8 replies to this topic

#1 hue983

hue983

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:36 AM

[font=Times New Roman]Hello,
I tried to write .avi file to my cd-rom using my computer, but drag-and-drop popped up and asking do you wan to create a vcd.  I tried to unistall EMC 7.5 , but I was not able to do so.  I decide to delete it manually by dragging EMC files to the recycle bin.   EMC gave me a warning message saying, deleting these file might cause  other programs to not function properly.  I ignored it.  However, I was not able to delete all files.  Two files such as shellexe.dll and other one was not deleted it.  Also, mydvd, sonic, and, mybackup folders was intact.  I don't know what happen to my  computer when I tried to move, cut, copy, and paste files Windows installer pop up and tried to install EMC.  Process is always same.  First Windows Installer icon appears thand
Roxio EMC 7: Installshield wizard
3. Unable to find a certificate file
4. There was a problem authenticating your version.  Please make sure your system is set to the current date.
When I tried to reinstalll EMC error message appear saying," Install.exe has encountered a problem and need to close."  
I decide to delete remaing folders such as Sonic, MyBackup, and MyDvd(?). When tried to deleted it manually.  I received a warning my cd-rom might not work in future.  I ignored it and press ok for deletion.  After deleting those folders my E: drive which dvd+rw can't recongize cd-rom.  It is able to read CD and DVd with data, but  can't read or write new data.  When I insert blank disk and click E:  my computer shows up with error message saying," E:\is not accessible.  Incorrect function."  Funny thing is when  I go in to control panel and click add and remove Roxio  folder is still there but I can't remove it.  Also, Widnows System Restore is not working.  I don't know why.  This is first time system restore is not working.  It says, System Restore not complete it.
I really don't know what to do.  Can anyone help me beause using windows is really pain because every time I click on file windows installer icon appear and try to install EMC.  Your inputs will be greatly appericated it and thank you again for your help.   I hope to hear from you soon.  
Thank You and have nice day.

#2 catu62

catu62

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:35 AM

[size=4][font=Courier New]

OK, first try to delete the files and directories you have by restarting your computer in safe mode.  I have found that you can delete a lot of files there that couldn't be delete in normal mode.  Then, if you feel comfortable with this, clear any reference to your program from the registry.  Click Start, then run then type   "regedit".  Go through each section go to the "software" tab and remove any mention of the programs you have deleted. If you have a registry cleaning program use that if you don't feel comfortable dealing with the registry yourself.  Even if you do the registry yourself run the registry clean program if you have it.  But don't fun it until you restart the computer to normal mode.  

Let me know how that works.

#3 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,576 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:05 PM

View Posthue983, on Apr 13 2006, 02:36 PM, said:

[font=Times New Roman]Hello,
I tried to write .avi file to my cd-rom using my computer, but drag-and-drop popped up and asking do you wan to create a vcd.  I tried to unistall EMC 7.5 , but I was not able to do so.  I decide to delete it manually by dragging EMC files to the recycle bin.   EMC gave me a warning message saying, deleting these file might cause  other programs to not function properly.  I ignored it.  However, I was not able to delete all files.  Two files such as shellexe.dll and other one was not deleted it.  Also, mydvd, sonic, and, mybackup folders was intact.  I don't know what happen to my  computer when I tried to move, cut, copy, and paste files Windows installer pop up and tried to install EMC.  Process is always same.  First Windows Installer icon appears thand
Roxio EMC 7: Installshield wizard
3. Unable to find a certificate file
4. There was a problem authenticating your version.  Please make sure your system is set to the current date.
When I tried to reinstalll EMC error message appear saying," Install.exe has encountered a problem and need to close."  
I decide to delete remaing folders such as Sonic, MyBackup, and MyDvd(?). When tried to deleted it manually.  I received a warning my cd-rom might not work in future.  I ignored it and press ok for deletion.  After deleting those folders my E: drive which dvd+rw can't recongize cd-rom.  It is able to read CD and DVd with data, but  can't read or write new data.  When I insert blank disk and click E:  my computer shows up with error message saying," E:\is not accessible.  Incorrect function."  Funny thing is when  I go in to control panel and click add and remove Roxio  folder is still there but I can't remove it.  Also, Widnows System Restore is not working.  I don't know why.  This is first time system restore is not working.  It says, System Restore not complete it.
I really don't know what to do.  Can anyone help me beause using windows is really pain because every time I click on file windows installer icon appear and try to install EMC.  Your inputs will be greatly appericated it and thank you again for your help.   I hope to hear from you soon.  
Thank You and have nice day.

Simply deleting files/folders is not a way to remove a program from your computer. It is a sure way to mess it up as you have discovered. There are hundreds of references left in the registry which will have to be removed. Since you did not use the add/remove utility to uninstall EMC then the entry in the control panel did not get removed. I have found that System restore often does not work once you start deleting files/folders.
Also, in case there is anything left over run this a couple of times http://tools.roxio.c...ols/roxizap.exe (this is Roxio's zap program )

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#4 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,195 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:56 PM

In addition to Walt said, you will probably need the Microsoft Cleanup Utility.  From what I saw in your post, I would advise you to get someone to help you.

