7 replies to this topic

#1 jalexa 4

jalexa 4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 02:39 PM

Hi all,

If anyone could help with the following. I have copy and convert version 3 and when I save a dvd movie image to a file/folder on my hard drive it is saved as .gi if I then want to go and convert this file to another format nothing happens.? Is there something I  am not doing right?

Many thanks!!

Johny

#2 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,080 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:05 PM

.GI is Sonic's 'Global Image' disk image format.  The only thing you can convert this to is a disc.

What are you wanting to do?
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

"I did it until . . "

#3 jalexa 4

jalexa 4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:21 AM

QUOTE (Brendon @ Jun 26 2008, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
.GI is Sonic's 'Global Image' disk image format.  The only thing you can convert this to is a disc.

What are you wanting to do?

=======================================================================
Hi Brendon,

Thanks for your email. What I am trying to do is copy non protected dvd's to my hard drive and then convert them to Mp4/3gp format to view on my portable device. The programme allows me to copy an entire dvd disc and then saves it as a .gi file however on the Roxio help centre it states the following;

The Save Image project creates disc image files and saves them on your hard drive. These disc image files can be used to create new copies of your discs whenever you wish using the Burn Image project.

Disc image files can be created in the following formats:

ISO disc image file(*.iso)
Sonic Global-Image File (*.gi)
============================

As you can see there is an asterick *.gi but on my file copy it just shows up as .gi I dont know if this is the problem or not? I dont want to copy a dvd and then burn it surely this programme should allow me to copy to file/hard drive and then convert- that was the whole purpose of purchase. However when I go to the convert programme and try to add one of the 'copied'/saved image file nothing happens it does not allow me to add.
If you could shed some light that would be great. Many thanks!

P.s. I am working with copy & convert 3

#4 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,080 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:34 AM

Jalexa 4,

There are two conversion modes in Disc Copier, as seen from the two buttons you choose from when you start.

CD & DVD Copy: This copies an entire unprotected DVD to another (1) Disc; (2) Disc Image; or (3) DVD Folder [with VOB, BUP and IFO files].
You can't use this mode for converting files.

Video Compilation:
This takes movies from an unprotected DVD, or video files, and converts them into (1) Disc, (2) Disc Image, (3) DVD Folder, or (4) some other available type of Video file.

Video Compilation mode will do nearly what you want. Apart from converting video files to other filetypes, it can take Movies off a DVD and convert them to other filetypes. It will not handle the menu system on your DVD, it will simply grab the movie(s) you indicate and convert it/them into video filetypes you select.

To do this, insert your unprotected DVD and go into Video Compilation mode.
Select 'Add Movies' and then select whichever movies you want to convert from the DVD. In the example I have selected all that are available on this disc, three of them. The menu system is left behind and lost.

c_c_conv1.JPG

Click OK, and the software will start to "cache titles". It will read the selected movies onto the hard drive, so you need plenty of free space. For a 4.3GB DVD you'll probably need about 9 GB free space - half for the cached files, half for the output files.

Once the movies are cached, select an output format other than DVD, and output to File/Folder rather than Disc/Disc image. Be aware that "More" doesn't give you more filetypes, just some advanced options. For a list of Supported Video Formats, go to the Help system and look up 'Supported Video Formats'.

c_c_conv2.JPG

Once you select your filetype and destination, in the "Save As" dialog, conversion will begin. This will take a long time. Even on my fast machine it takes almost as long as the running time of the movies to convert to MP4.

I think this is what you are after. Please come back to me if it isn't.

Regards,
Brendon
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,

"I did it until . . "

#5 jalexa 4

jalexa 4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 03:15 PM

Hi Brendon,

Again thanks for your help. I have understood your email and followed the instructions but what I am coming up against is the following. The non protected dvd disc is successfully copied and stored into a folder of my choice on the hard drive, I then go into 'add movies' section and scroll down to the 'saved' movie to 'add'  but although I can see the movie if I click or double click on it etc it does not move to the left/not added therefore I can not highlight and press the 'ok' button for it to be added and then converted. The same happens when I insert the disc in the video compilation mode and then scroll down to my drive and try to 'add' the disc. I hope you understand what is happening and again if you can shed some light then it is much appreciated. Can I confirm that I have tried this various times all with non protected dvd's and am not able to add these files/disc.

[big quote removed smile.gif ]

Edited by Brendon, 28 June 2008 - 06:32 PM.

#6 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,080 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 07:13 PM

Hi again,

I trimmed the quote off your post - not much point quoting all of me back at me smile.gif

I don't understand what you mean by :
but although I can see the movie if I click or double click on it etc it does not move to the left/not added therefore I can not highlight and press the 'ok' button for it to be added and then converted

In the first of my two screenshots above, I have the DVD as a source. Its volume label is 080524_1306, if you look down the left pane of that window. I just then clicked and held Ctrl, and clicked each of the three 'movies' shown to highlight them. Nothing moved to the left or anywhere. When I click OK the media  caching starts and the Media Selector box disappears.

That's from the plastic disc. I copied the Video_TS folder from there onto my hard drive K: to duplicate your situation. [It isn't necessary to copy everything to the HD first, but it sometimes handy]

c_c_media_sel.JPG

Running Copier in Compilation mode I navigated to hard drive K: and the video folder. and there are the three movies again. Ctrl-A won't select all movies, but holding Ctrl and then clicking each movie highlighted them all, and clicking OK at the end of that started the process going as usual.

This is working fine for me with Copy & Convert 3. You have the same software as me, are you doing things as I described?

Quick check:
Run Disc Copier in Video Compilation mode
Navigate to the folder where you have your DVD copied. Can you see the same movies in the right pane of the window that you saw on the DVD?
Click on a movie.  Does it change color to yellow [highlight] ??
Hold Control down, and click on each of the others. Do they change color too?
- - if so, clicking OK should put you mack at the main window to start caching and converting.
- - If not, what does/doesn't happen?

Regards,
Brendon

"I did it until . . "

#7 jalexa 4

jalexa 4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:28 AM

Hi Brendon,

I have been able to do what I wanted and copied the dvd in compilation mode and then convert the file. What I was doing before was copying the dvd as normal to my hard drive and then tying to convert. This route should be possible but for some reason I was having no luck. Anyway thank you for taking time to help, much appreciated.!

Johny A

Edited by Brendon, 30 June 2008 - 03:47 PM.

#8 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,080 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:48 PM

Hi Johny,

As long as you've finally got to where you needed to go, that's great.

Cheers,
Brendon

"I did it until . . "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users