Majeskty

Avchd Files

Question

Can anyone tell me if Creator 2009 will allow output in full 1920x1080 format. I have a new Sony handycam using AVCHD and it records in th 1920x1080i resolution. I have found many software's out there will support AVCHD but in 1440x1080 and not the fulll HD format. If possible can you post a jpeg of the setting.

38 answers to this question

Here are the settings for the preset templates:

AVC better Quality = 800x450@1.95Mbps

AVC good quality = 640x260@1Mbps

AVC smaller size = 480x270@1Mbps

AVCHD 1080i = 1920X1080@4.88Mbps 24fps

AVCHD 720p = 1280x720@4.88Mbps 24fps

Bluray AVC EP = 1280x720@6.84Mbps 24fps

Bluray AVC HQ = 1280x720@14.65Mbps 24fps

Bluray AVC LP (NTSC) = 1440x1080@9.77Mbps, interlaced

Bluray AVC SP (NTSC) = 1920X1080@11.72Mbps, interlaced

Bluray EP = 1280x720@15Mbps 24fps

Bluray HQ = 1920x1080@30Mbps 24fps

Bluray LP (NTSC) = 1440X1080@20Mbps, interlaced

Bluray SP (NTSC) = 1920X1080@25Mbps, interlaced

I can only assume those not labelled interlaced are rendered as progressive. Those last four might be HDV Bluray format. Don't expect the AVCHD to be smart rendered. As far as I know, the only software that can 'edit' AVCHD without re-encoding is Pixela (sp?) that comes with some Sony AVCHD camcorders.

post-49-1220328390.jpg

Edited by ggrussell

Thanks for your information on the ablities of Creator 2009. At least if you have a 1920x1080 AVCHD files you can maintain them when transfering them to disk, instead of having to drop down in the quality.

Thanks for your information on the ablities of Creator 2009. At least if you have a 1920x1080 AVCHD files you can maintain them when transfering them to disk, instead of having to drop down in the quality.

I own Sony Handycam HDR-SR11 camcorder and of course I use EMC 2009 for importing / editing / transcoding AVCHD files. Everything is just fine except one thing - EMC 2009 needs to transcode AVCHD files to MPEG2 before you can do anything (for example, you cannot even transcode AVCHD to WMV or DivX directly, without any editing - first, EMC 2009 will transcode your files to MPEG2 and only after that, to the format of your choice. So, in fact, there is some loss in the quality because of additional transcoding step.

I own Sony Handycam HDR-SR11 camcorder and of course I use EMC 2009 for importing / editing / transcoding AVCHD files. Everything is just fine except one thing - EMC 2009 needs to transcode AVCHD files to MPEG2 before you can do anything (for example, you cannot even transcode AVCHD to WMV or DivX directly, without any editing - first, EMC 2009 will transcode your files to MPEG2 and only after that, to the format of your choice. So, in fact, there is some loss in the quality because of additional transcoding step.

The same Handycam I am getting to know. Pictures looks great on the HDTV. Just trying to find out more on transferring/editing the recordings from the hard drive to other media and options. Purchased Vegas Modie Studio Platinum only to find that the AVCHD highest quality is 1440x1080 and not the 1920x1080 the camera records. Checking on the capabiltiies of this new version from Roxio with Creator 2009 still using EMC-9 for now but not for the video editing etc.

Thanks for your input.

James

EMC 2009 needs to transcode AVCHD files to MPEG2 before you can do anything
Just curious... exactly how did you determine this? When I check the proxy file folder, I see no video proxy files when I add a AVCHD.

---

Edit: I think I know what you are referring to like when we add .dvr-ms or .m2t files there is a message saying the file must be converted to an editable format. I've never had any .m2ts files, but AVCHD can also be in other formats like .MP4 and .MOV. With those formats, you won't get that message.

Edited by ggrussell

I think I know what you are referring to like when we add .dvr-ms or .m2t files there is a message saying the file must be converted to an editable format. I've never had any .m2ts files, but AVCHD can also be in other formats like .MP4 and .MOV. With those formats, you won't get that message.

Exactly.

This conversion isn't a big deal. Videowave keeps the original resolution of the file and only converts for editing purposes. Why Videowave converts .m2ts and not the other formats is a bit of a mystery.

