• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kim_PDX

Kim_PDX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:33 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron 1420 with Roxio Creator Premier 10 installed by Dell.  It does not contain all the individual features that I had with my Easy Media Creator 10 Suite, but I didn't use many of those features anyway.  

Here is my question:

With Creator Premier 10, the only way you can access Videowave (or a Videowave-esque window) is through My DVD.  This gives you access to all the basic VideoWave features you would expect to see in the EMC 10 Suites, I have used this successfully to create movies with sound, transitions, etc., and I have been successful in outputting to a variety of formats.  

However when you save this file, the file format is .DMSD, which is a MyDVD file format.  

Creator Premier 10 MyDVD allows you to import movies into your production, including VideoWave .dmsm files.  However Creator Premier 10 MyDVD does not allow you to import other MyDVD .dmsd files.  This seems odd, because I cannot find a way to create a .DMSM file with Creator Premier 10 MyDVD while using the VideoWave-esque window.  

Has anyone found a work-around to create .DMSM files with Creator Premier 10 MyDVD?  If you change the extension on a .DMSD file to .DMSM, it will launch VideoWave individually, but it immediately crashes and closes.

My software drivers are up-to-date according to Roxio and Dell.

I have a full retail version of EMC Creator 10 Suite, but that never did work without hangs and crashes.  At least Creator Premier 10 works, so I am reluctant to load the other version.  

#2 malatekid

malatekid

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,672 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:00 AM

I don't have Creator Premier but here are my take on your issues

QUOTE (Kim_PDX @ Sep 24 2008, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a Dell Inspiron 1420 with Roxio Creator Premier 10 installed by Dell. It does not contain all the individual features that I had with my Easy Media Creator 10 Suite, but I didn't use many of those features anyway.

Here is my question:

With Creator Premier 10, the only way you can access Videowave (or a Videowave-esque window) is through My DVD. This gives you access to all the basic VideoWave features you would expect to see in the EMC 10 Suites, I have used this successfully to create movies with sound, transitions, etc., and I have been successful in outputting to a variety of formats.

However when you save this file, the file format is .DMSD, which is a MyDVD file format. Same as EMC 10.

Creator Premier 10 MyDVD allows you to import movies into your production, including VideoWave .dmsm files. However Creator Premier 10 MyDVD does not allow you to import other MyDVD .dmsd files. This seems odd, because I cannot find a way to create a .DMSM file with Creator Premier 10 MyDVD while using the VideoWave-esque window. You then use the saved MyDVD dmsd file to edit the movie within it. Videowave is integrated in MyDVD and your Creator Premier version does not have the functionality to use Videowave as a stand-alone application. sad.gif

Has anyone found a work-around to create .DMSM files with Creator Premier 10 MyDVD? Even in the full blown EMC 10 Suite, this is not a feature or doable.
If you change the extension on a .DMSD file to .DMSM, it will launch VideoWave individually, but it immediately crashes and closes.

My software drivers are up-to-date according to Roxio and Dell.

I have a full retail version of EMC Creator 10 Suite, but that never did work without hangs and crashes. Did you install it in the machine where Creator Premiere 10 is installed?

At least Creator Premier 10 works, so I am reluctant to load the other version. There might be a conflict if you installed EMC 10 in the same machine . Is there another machine where you can install EMC 10?

Edited by malatekid, 24 September 2008 - 07:00 AM.

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances, and demonstrations for impressions"
   -- John Ruskin

Roxio Creator 2012 Pro
Dell XPS 410
Windows XP Professional,Service Pack 3
Intel 2 Duo Processor E6700 (2.66GHz,1066FSB) with 4MB cache
4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz
500GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive(7200RPM)

1 GB DDR3 EVGA GeForce GT 630
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic (D) Sound Card
Samsung SH-S203B, Asus DRW-2014L1T
Epson R300 printer, Epson 4490 Scanner

#3 ml

ml

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,048 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE (Kim_PDX @ Sep 24 2008, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone found a work-around to create .DMSM files with Creator Premier 10 MyDVD? If you change the extension on a .DMSD file to .DMSM, it will launch VideoWave individually, but it immediately crashes and closes.

I guess I don't understand the problem.

Why do you want to create a .DMSM file?   If the Roxio OEM program is set up so that the only way you can access VideoWave is through MyDVD, then the program will crash even if you have a .dmsm file available.  You don't have a standalone version of VideoWave.

The .dmsm file is an editing file, just as the .dmsd file is for the MyDVD program.   It depends on you having a standalone, functional version of VideoWave which you don't seem to have.

