6 replies to this topic

#1 cdn1972

cdn1972

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:07 AM

I am working on a larger film to movie creation and am experianceing some problems with freezing and closing down Movie Creator. I have edited the rough film down to about an hour of film and am adding about 350 Jpegs at the end. The program does not seem to like the addition of the J Pegs to the library and does not give me an option to put them outside of the program. If I add about 10 at a time, then save it seems ok but runs slow sometimes. I want to try using a dual layer disc for this vacation movie. Is this just too big a project for Movie Creator, I have had no problem in the past making a 55 min movie on disc but it had only a few  jpegs added.
Is it possible it's the computer ram? I always turn everything else off while working in Creator so it is not that. I would hate to get into the make movie stage and loose it all as it was quite time consuming.
thanks for any help in advance.
Kevin
IBM 3.4 XP Home- Updated, 360 & 500 gig Hds, Lite-On dual Layer DVD,ATI TV Wonder PRO PCI NTSC Tuner/Video Capture Card.

#2 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,902 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE (cdn1972 @ Sep 8 2008, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am working on a larger film to movie creation and am experianceing some problems with freezing and closing down Movie Creator. I have edited the rough film down to about an hour of film and am adding about 350 Jpegs at the end. The program does not seem to like the addition of the J Pegs to the library and does not give me an option to put them outside of the program. If I add about 10 at a time, then save it seems ok but runs slow sometimes. I want to try using a dual layer disc for this vacation movie. Is this just too big a project for Movie Creator, I have had no problem in the past making a 55 min movie on disc but it had only a few  jpegs added.
Is it possible it's the computer ram? I always turn everything else off while working in Creator so it is not that. I would hate to get into the make movie stage and loose it all as it was quite time consuming.
thanks for any help in advance.
Kevin

I am not familir with Videowave Movie Creator and could not even find anything on the Roxio/Sonic site about it. It seems to be a product that has been discontinued for several years already.

In general, a standard 4.7GB DVD will only hold 60 minutes of best quality video, anything more and the quality has to be reduced. Also I doubt very much if VMC is able to burn DL DVDs even if you do have DL burner. Your system is also on the low end for video work. Video requires lots of hard drive space and you 2x40GB drives are propably not up to the task. How much free space is available on your drive?

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#3 ml

ml

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,048 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:53 AM

I have Movie Creator and basically, it's VideoWave 5 as a standalone package.    It was my first introduction to Roxio products and I loved that it was simple to use.  It still works on my XP computer that hasn't been updated with the newest Microsoft Updates.

However, it will NOT burn DL DVDs.  

As to adding the files to the library, it might be running slow if you're actually copying the files to the library rather than using the Folder View and pointing the program to where the pictures are stored.

I notice that you're using WinXP and if you've upgraded to Internet Explorer 7, it will probably 'break' the burning part of the program just as it does to VW 5.

You're using a program that worked very well on XP computers until Microsoft started updating their web browser and other programs to be compatable with Window Vista.

You're going to need to upgrade in order to burn DL DVDs.  HOWEVER, you need to make certain that your computer exceeds the program specifications for what you want to do.

ml

flying squirrel......"It's more of a gliding thing....."

Intel® Core™2 Duo 2.2 Ghz desktop processor E4500;
3GB DDR2 memory;
DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive;
500GB SATA 7200 rpm hard drive;
Windows Vista Home Premium ,
ATI RADEON HD 2400,Built-in TV tuner , High-definition audio (8-speaker support), HDMI
Multiformat media reader,
IEEE 1394 (FireWire) interface and 6 high-speed USB 2.0 ports,
PCI card with 4 USB 2.0 and 2 IEEE 1394 ports,
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet

#4 cdn1972

cdn1972

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (ml @ Sep 8 2008, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have Movie Creator and basically, it's VideoWave 5 as a standalone package.    It was my first introduction to Roxio products and I loved that it was simple to use.  It still works on my XP computer that hasn't been updated with the newest Microsoft Updates.

However, it will NOT burn DL DVDs.  

As to adding the files to the library, it might be running slow if you're actually copying the files to the library rather than using the Folder View and pointing the program to where the pictures are stored.

I notice that you're using WinXP and if you've upgraded to Internet Explorer 7, it will probably 'break' the burning part of the program just as it does to VW 5.

You're using a program that worked very well on XP computers until Microsoft started updating their web browser and other programs to be compatable with Window Vista.

You're going to need to upgrade in order to burn DL DVDs.  HOWEVER, you need to make certain that your computer exceeds the program specifications for what you want to do.

I never update the machine from the initial startup if all of my programs work, I keep using older programs for the small amounts of things I do with the computer so I leave well enough alone. I do update my online protection to guard against virus etc.
I have about 40% left on each drive at the moment with this current project, I burn my movies with Nero so do you know if that will burn DL?
Should I be looking at creator 10 as a replacement for ease in video or is there a better one?

IBM 3.4 XP Home- Updated, 360 & 500 gig Hds, Lite-On dual Layer DVD,ATI TV Wonder PRO PCI NTSC Tuner/Video Capture Card.

#5 ml

ml

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,048 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE (cdn1972 @ Sep 8 2008, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never update the machine from the initial startup if all of my programs work, I keep using older programs for the small amounts of things I do with the computer so I leave well enough alone. I do update my online protection to guard against virus etc.
I have about 40% left on each drive at the moment with this current project, I burn my movies with Nero so do you know if that will burn DL?
Should I be looking at creator 10 as a replacement for ease in video or is there a better one?

Creator 2009 is the newest Roxio product and that will burn DL as will EMC 10.  However, you need to check the specifications to see if it will work with your computer.   Some older versions of the program will also burn DL.   I don't know about Nero.

Did you DL burner come with some software to burn video DVDs?   Most burners come with some type of DVD burning software, but they are usually copies with many feature disabled.
ml

3GB DDR2 memory;
DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive;
ATI RADEON HD 2400,Built-in TV tuner , High-definition audio (8-speaker support), HDMI

#6 cdn1972

cdn1972

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (ml @ Sep 8 2008, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Creator 2009 is the newest Roxio product and that will burn DL as will EMC 10.  However, you need to check the specifications to see if it will work with your computer.   Some older versions of the program will also burn DL.   I don't know about Nero.

Did you DL burner come with some software to burn video DVDs?   Most burners come with some type of DVD burning software, but they are usually copies with many feature disabled.

Yes it came with the full blown nero package, I have always edited in Roxio and burned in Nero but have yet to try a DL disc. I was just wondering if this program was seeing too much info and bordered on overload knowing the limits of the systems/programs when Creator was written.

#7 ml

ml

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,048 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (cdn1972 @ Sep 9 2008, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes it came with the full blown nero package, I have always edited in Roxio and burned in Nero but have yet to try a DL disc. I was just wondering if this program was seeing too much info and bordered on overload knowing the limits of the systems/programs when Creator was written.

Your guess is as good as mine.  

Since the program was only designed to make one hour DVDs, it's very possible that you're running into a feature designed to limit the amount you can add to the project.
ml

3GB DDR2 memory;
DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users