Sorry for jumping in, but trying to get this clear in my mind;

Does Creator 2009 work with Sony HDR-SR11 AVCHD files as-is? That is, without any user-intervention (e.g. conversions) Thanks. :mellow:

C2009 does support AVCHD files directly without any prior conversions. However it does not edit them natively. That's why it converts on-the-fly to something it can edit. I have downloaded sample AVCHD from several manufacturer's websites and didn't have any problems importing into Videowave/MyDVD 11.

C2009 does support AVCHD files directly without any prior conversions. However it does not edit them natively.

Thanks ggrussell - Editing native AVCHD files is not necessary, however the ability for C2009 to create DVD's and other compilations from the native files without manual conversion is excellent news. :lol:

Something new in C2009, MyDVD can now create AVCHD (with and without menus) on regular DVDs, too. You would need a player that supports the format though. Cineplayer which comes with C2009 can play them back on the PC.

Edited by ggrussell

Thanks ggrussell - Editing native AVCHD files is not necessary, however the ability for C2009 to create DVD's and other compilations from the native files without manual conversion is excellent news. :lol:

Update: I'm now using Creator 2009, however programs like "Video Wave" must convert the AVCHD files into a format it can use (e.g. MPEG). Conversion can take an extremely long time and (I think) would have to be done each time the production is opened. (?) :blink:

So, to save production time, I used C2009 to convert all AVCHD files into a format directly useable by Video Wave. I forgot to time it, but conversion took several hours to convert 143 AVCHD video snippets, each averaging 5 to 10 seconds of video.

So, (in my opinion) manual conversion of AVCHD files is unnecessary for small quick one-time productions, but mandatory for productions where DVD's will have multiple chapters and/or many AVCHD files.

My wish is that C2009 could use AVCHD files without ANY conversion - primarily due to the time to convert.

09/17/2008 Clarification: As ggrussell points out - I used the camcorder software to batch convert the AVCHD files to MPEG-2 -- C2009's batch conversion utility did not seem to work very well (cannot remember the name of the C2009 conversion utility)

Edited by bdlang

My wish is that C2009 could use AVCHD files without ANY conversion - primarily due to the time to convert.
Very few apps can do that. Only two that I know and one of those comes with your camcorder.

Videowave should NOT have to convert all those files every single time you open the project. Unless you have manually deleted those files, they should still be on your computer.

Sorry for jumping in, but trying to get this clear in my mind;

Does Creator 2009 work with Sony HDR-SR11 AVCHD files as-is? That is, without any user-intervention (e.g. conversions) Thanks. :mellow:

As far as I can figure the answer is no. The m2t files are changed to mpeg2 files. There does not seem to be a batch mode either. That is I have to say yes, click done, and move to the next one until the video files are all converted. This is a pain and very time consuming.

Sony picture movie browser software will convert them as a batch but you lose resolution when you use them.

Having Creator convert them helps the resolution quite a bit but the final burn is about 80 to 90 percent of the video quality seen when the Sony software burns directly. I have trashed about 30 DVD's trying different settings for the process.

I might need a simple step by step procedure to get the best. Such as , Import videos, use (this setup), output (this setup), burn (this setup). You get the idea. Quite frustrating not being able to get the full high def videos. I do so want to make some nice edited videos but do not want to go down in resolution. Fine for simple 5 minute family things but not adequate for a full vacation video of WDW.

I really like Creator ease of use but not enough simple tutorial stuff for my likes.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Are you burning the AVCHD to standard video DVD? You're losing more quality than you think. HD 1920X1080 resolution would be resized to 720x480 16:9. To keep the best quality, you need a Blu-ray burner or use the new option in MyDVD to burn 'AVCHD to standard DVD'. This new option requires a Blu-ray player or play them back on the PC.

This format is not supported in WinXP so a driver would be needed. Not sure if Vista supports it natively or not. Still haven't tried that.

I have a Canon HV20 and I have always been impressed with how well MyDVD compresses the HD video to SD.

Here are the settings for the preset templates:

I can only assume those not labelled interlaced are rendered as progressive. Those last four might be HDV Bluray format. Don't expect the AVCHD to be smart rendered. As far as I know, the only software that can 'edit' AVCHD without re-encoding is Pixela (sp?) that comes with some Sony AVCHD camcorders.

Hi,

In Creator 2009 is it possible to output in AVCHD 1080i = 1920x1080@4.88Mbps but in 29.97fps?

