Sign in to follow this  
francesp

Photoshow To Home Dvd--activation Code Invalid

Question

I am trying to burn a photoshow to dvd. Which I have done before on the computer I am using. When I try to burn it comes up saying activation code already in use. What should I do to resolve this issue.

16 answers to this question

I am trying to burn a photoshow to dvd. Which I have done before on the computer I am using. When I try to burn it comes up saying activation code already in use. What should I do to resolve this issue.

I am almost positive you have Windows Vista.

As of the date of this posting (7/8/08) Vista has made some changes to its User Account Controls (UAC for short). This system could block PhotoShow from properly saving the main key or any of the theme pack keys. This problem usually pops up when trying to burn a DVD. You should not need to enter your key every time you burn a DVD.

Turn account controls off:

1) Click on the 'Start' button in the lower left hand corner of Windows

2) Choose 'Control Panel'

3) Select 'User Accounts and Family Settings'

4) Select 'User Accounts'

5) Select 'Turn User Account Control On or Off'

6) Turn this off

Then go to the following location on your computer:

C:\ProgramData\Simple Star\Core Libraries\

(please note that this is a hidden folder. To show hidden files, just click on the Organize button in any folder, and then select “Folder and Search Options” from the menu. Now click the View tab, and then you should select “Show hidden files and folders” in the list. Press 'OK' to save your settings)

Then delete the file called:

modules.dat

Then try to enter your key.

If you wish, you can now turn account controls back on.

You should not have to continuously reenter your key.

Note: some users may not be able to find the Modules.dat file. Thats okay. Just turn account controls off and try to enter the key.

Finally, if this doesn't solve the problem and you continue to have trouble you will need to contact support for help with your key or to make more specific adjustments. The PhotoShow engineers are working on an update for this and this may not be an issue in the near future.

P.S. It is best to think of Vista as a moving target or a work in progress rather than a concrete and stable operating system. That may just be my opinion but it keeps me sane;)

Hi...

I am having a problem burning my photoshow onto a DVD. I keep getting the "activation code you entered is not valid" I am working off of Vista and I have tried the suggestion you made on the other post and still getting the error message. I have a family event in 2 days and this slideshow is a big part of it. Please help me to get my photoshow to burn onto a DVD.

Thank you.

Sam

Hi...

I am having the same issue with trying to burn my photoshow onto a DVD. I keep getting the "activation code you entered is not valid" I am working off of Vista and I have tried the suggestion you made and still getting the error message. I have a family event in 2 days and this slideshow is a big part of it. Please help me to get my photoshow to burn onto a DVD.

Thank you.

Sam

If you have been prompted to enter your key repeatedly and are still having trouble after this fix, contact support.

I am in the same situation in that I need this DVD burned for a Family Reunion this weekend. I have already done everything that Roxio has suggested but to no avail. And this includes contacting customer support, but my existing help ticket has yet to be answered. If this is a Windows Vista problem, then why is it that I had no issue burning a Photoshow to a DVD prior to Roxio taking over Photoshow? Makes no sense to me. I purchased this software for the purpose of being able to watch/see my photoshows on the TV. I was told I would be able to and that at the time of the purchase I was also supposed to get the Home DVD add-on, which obviously did not occur since it will pop up as an icon on my desktop when I try to burn a DVD. I don't believe I should have to pay the $14.99 they are asking. I never had support issues with SimpleStar, oh wait, I never had issues with the software, thus never needed their support. C'mon Roxio I need some quick answers here! If the lack of support continues, I will simply purchase another software package, so what's it going to be?

I am in the same situation in that I need this DVD burned for a Family Reunion this weekend. I have already done everything that Roxio has suggested but to no avail. And this includes contacting customer support, but my existing help ticket has yet to be answered. If this is a Windows Vista problem, then why is it that I had no issue burning a Photoshow to a DVD prior to Roxio taking over Photoshow? Makes no sense to me. I purchased this software for the purpose of being able to watch/see my photoshows on the TV. I was told I would be able to and that at the time of the purchase I was also supposed to get the Home DVD add-on, which obviously did not occur since it will pop up as an icon on my desktop when I try to burn a DVD. I don't believe I should have to pay the $14.99 they are asking. I never had support issues with SimpleStar, oh wait, I never had issues with the software, thus never needed their support. C'mon Roxio I need some quick answers here! If the lack of support continues, I will simply purchase another software package, so what's it going to be?

I don't have any information on your support ticket and it is best to not disclose personal information here. However, it sounds like your key will have to be reset by support.

This is mainly a Vista issue and has nothing to do with the Roxio engine in PhotoShow.

Hi...

I am having a problem burning my photoshow onto a DVD. I keep getting the "activation code you entered is not valid" I am working off of Vista and I have tried the suggestion you made on the other post and still getting the error message. I have a family event in 2 days and this slideshow is a big part of it. Please help me to get my photoshow to burn onto a DVD.

Thank you.

