Jump to content
  • 0
vid2man97

Noisy Power Supply

Question

I was wondering if anyone out there has any personal experience with Coolermaster power supplies.

Specifically, I have the RP-500-PCAR running in my tower.

 

I noticed that from time to time, I get a slight 'ticking' noise coming from the fan. Lately, it's gotten fairly loud when first turned on in the morning, dying down to the gentle 'tick' I'm used to.

 

The word I get from the computer shop and Coolermaster is that this noise is common to this supply. I'm not big on noise as I equate noise with bad things about to happen.

 

I can guess what you'll say...I'm thinking the same thing...get a different supply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

You may find the bearings on the fan are drying out - I wouldn't recommend you trying to do anything yourself as the capacitors inside will pack a hefty charge well after you switch off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

The only moving parts I'm aware of in the power supply are the fans.

 

Is it a double fan model? Looking at them is dust and gunk built up on the blades, have you cleaned them with a good shot of compressed air?

 

CAUTION DO NOT OPEN , Power supply's can hold a charge after the power is turned off, electrical shock or death could occur!

 

That said, :wacko: I have taken the fans out of a power supply and cleaned the blades with a tooth brush and reinstalled or replaced the fan. I'm a miser tho! :)

 

cd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

The entire computer system is only three months old (single 120mm fan in the supply), but I suppose my office could be dustier than I thought (even with hepa cleaner running). I would hope the bearings wouldn't dry out that soon and that maybe dust got into it.

 

I am too chicken-s**t to open a power supply lol! I have though in the past gently blown and tried to use cotton swabs to reach in and clean gunk off of the blades best as I could with any computer I've had. Maybe this could use one too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
I am too chicken-s**t to open a power supply lol! I have though in the past gently blown and tried to use cotton swabs to reach in and clean gunk off of the blades best as I could with any computer I've had. Maybe this could use one too.

 

Having in my time been zapped by a lot of residual charges (and old and wise enough to keep one hand firmly in my pocket prodding round the things) I can well understand that :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
The entire computer system is only three months old

 

Is it not under warranty at three months old?

 

cd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

The psu has a five year warranty.

 

The problem I have is that coolermaster is saying that the (amount of) noise is normal. The psu I'm using right now is actually the second. I replaced the first one that made noise and it was tested and returned to the computer shop I use, with the explanation that it was working up to par and that the amount of noise it makes is normal.

 

Then, as I said, this morning on startup it was even noisier but luckily it died down. I suppose the test will be when I boot up cold tomorrow.

 

The computer shop I use told me that should the noise get excessive and not die down, then there's reason to be concerned and he'll swap it out for me.

 

here's crossing fingers it was a one time racket... :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Is it not under warranty at three months old?

 

cd

 

As cd suggests, it looks like it should still be under warranty, which appears to be a year, at least from this retailer.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
that the amount of noise it makes is normal.

 

That's called BOLOGNA!

 

The computer shop I use told me that should the noise get excessive and not die down, then there's reason to be concerned and he'll swap it out for me.

 

I would encourage him to swap it out (excessive noise), for a Antec. Just to keep you a happy customer. :)

 

cd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

That's called BOLOGNA!

 

 

 

I always thought so too. That's the trouble with a lot of products. The guarantees can be tough to get honoured unless the product dies completely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

as everyone here has said (warning on the open power supplies) but if users here have a elicitation friend or they know someone with a cert in electrical repair

then they can do this

BUT AS SAID WARNING ON THE POWER SUPPLY ONE

(if you do this and get killed , not my fault i did warn you)

Below is a help file on how to do this to almost every fan in a pc

 

 

post-293-1215139833.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I know PS's are pretty expensive, especially for the good ones at 600watts and above, but if it were mine I'd get rid of it for a good Antec !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

In case anyone's interested, I threw my coolermaster in the garbage. Well, actually, the computer shop gave me a credit and will return it to the manufacturer.

I put in a power supply that's more than what I presently need, but I was going for what I hope is reliability, a thermaltake toughpower 600w unit. It's pricey, but it's 80+ certified, has a huge 140mm fan that barely turns even when the system is loaded up with burner going and cpu thinking hard. There are a lot of choices for a good psu out there, I just picked this one and I hope it'll lead to no regrets.

 

And, I appreciate the tutorial on fan 'repair'. I have done this long ago with a video card fan on an old system but not only are psu's dangerous, it was only three months old and I shouldn't have to grease it up. Hence, the junking it. I ask you, would you like to leave the room while the computer is encoding, only to come back and smell smoke? I've never had a psu fully die, and don't want to experience it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Actually I have had a PSU belch smoke out of the fan - along with the smell of burning insulation - q very fast pull on the power lead saved it.

 

Far scarier is when a faulty CD is spun up in a drive - I had that happen on a customer's machine and the idiot sat right in front of it talking to a client and didn't get out of my way. The result was a shattered driver CD (I'd just replaced the graphics) and a toally wrecked optical drive (shards of sharp plastic went everywhere at a high rate of knots)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I'm wondering how you explained that to the customer afterward ... :huh: ... especially the part about how he was the problem ... :blink:

 

Lynn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

*grins*

 

You don't REALLY want to know Lynn (suffice it to say that it wasn't very diplomatic) :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×