Hi,

In Creator 2009 is it possible to output in AVCHD 1080i = 1920x1080@4.88Mbps but in 29.97fps?

I see no preset templates, but you can create a custom one.

I see no preset templates, but you can create a custom one.

Thank you. I am due to get my Creator 2009 Ultimate in a few days so I will be able to try it out for myself.

Hi,

Just wondering why? What do you expect to gain? Do you have a player that will play that higher frame rate?

Just wondering why? What do you expect to gain? Do you have a player that will play that higher frame rate?

Hi,

My Sanyo Xacti HD1000 Camcorder records the original footage in 29.97fps. I currently use Pinnacle Studio 12 which will only reach 25fps and in playback motion gets a sort of judder/ sickness which I'm told is due to the differing frame rate and frame drops. Hence my eagerness that Creator 2009 will output H.264 at 29.97fps the same as the original file. Any thoughts? Thanks for the interest.

Hi,

My Sanyo Xacti HD1000 Camcorder records the original footage in 29.97fps. I currently use Pinnacle Studio 12 which will only reach 25fps and in playback motion gets a sort of judder/ sickness which I'm told is due to the differing frame rate and frame drops. Hence my eagerness that Creator 2009 will output H.264 at 29.97fps the same as the original file. Any thoughts? Thanks for the interest.

Actually the background is that the Xacti when played back directly through my HD TV gives a wonderful image and I'm very pleased with its quality, resolution etc. However its unedited. So I've been on a quest to find editing software that will output a file that will play on my PS3 which I use as a media server to my HD TV. I've tried all the free trails form all the sotware houses to no avail including Adobe, Ciber etc and finalised on Studio 12. But then to my dismay found that output files were much lower quality as studio could not generate either the bit rate or the fps. So I was pleased to see Creator 2009 imports and exports in H.264 and my fellow forum member says that the output is customisable so hoepfully I can get 29.97fps to overcome the motion sickness I get on edited fottage.

OK thanks. Shows I'm a newbie.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that Creator 2009 will be able to generate H.264 files of a higher bit rate than Studio has been able to do so that the edited files are as near as possible the same qaulity as the originals from the camera which I'm not getting with Studio generated files. The bit rate of the original is in the region of 12Mbps. The max I can get out of a rendered file from Studio is 3Mbps and it shows in the quality. I'm assuming thats whats affecting the quality anyway. Also the output format will be the same as the input format and although I'm a newbie would have thought was important.

OK thanks. Shows I'm a newbie.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that Creator 2009 will be able to generate H.264 files of a higher bit rate than Studio has been able to do so that the edited files are as near as possible the same qaulity as the originals from the camera which I'm not getting with Studio generated files. The bit rate of the original is in the region of 12Mbps. The max I can get out of a rendered file from Studio is 3Mbps and it shows in the quality. I'm assuming thats whats affecting the quality anyway. Also the output format will be the same as the input format and although I'm a newbie would have thought was important.

Here is what can be output by Videowave 11:

I can only assume those not labelled interlaced are rendered as progressive. NTSC is 29.97fps. When authoring a disc, MyDVD has four choices for Blu-ray burning. I have no idea what format those use (yet - wokring on it :)).

Edited by ggrussell

Here is what can be output by Videowave 11:

I can only assume those not labelled interlaced are rendered as progressive. NTSC is 29.97fps. When authoring a disc, MyDVD has four choices for Blu-ray burning. I have no idea what format those use (yet - wokring on it :)).

Thanks ggrussell. The bit rates look more hopeful and optimistic. However your list does not make specific reference to MPEG4 AVC H.264 1920 x 1080i files. I understand this is a new format that Creator 2009 can now import and export that Creator 10 could not. Studio 12 also does not currently support MPEG4 AVC H.264 files either. This is the specific file format I'm referring to and my camera uses and that I want to try to edit and then output in comparable HD quality. Then copy onto my network Hard drive and to play through my playstation onto my HD TV with as little as possible loss of quality. I don't want to have to produce a Bluray disc to achieve this unless burning a Bluray disc is the only way to get the quality to match the original file from the camera. I just want to keep my media on my network hard drive rather than have discs. I hope I've explained myself OK.

Is as close to your camcorder output as possible. AVC IS MPEG 4/H.264