Roxio Community

106 Character File Name Limit? Will 212 Work?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ddg613

ddg613

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 01:32 PM

I am using Roxio Creator 9 / DE and have a folder structure that is ~12GB that I am trying to span across multiple DVD's.  Many of the files have very long file names, which I can't change.

I have set the option to span across multiple discs.

In options-->Data-->CD Recording Options, I have set the file system as "ISO Level 2 (212 character file names)", but before the software starts burning to the DVD's, it comes back saying that there is a list of files that it can't write because they are over 106 characters each  sad.gif

(I've tried this 2 or 3 times with the same result, which is pretty time consuming since each step takes forever when working with so much data.)

Will the 212 character limit work with this version of the software on a DVD?  Is there another version of Roxio or another product that will work?  Any suggestions?

--dg

#2 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,428 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 01:36 PM

Most, who frequent these forums, don't know much about the stripped down OEM version of the software, that comes with a Dell computer.

Spanning discs can cause problems in the future.  You are better off getting an external hard drive, and back up that 12GB file to it.

I know that that doesn't answer your question, but is offered as a much better solution to spanning discs.
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#3 ddg613

ddg613

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 02:09 PM

Thanks, that makes sense about the spanning.  

With the software I'm using, I will have situations where my folder structure can fit on one disc, but has file names over 106 characters, so I'm hoping someone on this forum may have some insight into whether that's possible with the Dell OEM version of this software.

--dg

#4 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,865 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 03:52 AM

QUOTE (ddg613 @ Aug 28 2008, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks, that makes sense about the spanning.  

With the software I'm using, I will have situations where my folder structure can fit on one disc, but has file names over 106 characters, so I'm hoping someone on this forum may have some insight into whether that's possible with the Dell OEM version of this software.

--dg

If your Version has Creator Classic, it is a simple matter to set the Project Properties to UDF, No Bridge and all of these restrictions disappear…

As GPB said, Spanning is a really, really bad idea unless data lose is your goal???

Did you try the built in XP Burning?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users