47 replies to this topic

#41 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,081 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:28 AM

1. Roxio does not set a DVD+R/RW/DL to DVD-ROM, got it?

2. Type in what device manager lists the drive as "HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH10L" OEM HP Drive correct?

3. Some drives have instruction in the firmware to burn +R as a DVD-ROM, I already explained that about Pioneer drives! I don't know about all drives because I don't have one of every drive. You have to do your own testing to see. I would believe what I do more than listening to HP tech support.

cd
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#42 Michael_C

Michael_C

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE (cdanteek @ Aug 13 2008, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. Roxio does not set a DVD+R/RW/DL to DVD-ROM, got it?

2. Type in what device manager lists the drive as "HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH10L" OEM HP Drive correct?

3. Some drives have instruction in the firmware to burn +R as a DVD-ROM, I already explained that about Pioneer drives! I don't know about all drives because I don't have one of every drive. You have to do your own testing to see. I would believe what I do more than listening to HP tech support.

cd

I'm not disputing what you had written in posts #15, #17 - I observe that the Booktype changes - I have no way of knowing if Roxio "Convert and Copy" sends any info explicitly setting the Booktype, or if the DVD drive does this as a result of burning process and it's internal rules.  After seeing the Booktype was left unchanged on the disc created on the NEC drive I felt what you had said was most likely true.  But, the fact that the burning was performed using different versions of "Copy and Convert" leaves the possiblity that it is the application (Copy and Convert) that is controlling the Booktype change.

However, when I responded to Jim_hardin's comment, I wasn't getting into that question - I was just responding to his comment about my misunderstanding the tech - quite simply, the choices are either the tech was correct, he wasn't, or I misunderstood.  Knowing all the details of the conversation, I know there is more chance he was either wrong or correct - and not a case of mis-understanding.

In addition to posting on the forum, I have been communicating with Roxio support.  I was hoping to "nail down" whether anything changed in version 10.1 Copy & Convert - unfortunately, their response doesn't dispute the LG tech's comment, instead it talks about disc finalization, which causes the disk to be read as a DVD-Rom.

Here is the question I posed:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also talked with LG - the manufacturer of the DVD burner - the support person said the burner doesn't change the Booktype - Roxio's software does. I don't know if this is true? if so, is there a way to disable??

Their response:
After the DVD is burned it will be finalized so no further burning is possible, this will cause it to be read as a DVD-ROM. This is required for compatibility with set top DVD players. Please see this article.
http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/EE7...2?set-locale=en

#43 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,081 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:20 PM

After the DVD is burned it will be finalized so no further burning is possible, this will cause it to be read as a DVD-ROM. This is required for compatibility with set top DVD players. Please see this article.
http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/EE7...2?set-locale=en

Michael_C

Did you add the bolded above or did a Roxio tech tell you that?

Roxio 'Their response: http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/EE7...-locale=en' has nothing to do with booktype! All DVD Video applications should close a disc so no further writing can be done. Your confused and or mixing apples and oranges.
Below is a disc info tool to check and see if a disc had booktype bitsetting changed, do you see it? You can download it from my signature and check your disc's before and after a burn.

BENQ____DVD_DD_DW1640_BSRB_13_August_2008_15_09.png

cd
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#44 ggrussell

ggrussell

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,940 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE (Michael_C @ Aug 13 2008, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
instead it talks about disc finalization, which causes the disk to be read as a DVD-Rom.
I believe this statement is a bit confusing as finalization does NOT set the Booktype.  You can finalize a DVD+R without the booktype being set to 'DVD ROM'.

I only have experience with my own drives. Burning software does not change the booktype, but rather it is something that is internal to my drive.  I had to run special software to 'turn it on.'  Once set in the drive, it will ALWAYS set the booktype to DVD ROM regardless of what software I use to burn a video DVD.

Edited by ggrussell, 13 August 2008 - 12:58 PM.

Intel i7 4770k, 16GB 2400, LG 47" 3D TV, Two Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD, Hitachi 1TB HD, WD 3TB external USB3, LiteOn iHBS112 Bluray, LG WH14NS40 Bluray, ATI HD7870, Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z5500 THX certified 5.1 speakers, Epson 4490 scanner, Canon 9000Pro MarkII printer, Canon MF8380CDW, Sony TRV740 8mm digital, Canon HV20 HDV camcorder and Sony SLTA65VK for still photos, Win8 Pro 64bit
---------
System 2: HP DV7-3079wm, AMD Turion M60 2.4Ghz, $GB RAM, Patriot Pyro 128GB SSD, WD 320GB, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, Win8 Pro 64bit.