Sam

I am getting the same message when I try to make a DVD now, and I tried the "fix" offered on here, to no avail. I am using Windows Vista Home Premium. My error message says my activation code is already in use. Yeah, I used it about 45 minutes before it asked for it again. This occurred as I was making the third DVD in a row. Two were made successfully, but the third time, it errored out. I just bought the danged program through Digital River on July 16. I reported all of this to customer service but received only an autoreply and no real help. This seems to be a common problem, judging from this forum. -- Jim Reed :unsure:

I am having the same problem. When I try to make a photoshow DVD it wants the activation

number entered, then after I enter it reads number already in use.

I followed the instructions about user controls in MS Vista but still nothing.

I looked for the hidden files, found them but not the modules.dat that I'm suppose

to delete. I need a solution NOW!! I'm planning my daughter's wedding and want

to make a DVD of the couple to show at the reception.

Hi David...

I do not have Vista and had the same problem. I got online (Chat) with a Roxio Tech and he said you only have 4 activations with Phowshow 5. Only on the Computer you have it to begin with. I had never even knew that. He then activated it for me and I have 3 more left if I uninstall then I have to put the number in again. Providing there is no problem with that.

I also told him that I bought this program and it is mine and it is not right that they do this.. You buy the software and they still do what they want. Not cool IMHO.

Anyway I just thought I would lend this helpful thought. ;)

Roxio support takes to long to get back to you and that is why I got online with one of them. He BTW=was very helpful! I have a ticket in now to find out how to download my Photoshow from Photoshow.com It has been 4 days... Some things never change.

Thanks for listening..

Carol

As of the date of this posting (7/8/08) Vista has made some changes to its User Account Controls (UAC for short). This system could block PhotoShow from properly saving the main key or any of the theme pack keys. This problem usually pops up when trying to burn a DVD. You should not need to enter your key every time you burn a DVD.

6) Turn this off

(please note that this is a hidden folder. To show hidden files, just click on the Organize button in any folder, and then select “Folder and Search Options” from the menu. Now click the View tab, and then you should select “Show hidden files and folders” in the list. Press 'OK' to save your settings)

modules.dat

Note: some users may not be able to find the Modules.dat file. Thats okay. Just turn account controls off and try to enter the key.

Finally, if this doesn't solve the problem and you continue to have trouble you will need to contact support for help with your key or to make more specific adjustments. The PhotoShow engineers are working on an update for this and this may not be an issue in the near future.

P.S. It is best to think of Vista as a moving target or a work in progress rather than a concrete and stable operating system. That may just be my opinion but it keeps me sane;)

l

Hi David...

I do not have Vista and had the same problem. I got online (Chat) with a Roxio Tech and he said you only have 4 activations with Phowshow 5. Only on the Computer you have it to begin with. I had never even knew that. He then activated it for me and I have 3 more left if I uninstall then I have to put the number in again. Providing there is no problem with that.

I also told him that I bought this program and it is mine and it is not right that they do this.. You buy the software and they still do what they want. Not cool IMHO.

Anyway I just thought I would lend this helpful thought. ;)

Roxio support takes to long to get back to you and that is why I got online with one of them. He BTW=was very helpful! I have a ticket in now to find out how to download my Photoshow from Photoshow.com It has been 4 days... Some things never change.

Thanks for listening..

Carol

Real Pain in the butt.

Since I laready paid over $60 for the software, photoshow, or Roxio should enable us access to the $14.99 DVD's

on the photoshow website for FREE>> Maybe if I contact the Better Business Bureau help would get to us alot quicker!

I bought the software so I could make my own DVD photoshows and I'm not getting what I paid for.

6) Turn this off

modules.dat

Okay, I am new to this forum but not to PhotoShow. I have used this product for years now and I must tell you that this is the first time it has given me problems. It has only been since Roxio took the product under its umbrella.

The problem is not with the OS or anything on the User side, in my opinion. The problem is with the software and the activation server. The license can be re-entered using the procedure you named but it is not the license number that is causing grief - it is the "activation" of the product.

It is very unsettling because I was using the product to make DVDs until yesterday. Same PhotoShow, same software. Suddenly, the software started a screen stating "Activating this Product" though it had already been activated a week earlier. In desperation, I tried entering the License number again but the activation server rejected it as "already in use".

Why would the software request activation when already activated? Why would the activation server reject activation? When the license number was entered again, the activation server said it was already in use. Why?

I have Windows Vista Home Premium. I tried your steps unsuccessfully. I have a ticket into Roxio [which appears to have login problems as well]. As stated, I believe this problem is due to a communication problem between the software and the activation server. It is my position that all Microsoft like procedures to prevent piracy is costing the consumer more money than it cost in losses to the company involved - including Roxio. I do not like it, never did and feel that all of us are being treated like criminals for the sake of a few.