(Now I don't have that program, so I can't test it to see.   However, based on your description, that seems to be what is happening.)

As far as the EMC 10 Suite program crashing, it might not install correctly with the Dell version on the computer.   I wouldn't advise uninstalling the Dell version unless you have a way to install it again, including any CD key that might be necessary.  

ml

flying squirrel......"It's more of a gliding thing....."

Intel® Core™2 Duo 2.2 Ghz desktop processor E4500;
3GB DDR2 memory;
DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive;
500GB SATA 7200 rpm hard drive;
Windows Vista Home Premium ,
ATI RADEON HD 2400,Built-in TV tuner , High-definition audio (8-speaker support), HDMI
Multiformat media reader,
IEEE 1394 (FireWire) interface and 6 high-speed USB 2.0 ports,
PCI card with 4 USB 2.0 and 2 IEEE 1394 ports,
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet

#4 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,345 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:42 AM

As you know a dmsd file is a Project file from MyDVD. You can only have ONE PROJECT running at one time! That is why you cannot add multiple dmsd files.

It sounds as though you want to do edits to various movie clips then combine them in MyDVD? With your limitations I think what you need to do is edit then use the Output As (movie reel icon at the top) and save it as an mpg or DV AVI.

Then you can add these clips to MyDVD.

Posted Image

#5 Kim_PDX

Kim_PDX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:56 PM

Why do you want to create a .DMSM file?  
I have multiple MyDVD projects (movies with clips, transitions, music, etc) and I would like to combine them as individual movies in a single MyDVD project and preserve all the editing capabilities.  I can add new movies, but the required format is .DMSM, .MPG, .JPG, etc.  You cannot add a .DMSD project as a new movie.  I understand that I can output to MPG or whatever and add that as a new movie, but I would lose the ability to edit the clips, transitions, etc.  

I realized too late in my movie building process that I could add new movies within a single MyDVD project.  I am trying to avoid rebuilding 5-6 little movies with all the editing capability in a single MyDVD project.

If the Roxio OEM program is set up so that the only way you can access VideoWave is through MyDVD, then the program will crash even if you have a .dmsm file available.  You don't have a standalone version of VideoWave.

The .dmsm file is an editing file, just as the .dmsd file is for the MyDVD program.   It depends on you having a standalone, functional version of VideoWave which you don't seem to have.

(Now I don't have that program, so I can't test it to see.   However, based on your description, that seems to be what is happening.)

As far as the EMC 10 Suite program crashing, it might not install correctly with the Dell version on the computer.   I wouldn't advise uninstalling the Dell version unless you have a way to install it again, including any CD key that might be necessary.

Like many other users, EMC 10 Suite never ran properly without crashes on my old Dell.  I was foolish enough to buy it twice and it crashed, crashed, and crashed.  I have given up on EMC 10.  I bought my current Dell in April 2008 with Creator Premier 10 pre-installed.  EMC 10 Suite has never been installed.

Edited by Kim_PDX, 24 September 2008 - 05:02 PM.

#6 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,549 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (Kim_PDX @ Sep 24 2008, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why do you want to create a .DMSM file?  
I have multiple MyDVD projects (movies with clips, transitions, music, etc) and I would like to combine them as individual movies in a single MyDVD project and preserve all the editing capabilities.  I can add new movies, but the required format is .DMSM, .MPG, .JPG, etc.  You cannot add a .DMSD project as a new movie.  I understand that I can output to MPG or whatever and add that as a new movie, but I would lose the ability to edit the clips, transitions, etc.  

I realized too late in my movie building process that I could add new movies within a single MyDVD project.  I am trying to avoid rebuilding 5-6 little movies with all the editing capability in a single MyDVD project.

If the Roxio OEM program is set up so that the only way you can access VideoWave is through MyDVD, then the program will crash even if you have a .dmsm file available.  You don't have a standalone version of VideoWave.

Like many other users, EMC 10 Suite never ran properly without crashes on my old Dell.  I was foolish enough to buy it twice and it crashed, crashed, and crashed.  I have given up on EMC 10.  I bought my current Dell in April 2008 with Creator Premier 10 pre-installed.  EMC 10 Suite has never been installed.

The reason that you can't bring in more than one .dmsd file is because of the menus and other authoring done to each of the .dmsd saved files.

You can open each of those files, individually, hit the Edit Movie button, if you have that in your version, and when VideoWave comes up, you can output as an .mpg2 file.  Once you have done that, you can bring them into MyDVD, then make changes to the menu, etc., and burn your production.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#7 Kim_PDX

Kim_PDX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (grandpabruce @ Sep 24 2008, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The reason that you can't bring in more than one .dmsd file is because of the menus and other authoring done to each of the .dmsd saved files.

