Sign in to follow this  
Doc69

Different Volume Of Video Clips?

Question

I'm making a compilation DVD of different music videos collected from different sources. Unfortunately, in the finished DVD, the videos have different volume. How can I lower the volume of the ones that are the most loud?

3 answers to this question

I'm making a compilation DVD of different music videos collected from different sources. Unfortunately, in the finished DVD, the videos have different volume. How can I lower the volume of the ones that are the most loud?

That isn't easy. What is the format of the source videos? One option could be to use MPEG Streamclip to demux the videos into separate audio and video streams, with the audio stream being uncompressed. That audio files could be placed in Toast's Convert window (with Audio files set as the format) where you select them, choose Normalize from the Disc menu and then export back to AIFF. When you add the video stream to Toast's Video window it will add the audio if it is in the same folder and has the same name except for the extension. If Toast can't find the audio it will ask you to locate it. When all is ready choose Save as Disc Image. The question is whether the audio will remain in sync throughout all of this.

That isn't easy. What is the format of the source videos? One option could be to use MPEG Streamclip to demux the videos into separate audio and video streams, with the audio stream being uncompressed. That audio files could be placed in Toast's Convert window (with Audio files set as the format) where you select them, choose Normalize from the Disc menu and then export back to AIFF. When you add the video stream to Toast's Video window it will add the audio if it is in the same folder and has the same name except for the extension. If Toast can't find the audio it will ask you to locate it. When all is ready choose Save as Disc Image. The question is whether the audio will remain in sync throughout all of this.

Thanks for your reply tsantee. My video files are of mixed sort. Some are MPEG-2 Streams (audio and video together ripped from Cinematize Pro), some .avi some .mpg, some divx, XviD etc. So my only option is to demux the audio and video and then process the audio file in an audio editor to lower the volume or normalize?

Thanks for your reply tsantee. My video files are of mixed sort. Some are MPEG-2 Streams (audio and video together ripped from Cinematize Pro), some .avi some .mpg, some divx, XviD etc. So my only option is to demux the audio and video and then process the audio file in an audio editor to lower the volume or normalize?

That's the method I can think of. You can export to separate streams with Cinematize Pro which will save some steps for those files. Yours may be a good question to ask in the Mac forum at videohelp.com. Also, I've found Miraizon very good at replying to questions and they may have a suggestion for at least normalizing audio from exported from DVDs.