HDMI
Samsung 2525W Laser Printer

#11 lip89

lip89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:31 AM

Ill try to defrag...but I hardly have anything on this computer at all...its only 2 years old and is a Pentium 4. Surpirsed if it is the disk space that stops this product midstream when it trys to convert to MPEG 4...I have all the other requirements and I am simply trying to convert this to put it into ITunes to play on my Apple TV.

Didnt think it was going to be this complicated when I purchased Crunch. Ill try something else I guess. Should I try saving this file in a different format?

QUOTE (ml @ May 6 2008, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shouldn't be the RAM because his computer exceeds the minimum specifications of 256MB.

Could it be the hard disk space? The minimum specs are up to 15 GB of free disk space. Defragmenting the hard drive might be a good idea so that the program can write easily to a contiguous space on the hard drive.

Minimum specs are:
1.4 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent
Apple TVTM, Video iPod® or iPhoneTM
256MB RAM
Windows XP w/Service Pack 2 or Windows Vista
300 MB of free disk space to install
Up to 15 GB of temporary free disk space during usage
QuickTime 7.1.5 or higher
iTunes 7.1.1 or higher

If your computer meets those requirements, I'd suggest you contact Roxio Tech Support. I don't have Crunch so I can't test it. Sorry.

#12 Jekiacoke

Jekiacoke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:02 PM

Video formats that Apple TV supports:
Video: H.264 video up to 720p, MPEG-4 video, Motion JPEG (M-JPEG)
Audio: HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through

Judging from its supported video formats, if you would like to put video files to apple tv for playback, you have to use a video converter to recode your video to H.264 or mpeg 4. Now share the news about Apple tv video converter which may be help you out:

http://www.prlog.org...apple-tv-2.html

#13 wellemily

wellemily

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

i know a step by step guide on how to convert avi to itunes, apple tv, ipad at http://www.foundatio...10000-15-1.aspx

this guide also helps to convert wmv to itunes, apple tv, ipad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users