Gary Russell
TNUSA

#45 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,245 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:43 PM

This snip is interesting, Michael, especially the middle paragraph.  It's from the ImgBurn instructions.

Auto 'Change Book Type'

Certain older DVD players, including DVD players in some laptop computers, will not load DVD-R or DVD+R disks at all because those formats did not even exist when the player's firmware was written. However, by changing the bit setting on a DVD+R to DVD-ROM, those players should be able to load and play the DVD+R.

Samsung (using the identifier 'TSSTcorp') and LG (using the identifier 'HL-DT-ST') drive owners will automatically have all their +R /+RW /+R DL media changed to look like a DVD-ROM disc via bit setting. (Note: +RW bit setting isn't supported by the LG drives though).

The book type commands are sent to the drive before each and every burn the program makes. Obviously just for 'Plus' format media - i.e. DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL. Either the program tells the drive to change the book type to DVD-ROM or it doesn't and the drive will do whatever it had already been told to do by other programs (or by ImgBurn's 'Change Book Type' screen).

The default setting is 'Enabled'.

I can't find anything to suggest that this level of Sonic/Roxio software tells drives to set the book type bits on 'plus' discs. I don't think it does.

Regards,
Brendon

[are we having fun yet?  smile.gif ]
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

As a very wise man told me, "You do it until . . . . ."

#46 Michael_C

Michael_C

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (cdanteek @ Aug 13 2008, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Michael_C

Did you add the bolded above or did a Roxio tech tell you that?

Roxio 'Their response: http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/EE7...-locale=en' has nothing to do with booktype! All DVD Video applications should close a disc so no further writing can be done. Your confused and or mixing apples and oranges.
Below is a disc info tool to check and see if a disc had booktype bitsetting changed, do you see it? You can download it from my signature and check your disc's before and after a burn.

BENQ____DVD_DD_DW1640_BSRB_13_August_2008_15_09.png

cd

This was in an email sent to me - I copied and pasted the section into the posting.   I'm not going to defend the content of their response, but assumed the link was given because of the following:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
The intent of our application is to ensure projects created fully comply with the VCD /
SVCD / DVD industry standards.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I saw no other relevence to the question I posted to them.
I used Nero Disc Speed to check the BookType (See  Post #14)
I'm not sure it's worth pursuing this any longer, since the last TDK DVD+R burned without problem - and, the disk played fine even though the Booktype was changed (sse post # 36)

I included the info in post 36 as a way of giving feedback on a status change (after updating firmware, and PxEngine), and including the discussion with LG support - since the info from LG Support didn't agree with other info.  I've seen a number of comments in the forum talking about people don't update a thread when they have success, or give up.  That was primarily what post 36 was about.

You say I can check the booktype before and after burn - The question wasn't "did the Booktype change", it was "what piece of code changed it", and could I disable it.  You have said the drive changes the Booktype, LG tech said it's Roxio, and Roxio wrote the comment included in post 42.  I'm not confused - it either is done by the hardware, or elsewhere.  I'm certain it's feasible to do it in either place - whether the functionality is accessed via an API call, or exposed functionality in a dll/com it could be done at the app level.  
I have no idea whether you are running the same EMC version as I am (10.1.226), nor whether you are running on the same OS (Vista home premium 64 bit) - but there is room for differences in our setups beyond the LG drive.
I can believe it's as you have said, but the communications with LG and Roxio are less than conclusive - possibly talking/writing to another set of people would give different answers.
I appreciate the information, but question the reason for the "tone/attitude" in some of the emails.

Regards,
Michael

#47 Michael_C

Michael_C

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (Brendon @ Aug 13 2008, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This snip is interesting, Michael, especially the middle paragraph.  It's from the ImgBurn instructions.

I can't find anything to suggest that this level of Sonic/Roxio software tells drives to set the book type bits on 'plus' discs. I don't think it does.

Regards,
Brendon

[are we having fun yet?  smile.gif ]

Brendon,
Thanks for pointing me to the IMGBurn "Write Settings".
And, ... to answer your question, Oh boy, such fun! smile.gif
Thanks again,
Michael

#48 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,245 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:39 PM

Thanks Michael,

It's a poor day when we don't learn anything, and I've sure had a couple of good days!!  laugh.gif

Regards,
Brendon
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

As a very wise man told me, "You do it until . . . . ."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users