5 replies to this topic

#1 ozzello

ozzello

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:15 AM

Hey All,

I've tried burning a simple DVD. I used Videowave8 to chop some .avi video into a smaller piece that would fit on a single DVD. I used myDVD to add the project and burn it. I used the 'best' settings with the scan set ot progressive and the audio to Dolby. The burn appears to happen normally, I get the preview during encoding and I get no errors and everything completes fine. When I pull the DVD out I can see from the surface that it's been burned, but when I try to load it into the DVD player is just hangs on 'Loading'. I tried to load it into my laptop and it sees nothing on the disk. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,

Tony

Dell Dimension 4600, 2.8 P4 with HT, 512M Ram, 120HD,500HD, NVidia GeForce 5200, Windows XP Home SP2. All the latest video drivers, XP updates, IE updates, Media Player updates. Both drives are recently defragged.

I forgot to mention that I tried burning the project again with Interlace instead of Progressive and got the same result.

#2 Merv

Merv

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,090 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:44 AM

View Postozzello, on Apr 1 2006, 12:15 PM, said:

Hey All,

I've tried burning a simple DVD. I used Videowave8 to chop some .avi video into a smaller piece that would fit on a single DVD. I used myDVD to add the project and burn it. I used the 'best' settings with the scan set ot progressive and the audio to Dolby. The burn appears to happen normally, I get the preview during encoding and I get no errors and everything completes fine. When I pull the DVD out I can see from the surface that it's been burned, but when I try to load it into the DVD player is just hangs on 'Loading'. I tried to load it into my laptop and it sees nothing on the disk. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,

Tony

Dell Dimension 4600, 2.8 P4 with HT, 512M Ram, 120HD,500HD, NVidia GeForce 5200, Windows XP Home SP2. All the latest video drivers, XP updates, IE updates, Media Player updates. Both drives are recently defragged.

I forgot to mention that I tried burning the project again with Interlace instead of Progressive and got the same result.

Does the DVD play in the drive you used to burn it?  If it does, then there is nothing wrong with the burn.  I would suggest trying a different type and/or brand of DVD.  That is, the opposite of type that you burned the first DVD (-/+R).  Also, most of us have found that saving to an image file (iso extension) first and then burning that file to disc using Disc Copier increases the compatibility with different players.  Finally, try burning at a lower speed, sometimes that helps.

Hope some of that helps.
Merv

Primary System
Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P F4 Motherboard, AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor, Sapphire Radeon HD5670 512MB GDDR5 Video Card, 4GB RAM, WD Black 500 GB SATA HD, WD Black 750 GB SATA HD, Realtek High Definition Audio, Lite-On iHAS324 Lightscribe SATA CD/DVD Burner, Lite-On iHAS424 SATA CD/DVD Burner, Windows 7 Home 32 bit

Backup System
Sony Vaio PCV-RS430G, Intel P4 2.8 GHz, 1 gig RAM, Windows XP Home SP2, ATI Radeon 9600 XT 256 MB, SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio, 120 gig internal HD/300 gig internal HD, Lite-On SHM-165H6S Burner, NEC AD-7170A Burner

#3 ozzello

ozzello

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 11:35 AM

The DVD does not read in the drive that created it. One thing interesting I found is that when I look at the drive in the Explorer window, when it doesn't have the disc in it it shows as E:DVD but when I insert the disc, it spins for a bit and then the drive type shows as E:CD and if I try to open it I get 'Drive not Accessible'. I'm trying to burn to a .iso file right now but I'm not very optimistic since I cannot read the disc on the drive that created it. I'm using HP dvd+r 8x single layer media. The drive is a Toshiba STR5372 internal 16X DVD RW.

Using the same drive and media I've burned several disks using EMC7 without issues.

#4 ozzello

ozzello

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 01:48 PM

After following the suggestions and burning to a .iso file first, I was able to copy the .iso file to the DVD and make it work. I had to try twice to make it happen, the first time I got a disk error, but the second copy worked. What a pain! I hope I don't have to try twice for every successful burn in the future.

#5 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,487 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 02:34 PM

View Postozzello, on Apr 2 2006, 04:48 PM, said:

After following the suggestions and burning to a .iso file first, I was able to copy the .iso file to the DVD and make it work. I had to try twice to make it happen, the first time I got a disk error, but the second copy worked. What a pain! I hope I don't have to try twice for every successful burn in the future.

If you had a problem burning the ISO to a DVD, then it is undoubtedly the DVD media that is the problem.  Run DVD InfoPro, which is part of the EMC suite, to see who manufactured the media.  My bet is you will see it is CMC MAG, which is the bottom feeder of all media.
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#6 Merv

Merv

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,090 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 04:18 PM

View Postozzello, on Apr 2 2006, 05:48 PM, said:

I am glad the image file process eventually worked for you.  Bruce is most likely correct.  These type of problems are usually caused by poor quality media.  Follow his instuctions on checking the media manufacturer and then try a different brand.  Here is a site that rates different manufacture's media quality.

http://www.digitalfa...ia/dvdmedia.htm
Merv

Primary System
Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P F4 Motherboard, AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor, Sapphire Radeon HD5670 512MB GDDR5 Video Card, 4GB RAM, WD Black 500 GB SATA HD, WD Black 750 GB SATA HD, Realtek High Definition Audio, Lite-On iHAS324 Lightscribe SATA CD/DVD Burner, Lite-On iHAS424 SATA CD/DVD Burner, Windows 7 Home 32 bit

Backup System
Sony Vaio PCV-RS430G, Intel P4 2.8 GHz, 1 gig RAM, Windows XP Home SP2, ATI Radeon 9600 XT 256 MB, SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio, 120 gig internal HD/300 gig internal HD, Lite-On SHM-165H6S Burner, NEC AD-7170A Burner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users