You can open each of those files, individually, hit the Edit Movie button, if you have that in your version, and when VideoWave comes up, you can output as an .mpg2 file.  Once you have done that, you can bring them into MyDVD, then make changes to the menu, etc., and burn your production.

I am not explaining my issue very well.  I do not want to output as an .MPG2 file because this will be one long .MPG2 file and will not retain the clip-by-clip VideoWave editing capability from its original MyDvd/VideoWave production.  

I want to have 5-6 individual VideoWave-esque movies in one big MyDVD production rather than 5-6 MyDVD productions each containing a single VideoWave movie.  Each single movie MyDVD production runs about 4 minutes and has between 50-70 clips, various effects, and titles.  If I output to an MPG2 file, I will have one 4 minute MPG2 file.  This limits my ability to quickly add/subtract clips and effects.  Yeah I can do it, but it would be much easier if I could retain all the VideoWave properties from the original MyDVD movie file.  That way if I want to swap out Clip No. 37 on Movie No. 2, I swap just that clip.  

I fear that I will ultimately have to rebuild my individual MyDVD productions into a single MyDVD production with 5-6 movies.  Until then I can certainly work with the individual productions and author DVDs.  

#8 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,943 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (Kim_PDX @ Sep 25 2008, 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am not explaining my issue very well.  I do not want to output as an .MPG2 file because this will be one long .MPG2 file and will not retain the clip-by-clip VideoWave editing capability from its original MyDvd/VideoWave production.  

I want to have 5-6 individual VideoWave-esque movies in one big MyDVD production rather than 5-6 MyDVD productions each containing a single VideoWave movie.  Each single movie MyDVD production runs about 4 minutes and has between 50-70 clips, various effects, and titles.  If I output to an MPG2 file, I will have one 4 minute MPG2 file.  This limits my ability to quickly add/subtract clips and effects.  Yeah I can do it, but it would be much easier if I could retain all the VideoWave properties from the original MyDVD movie file.  That way if I want to swap out Clip No. 37 on Movie No. 2, I swap just that clip.  

I fear that I will ultimately have to rebuild my individual MyDVD productions into a single MyDVD production with 5-6 movies.  Until then I can certainly work with the individual productions and author DVDs.  

Why don't you get the full EMC 10 (or Creator 2009) if you want to use Videowave as a stand-alone program?
myDVD cannot create Videowave dmsm project files!

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#9 ml

ml

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,048 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (myguggi @ Sep 24 2008, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why don't you get the full EMC 10 (or Creator 2009) if you want to use Videowave as a stand-alone program?

She's got EMC 10 but it kept crashing.

I don't think there is a solution using the Dell Creator Premier 10.    Part of the problem is that none of us have the program so we can't test it to see if it's working properly.

At this point, I think you need to go to the Dell Website Support and discussion groups where others who have that program might be able to help you.
ml

3GB DDR2 memory;
DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive;
ATI RADEON HD 2400,Built-in TV tuner , High-definition audio (8-speaker support), HDMI

#10 Kim_PDX

Kim_PDX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE (myguggi @ Sep 24 2008, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I own the full version of EMC 10 Suite.  Actually, I own 2 licensed copies.  But I always had crashes and hangs on my old Dell (XP) despite my many clean installs.  When I ordered my new Dell (Vista), I ordered the Creator Premier 10 as a Dell installed software.  So no hangs, but it's sans a stand-alone VideoWave.

I am already starting to see posts about Creator 2009 crashing and hanging, so I am reluctant to pay the $$$ for this headache.  I could just as well install EMC 10, which I already own, and get all the hangs and crashes without paying anything more : )

#11 ml

ml

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,048 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE (Kim_PDX @ Sep 25 2008, 01:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I own the full version of EMC 10 Suite. Actually, I own 2 licensed copies. But I always had crashes and hangs on my old Dell (XP) despite my many clean installs. When I ordered my new Dell (Vista), I ordered the Creator Premier 10 as a Dell installed software. So no hangs, but it's sans a stand-alone VideoWave.

I am already starting to see posts about Creator 2009 crashing and hanging, so I am reluctant to pay the $$$ for this headache. I could just as well install EMC 10, which I already own, and get all the hangs and crashes without paying anything more : )

Support for versions of the software provided by computer manufacturers comes from the computer manufacturer.   In your case it is Dell.

Could Dell not help you in their discussion forums?  Link here: http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums...ry.id=Tech_Talk
ml

3GB DDR2 memory;
DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users