Now that I have vented, I would like to know when Roxio is planning to look at this as their problem and give us back control of the software we purchased for use? It is obvious that something needs to be done quickly. I never had this problem with Simple Star. It is a superior product [PhotoShow] so please do not take offense because so many individuals desire to have it run flawlessly the first time, every time. Thanks for reading and [hopefully] looking into this problem as something caused by Roxio and not by Microsoft.

Edited by PhotoGene47

Okay, I am new to this forum but not to PhotoShow. I have used this product for years now and I must tell you that this is the first time it has given me problems. It has only been since Roxio took the product under its umbrella.

The problem is not with the OS or anything on the User side, in my opinion. The problem is with the software and the activation server. The license can be re-entered using the procedure you named but it is not the license number that is causing grief - it is the "activation" of the product.

It is very unsettling because I was using the product to make DVDs until yesterday. Same PhotoShow, same software. Suddenly, the software started a screen stating "Activating this Product" though it had already been activated a week earlier. In desperation, I tried entering the License number again but the activation server rejected it as "already in use".

Why would the software request activation when already activated? Why would the activation server reject activation? When the license number was entered again, the activation server said it was already in use. Why?

I have Windows Vista Home Premium. I tried your steps unsuccessfully. I have a ticket into Roxio [which appears to have login problems as well]. As stated, I believe this problem is due to a communication problem between the software and the activation server. It is my position that all Microsoft like procedures to prevent piracy is costing the consumer more money than it cost in losses to the company involved - including Roxio. I do not like it, never did and feel that all of us are being treated like criminals for the sake of a few.

Now that I have vented, I would like to know when Roxio is planning to look at this as their problem and give us back control of the software we purchased for use? It is obvious that something needs to be done quickly. I never had this problem with Simple Star. It is a superior product [PhotoShow] so please do not take offense because so many individuals desire to have it run flawlessly the first time, every time. Thanks for reading and [hopefully] looking into this problem as something caused by Roxio and not by Microsoft.

I agree the problem is with roxio. I too have been using photoshow5, simple star and had no problems.

I too tried to resolve by using the "ticket" number online help but then

the site replies no such ticket!

Finally, i used live support chat and a tech gave me three more activations.. Then it worked fine.

But what the heck is that 3 activations.. I bought the software, it's mine to use how many times I want.

Why should I have to go to tech chat each time I use my 3 activations?

I also have MS Vista and followed the directions but that didn't work either.

The on;y way seems to be live chat (with roxio tech) who then asks for your email

address and gives you 3 activations..

I understand that there are a few Vista users that are having trouble with their keys.

I have to stress that this is not an error with PhotoShow. This is specific to Windows Vista Home Premium users that have account controls on.

I know because I personally found the cause and solution.

Here is the technical explanation:

This is a problem with the user account controls in Vista home premium. It does not allow PhotoShow to save the activation key properly or it deletes the key after the DVD is burned. You are asked to enter the key every time you burn a DVD. This decreases your activations but does not keep your key saved to your computer.

If you have already entered your key 3 times (or burned 3 DVDs) you must contact support to reactivate your key. You must turn account controls off and reenter you activated key.

Here is a Knowledge Base article.

We have developed an automatic update that will solve this problem. It will be released in the near future.

I understand that there are a few Vista users that are having trouble with their keys.

I have to stress that this is not an error with PhotoShow. This is specific to Windows Vista Home Premium users that have account controls on.

This is a problem with the user account controls in Vista home premium. It does not allow PhotoShow to save the activation key properly or it deletes the key after the DVD is burned. You are asked to enter the key every time you burn a DVD. This decreases your activations but does not keep your key saved to your computer.

If you have already entered your key 3 times (or burned 3 DVDs) you must contact support to reactivate your key. You must turn account controls off and reenter you activated key.

We have developed an automatic update that will solve this problem. It will be released in the near future.

As stated, I "followed" your instructions to the letter. Result: NO change. I read somewhere here that it also occurred with an XP user. Vista is here to stay so you need to make YOUR software compatible with it. Still, regardless of the rhetoric here, this is a Roxio problem.

As stated, I "followed" your instructions to the letter. Result: NO change. I read somewhere here that it also occurred with an XP user. Vista is here to stay so you need to make YOUR software compatible with it. Still, regardless of the rhetoric here, this is a Roxio problem.

I am using XP and have never in the year I had photoshow have been able to activate my key number. No one has helped me with the problem either.

I went around a different way, I exported the photoshow to a folder in my documents then burned from there.

How does one get an activation key anyway?

Yvette

I am using XP and have never in the year I had photoshow have been able to activate my key number. No one has helped me with the problem either.

I went around a different way, I exported the photoshow to a folder in my documents then burned from there.

How does one get an activation key anyway?

Yvette

I believe it is the license number you were emailed when you bought the program. I personally do not like the system. Why should the system continually request an activation whenever you burn a DVD? Anti-piracy has swung too far the other way and we legitimate users are the ones caught paying without a product to use.

is this automatic update finished yet?