Try using the Microsoft Cleanup Utility to get rid of all Roxio and Sonic files on your computer, reboot, then try to reinstall.
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;290301

View Postcatu62, on Apr 13 2006, 02:35 PM, said:

OK, first try to delete the files and directories you have by restarting your computer in safe mode.  I have found that you can delete a lot of files there that couldn't be delete in normal mode.  Then, if you feel comfortable with this, clear any reference to your program from the registry.  Click Start, then run then type   "regedit".  Go through each section go to the "software" tab and remove any mention of the programs you have deleted. If you have a registry cleaning program use that if you don't feel comfortable dealing with the registry yourself.  Even if you do the registry yourself run the registry clean program if you have it.  But don't fun it until you restart the computer to normal mode.  

Good grief!  If he did what he said, in the post, then he sure the heck isn't comfortable with uninstalling programs, much less playing with the registry.  You may just as well tell him to format C:/  !

Edited by grandpabruce, 13 April 2006 - 02:47 PM.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#5 hue983

hue983

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:09 PM

View Postmyguggi, on Apr 13 2006, 02:05 PM, said:

Simply deleting files/folders is not a way to remove a program from your computer. It is a sure way to mess it up as you have discovered. There are hundreds of references left in the registry which will have to be removed. Since you did not use the add/remove utility to uninstall EMC then the entry in the control panel did not get removed. I have found that System restore often does not work once you start deleting files/folders.
Also, in case there is anything left over run this a couple of times http://tools.roxio.c...ols/roxizap.exe (this is Roxio's zap program )
I followed your advise by downloading roxiozap program and ran twice.  However, when I went to registry there were still roxio folders such as napster, Sonic which has a subfolders include backup mypc, cineplayer, cineplayer ds dvd, cineplayer , cinetray , cmdemsg, mydvd, registration, temp, and updatemanager.  Should I make a backup of registry and delete those files advise by Catu 62.  I am little bit afriad to mess with registry, but I have a Registry Mechanic software which allows restore previous registry setting.  When I insert cd-rom to my e: drive and press icon it still says E:\ is not accessible.  Grandpabruce thinks I should run Microsoft clean up utility.  Should I use it or follow Catu 62 advice and delete registry file.  
Thank you very much for prompt response and hope to hear you again with more insight. Thanks again.

#6 hue983

hue983

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:49 PM

View Postcatu62, on Apr 13 2006, 11:35 AM, said:

Hello,
Before using registry to delete roxio folders I followed Walt's advise and used roxio zp toolls.  I used this tool because I was not comfortable with messing around with registry.  HOwever, roxio zap did not erase all of folders.  I had delete Sonic folders, Napster, and subfolders include in software directory.  However, I didn't delete all of Roxio folders located in Hkey class root directory.  After rebooting I tried to reinstall EMC 7 but I receive a same error saying, unable to find certificate file.  However, this time there was another message saying right after unable to find certificate file.  It says, " Could not open the certificate Reading Dll." I am really lost.  I don't know what to do.  I was surprised by your prompt response because I didn't expect a reply until late in the evening.  Thankyou for your insight and I hope you hear from again, and have a nice evening.  Thanks.

#7 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,195 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 06:48 PM

View Posthue983, on Apr 13 2006, 07:49 PM, said:

Hello,
Before using registry to delete roxio folders I followed Walt's advise and used roxio zp toolls.  I used this tool because I was not comfortable with messing around with registry.  HOwever, roxio zap did not erase all of folders.  I had delete Sonic folders, Napster, and subfolders include in software directory.  However, I didn't delete all of Roxio folders located in Hkey class root directory.  After rebooting I tried to reinstall EMC 7 but I receive a same error saying, unable to find certificate file.  However, this time there was another message saying right after unable to find certificate file.  It says, " Could not open the certificate Reading Dll." I am really lost.  I don't know what to do.  I was surprised by your prompt response because I didn't expect a reply until late in the evening.  Thankyou for your insight and I hope you hear from again, and have a nice evening.  Thanks.

Follow the directions on how to use the Microsoft Cleanup Utility, and get rid of all Roxio and Sonic entries that it finds.  Reboot, and try to reinstall.

The can't find Certificate, is the reason that I recommend the cleanup utility.  It works for most who have tried it.
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#8 hue983

hue983

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 01:33 PM

View Postgrandpabruce, on Apr 13 2006, 06:48 PM, said:

Follow the directions on how to use the Microsoft Cleanup Utility, and get rid of all Roxio and Sonic entries that it finds.  Reboot, and try to reinstall.

The can't find Certificate, is the reason that I recommend the cleanup utility.  It works for most who have tried it.
Hello Again,
I did exactly what you said.  I download the Microsoft Cleanup Utility, and got rid off all Roxio and Sonic folders.  I was able to reinstall EMC 7 and my E: drive was able to recongize cd-rom, and every thing seems normal.  However, system restore is still not working and I will definitely post again, if I face future problems. Thank you for your insights and I would like to express my apperication for every one who share their insights.  Have nice day.

#9 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,195 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 01:54 PM

View Posthue983, on Apr 14 2006, 04:33 PM, said:

Hello Again,
I did exactly what you said.  I download the Microsoft Cleanup Utility, and got rid off all Roxio and Sonic folders.  I was able to reinstall EMC 7 and my E: drive was able to recongize cd-rom, and every thing seems normal.  However, system restore is still not working and I will definitely post again, if I face future problems. Thank you for your insights and I would like to express my apperication for every one who share their insights.  Have nice day.

You are welcome.  I am glad that it worked for you.  EMC 7 has nothing to do with System Restore not working, but you should set a new restore point now, in case you do something a day or so from now, that causes you to have to go back to a previous restore point.
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce

Main System:
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users