• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rbauer623

rbauer623

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:19 AM

I have the Roxio Drag to Disc program (bundled program from HP) intalled on my PC. I do not ave Roxio Media Manager but when I start up my PC I keep getting a message that Roxio Media Manager is trying to install. I don't know whay this is happening but since I do not have the disc needed the install cannot complete. I keep cancellng the install but after a while it comes ack again. How can I get the PC to stop trying to install this program. I am not initializing this - must be something that is happening automatically in my PC's start up procedures.

#2 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,184 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:45 AM

QUOTE (rbauer623 @ Oct 3 2008, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have the Roxio Drag to Disc program (bundled program from HP) intalled on my PC. I do not ave Roxio Media Manager but when I start up my PC I keep getting a message that Roxio Media Manager is trying to install. I don't know whay this is happening but since I do not have the disc needed the install cannot complete. I keep cancellng the install but after a while it comes ack again. How can I get the PC to stop trying to install this program. I am not initializing this - must be something that is happening automatically in my PC's start up procedures.

Read this  http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...mp;#entry224256

#3 firenhancer

firenhancer

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:16 AM

Have you got Blackberry Desktop Manager installed? If yes, it is likely you have also installed Roxio Media Manager. You can cure the issue by pointing the MSI installer to the folder location of installer files for Blackberry desktop Manager (with media manager). Once it is repaired you can uninstall and install a version without Media Manager smile.gif

#4 newuser70

newuser70

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (firenhancer @ Oct 3 2008, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you got Blackberry Desktop Manager installed? If yes, it is likely you have also installed Roxio Media Manager. You can cure the issue by pointing the MSI installer to the folder location of installer files for Blackberry desktop Manager (with media manager). Once it is repaired you can uninstall and install a version without Media Manager smile.gif

I've looked for that file, but i can't find it.  where should i look?

#5 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:57 PM

do a search for *.msi in the disc you got with the Blackberry
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
Intel I7 950 on Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo
12 GB Three Channel DDRAM
Radeon HD4850 512 MB GDR3 graphics
Signalink USB Audio Codec for ham radio connection
1 x 160 GB, 1 x 330 GB, 1 x 400 GB IDE drives
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
LG HL-DT-ST GGW-H20L BD-RE drive
22" Acer P223W monitor

EMC 7.5 on Windows XP 32 SP3
EMC10 on Windows XP64 SP2
Creator 2011 on Windows 7 Ultimate
ECD6 on Gentoo Linux (running under VMWare)

#6 kenlotze

kenlotze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:03 AM

QUOTE (firenhancer @ Oct 3 2008, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you firenhancer! I had the same problem on my PC. I did what you said and it worked perfectly!
Ken Lotze rolleyes.gif

#7 holger

holger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:09 AM

QUOTE (firenhancer @ Oct 3 2008, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same problem here: Roxio Media Manager keeps trying to update, but installation process always ends up in a loop where it asks for "Roxio Media Manager.msi". I have pointed to such a file on the RIM installation CD -- not accepted. And I cannot unistall the (Blackberry) Desktop Manager because this #$^@ Roxio Media Manger starts the installation routine before I can start any uninstall procedure!

Sorry to say it, but I am really annoyed!  mad.gif

Has anybody the same experience?

#8 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:53 AM

You're posting to a long-dead thread but did you try the suggestions.

Also, did you try removal using windows control panel with the disc inserted?

Finally - what OS are you using?
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
22" Acer P223W monitor

#9 holger

holger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE (gi7omy @ May 17 2010, 07:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're posting to a long-dead thread but did you try the suggestions.

Also, did you try removal using windows control panel with the disc inserted?

Finally - what OS are you using?

Hi gi7omy

Jep, I know that the post is old, and I actually did try the suggestions above. Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my previous post, but NO (repeat: NO) add/removal of software via the control panel was possible AT ALL because the auto-update-installation started right after log-in (and no further instance of msiexec was allowed after that). I spent 6 annoying hours trying all solutions presented both here and in other posts on the net until finally following solution brought me to success:

I found an entry in the regestry under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" which started a process called ISUSPM, presumably the InstallShield of Macrovision. I deleted the item and after a reboot no new auto-update started, so I finally was able to perform a clean uninstall of the Blackberry Desktop Manager, which also removed the problem-causing Media Manager.

Sorry to say it, but I will require really good arguments before re-installing it...

Thanks so far.

By the way, I am running WinXP Professional with SP2

#10 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:03 AM

Part of the problem is you have a highly modified, cut down version made to Blackberry specs - but they seem reluctant to provide the agreed upon support (which they are supposed to)

Daithi

Home Brew computer
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
22" Acer P223W monitor

#11 lilymoonsilver

lilymoonsilver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:32 PM

Thank you thank you thank you Holger.

I was doing the same thing you were, trying everything I found to kill this stupid thing....

Nothing helped, but your regedit trick did the trick.

Mucho mucho mucho thanx.

--lilym

#12 PandJ

PandJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Holger,
Thanks for the info.
It worked!
We spent several days trying different things.
The nightmare is over! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users