Sleuth77

Dvd Burner Problems

Question

I am using PhotoShow 5 which I purchased and downloaded from Roxio, as I also own Easy Media Creator 10 Suite. When I try to burn a DVD in PhotoShow 5 it comes up "Waiting for blank media." Then I get a message to "Please put in a blank CD or DVD into your burner and click the OK button once the tray is closed." The blank media is a HP LightScribe DVD-R and the burner is an Asus DRW-2014L1. My OS is XP Sp3 and my CPU is a Dell Dimensions 8300 with 1 GB of RAM. This seems to be the only program that doesn't recognize the blank media.

Does anyone have a solution or idea?

Thanks

14 answers to this question

I am using PhotoShow 5 which I purchased and downloaded from Roxio, as I also own Easy Media Creator 10 Suite. When I try to burn a DVD in PhotoShow 5 it comes up "Waiting for blank media." Then I get a message to "Please put in a blank CD or DVD into your burner and click the OK button once the tray is closed." The blank media is a HP LightScribe DVD-R and the burner is an Asus DRW-2014L1. My OS is XP Sp3 and my CPU is a Dell Dimensions 8300 with 1 GB of RAM. This seems to be the only program that doesn't recognize the blank media.

Does anyone have a solution or idea?

Thanks

I have heard a few people talk about this.

There are a few reports of customers with the light scribe discs who made the label first and then tried to burn the disc. This generated errors. You will have to burn the content first, then the label.

Another reason may be that another program has interfered with some common files. Please try to reinstall PhotoShow and try to burn the DVD again. Also, please test the drive by burning a DVD with another program. These tests will help narrow the variables or may resolve the problem.

Here is what is so odd about my burner problem. PhotoShow 5 will not burn or recognize a blank DVD that is a HP DVD-R even though the LightScribe side has not been burned first. PhotoShow 5 will burn a DVD that is a Maxell DVD-RW without any problem.

I also have another burner which is a Sony DVD RW DRU-820A and it will burn the HP DVD-R. The Asus DRW-2014L1 seems to work fine burning the HP discs in Easy Media Creator 10 Suite.

Is this an Asus problem or Photo Show 5 problem?

Thanks

Edited by Sleuth77

Here is what is so odd about my burner problem. PhotoShow 5 will not burn or recognize a blank DVD that is a HP DVD-R even though the LightScribe side has not been burned first. PhotoShow 5 will burn a DVD that is a Maxell DVD-RW without any problem.

I also have another burner which is a Sony DVD RW DRU-820A and it will burn the HP DVD-R. The Asus DRW-2014L1 seems to work fine burning the HP discs in Easy Media Creator 10 Suite.

Is this an Asus problem or Photo Show 5 problem?

Thanks

That is interesting. the latest build of PhotoShow 5 (build 2046 as of 7/10/08) uses the Roxio engine and should run as well or at least similarly to Easy Media Creator. One product test did reveal some differences in blank media. In our testing, blank DVD discs from Maxell™, Sony™, TDK™ and Panasonic™ seemed to perform best. Blank DVD discs from Fuji™ and Verbatim™ performed satisfactorily. Blank DVD discs from Memorex™ and GQ™ did not perform very well. However we cannot insist you use one brand.

There could be an unforeseen problem in the configuration of your OS and your drive. I would like to hear if anyone else sees this and if they have a similar solution.

That is interesting. the latest build of PhotoShow 5 (build 2046 as of 7/10/08) uses the Roxio engine and should run as well or at least similarly to Easy Media Creator. One product test did reveal some differences in blank media. In our testing, blank DVD discs from Maxell™, Sony™, TDK™ and Panasonic™ seemed to perform best. Blank DVD discs from Fuji™ and Verbatim™ performed satisfactorily. Blank DVD discs from Memorex™ and GQ™ did not perform very well. However we cannot insist you use one brand.

There could be an unforeseen problem in the configuration of your OS and your drive. I would like to hear if anyone else sees this and if they have a similar solution.

My version of PhotoShow 5 is Ver. 5.0.4 and the Build is 3020. Do I have the latest version and if not how can I get it?

Thanks

My version of PhotoShow 5 is Ver. 5.0.4 and the Build is 3020. Do I have the latest version and if not how can I get it?

Thanks

oh my bad...

I stand corrected. As of today the latest build is 3020. This and any build afterward will have the Roxio engine.

P.S. the build numbers will increase as time goes on.

Your testing, never mentioned a burner model or firmware version? The brand name media means nothing without the media ID (MID), who actually was the maker of the media when you conducted your tests. I have never seen GQ media in my area. The Sony, TDK, Fuji, and Memorex I see, the Brand Name Disc's change makers often!

I only use Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim, at least they make the media. Even they can produce a bad batch. I've had a junk spindle of Verbatim DVD-R 8X ( MID MCC 02RG20 ) and Verbatim DVD+R DL 8X (MID MKM-001). Verbatim warranty in the US is excellent on replacement of there media! In three days I had a new spindle and a prepaid shipping return label to send the junk media back to the Verbatim Lab.

cd

oh my bad...

I stand corrected. As of today the latest build is 3020. This and any build afterward will have the Roxio engine.

So are you saying build 2046 doesn't have the Roxio engine? That is the one I have.

oh my bad...

It is interesting to note that in your media tests that Memorex discs did not perform well. I could not get HP LightScribe discs to work at all in PhotoShow 5. I tried Memorex DVD+R discs with the same program and they work very well.

Memorex (and HP as well) do NOT manufacture discs - they outsource them so it's pure luck whether you get a good quality batch or a bunch of shiny plastic.

Just as a fyi - there used to be a CD manufacturing plant close to where I live and my sons had friends working there so I was able to get cakes at factory gate prices - they came with all sorts of labels, including HP, Packard Bell and even Memorex

So are you saying build 2046 doesn't have the Roxio engine? That is the one I have.

When did you download your Photoshow 5 Patty ? I checked what ver. I have and I have the same one that sleuth has (5.0.4/3020). So you might want to check for the latest or download again.

Frank...

Memorex (and HP as well) do NOT manufacture discs - they outsource them so it's pure luck whether you get a good quality batch or a bunch of shiny plastic.

Just as a fyi - there used to be a CD manufacturing plant close to where I live and my sons had friends working there so I was able to get cakes at factory gate prices - they came with all sorts of labels, including HP, Packard Bell and even Memorex

wow, I'm really surprised to hear this about the CDs.

Patty your 2046 has the Roxio engine. Any number build higher than this will have the same engine. One great little trick is to download the software again. Save the installation file to your desktop (or anywhere you can find it easily) then right click it and choose Properties. there is a version tab that displays the version and build number.

I just checked it today and it says:

5.0.4.3020 this means version 5.0.4 build 3020

This is a super nerdy answer. I personally don't come in every day and check the version numbers on my favorite programs, but now you can.

wow, I'm really surprised to hear this about the CDs.

Patty your 2046 has the Roxio engine. Any number build higher than this will have the same engine. One great little trick is to download the software again. Save the installation file to your desktop (or anywhere you can find it easily) then right click it and choose Properties. there is a version tab that displays the version and build number.

I just checked it today and it says:

5.0.4.3020 this means version 5.0.4 build 3020

This is a super nerdy answer. I personally don't come in every day and check the version numbers on my favorite programs, but now you can.

Good thought David, I will try that. :rolleyes:

Have you done any testing on Magnavox DVD's? I had not heard of them before seeing a special deal from OfficeMax.

Thanks

Magnavox is a Philips brand, videohelp.com lists CMC MAG and MKM, click here....

cd