• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dtbuss

dtbuss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:16 AM

I am attempting to capture analogue video tape from my old Handycam using an EasyCap video grabber card. The card came with Ulead VideoStudio software which functions fine (picture & sound). I have found however that Roxio captures a far superior picture - but unfortunately no sound. The capture device and audio input device (microphone / line in) are correctly selected in the program, and the microphone / line in is set as my default system recording device.

All the connections are good (it works in the other program). I hope there is something simple I have missed - please help?

#2 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,326 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:27 AM

This is a USB capture device and the Audio portion is coming through your USB, not your Line In.

In Media Import you select the USB Device and it should work. If it doesn't, it may be that the device simply will not work with Roxio.

Posted Image

#3 dtbuss

dtbuss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE (Jim_Hardin @ Oct 18 2008, 03:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a USB capture device and the Audio portion is coming through your USB, not your Line In.

In Media Import you select the USB Device and it should work. If it doesn't, it may be that the device simply will not work with Roxio.

Thanks Jim. In Media Import my device options are Laptop Integrated Webcam, Easycap Video Grabber. and Live! Cam Virtual. I have selected Easycap Video Grabber.

The card has a USB input plus Line In input. I was getting no sound with the Ulead software until I plugged in the Line In. I've tried Roxio with both inputs and with USB alone but still no sound.

Looks like I might need a different capture card for Roxio - any recommendations?

David

#4 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,326 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 03:16 AM

The device has 4 input connections:

S-Video and 3, RCA plugs (red/while/yellow).

There is NO line in on the device!

There is only one output USB.

Your Video from the source would either be the S-Video or the Yellow RCA.

You Audio input will be to the Red and White RCA plugs and never to your PC Line In.

You need to check their website and see what others are doing for sound. I would also expect that your Ulead software has a capture setting where you can increase quality.

Posted Image

#5 ggrussell

ggrussell

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,940 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:37 AM

Found this device on eBay.  Looks very similiar to the new Roxio capure device.  From the camcorder, make sure the red to red and white to white. Then set the Windows default audio recording to Easycap audio.  Hopefully that will do the trick.

Attached Images

• Capture10_19_2008_10.33.23_AM.jpg
  • Capture10_19_2008_10.31.40_AM.jpg

Edited by ggrussell, 19 October 2008 - 06:38 AM.

Intel i7 4770k, 16GB 2400, LG 47" 3D TV, Two Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD, Hitachi 1TB HD, WD 3TB external USB3, LiteOn iHBS112 Bluray, LG WH14NS40 Bluray, ATI HD7870, Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z5500 THX certified 5.1 speakers, Epson 4490 scanner, Canon 9000Pro MarkII printer, Canon MF8380CDW, Sony TRV740 8mm digital, Canon HV20 HDV camcorder and Sony SLTA65VK for still photos, Win8 Pro 64bit
---------
System 2: HP DV7-3079wm, AMD Turion M60 2.4Ghz, $GB RAM, Patriot Pyro 128GB SSD, WD 320GB, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, Win8 Pro 64bit.

Gary Russell
TNUSA

#6 dtbuss

dtbuss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (Jim_Hardin @ Oct 19 2008, 03:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The device has 4 input connections:

S-Video and 3, RCA plugs (red/while/yellow).

There is NO line in on the device!

There is only one output USB.

Your Video from the source would either be the S-Video or the Yellow RCA.

You Audio input will be to the Red and White RCA plugs and never to your PC Line In.

You need to check their website and see what others are doing for sound. I would also expect that your Ulead software has a capture setting where you can increase quality.

Sorry - my mistake - I meant to say outputs not inputs. You are correct about the 4 input connections, however it does have a Line In output connection along with USB. I was getting no sound with Ulead until I connected both USB & Line In to my computer.

I will check the Ulead software capture settings but it is a pity I can't get sound with Roxio because its easier to use.

Thanks for your help
David

#7 dtbuss

dtbuss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (ggrussell @ Oct 19 2008, 06:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Found this device on eBay.  Looks very similiar to the new Roxio capure device.  From the camcorder, make sure the red to red and white to white. Then set the Windows default audio recording to Easycap audio.  Hopefully that will do the trick.

My Easycap card is similar to the one shown but it doesn't plug directly to USB, it is "in line" with USB and Line In output cords.

My Handycam has only one (mono) audio RCA out. I have connected it to red, white, and both (with a splitter) with success in my Ulead software (i.e. the sound comes through left, right, or both)

I'm running Vista. My sound recording default device is selected to Microphone / Line In (with the EasyCap Line In output connected). This works fine with Ulead but no sound with Roxio. There is no "easycap usb audio device" option as shown in your screen-shot.

(How do you do those screen-shots by the way?)

Thanks
David

#8 dtbuss

dtbuss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:17 PM

I think I have realised (after looking around the net) that I'm trying to work with an older-style capture device and out-dated software that I bought new off TradeMe (cf eBay) here in New Zealand. I think I'll upgrade to a new Roxio USB capture device.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users