• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 61 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

regismcd

I get nothing but disk errors

Question

I upgraded to Popcorn 2.0 this week and I have gotten nothing but disk errors. I'll try to burn a disk with Popcorn 2 and get a disk error and go back to using Toast 7 and I'll get a flaewless burn every time. I've tried two different kinds of media, Taiyo Yuden and Ritek. Both brands are recognized to be among the very best.

Needless to say I am very dissappointed.

G4 / Mac OSX 10.4.6

Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-108 revision 1.20

23 answers to this question

I'm putting the results on both boards to see if anyone else has an idea.

I removed the plists, repaired permissions and I still have the same problem with Popcorn 2. I put in a third type of media, Imation, and went through the steps and I got a media error that indicated that the disk failed. I quit Popcorn and launched Toast choosing the same TS folder and this time I tried the same disk that allegedly failed.

Toast worked flawlessly.

I'm putting the results on both boards to see if anyone else has an idea.

I removed the plists, repaired permissions and I still have the same problem with Popcorn 2. I put in a third type of media, Imation, and went through the steps and I got a media error that indicated that the disk failed. I quit Popcorn and launched Toast choosing the same TS folder and this time I tried the same disk that allegedly failed.

Toast worked flawlessly.

What is the exact error you are receiving?

Toast 7 and Popcorn work very differently. In Toast, which format are you using, DVD-ROM or VIDEO_TS folder format in Video? In Popcorn, which format and do you have Fit-to-Disc on or off.

When you say "disk" I assume you mean "disc" as in DVD (disk is actually hard disk), correct?

The error that I am getting is:

This drive reported an error

Sense Key = Medium Error

Sense Code = 0x73, 0x03

In regard to Toast format it's "DVD-Video from Video_TS". I never have problems with this.

In terms of write speed I always use 4x DVD

Under advanced I have "Buffer underrun protection" checked and "Display Recorder Settings before writing" checked. I also have have audio write mode checked for "TAO"

In Popcorn 2 the Video Source is "Video_TS Folder". I have Fit to DVD video Compression checked.

In terms of write speed I have tried 4x DVD, 2x DVD and 1x DVD

Under advanced I have "Buffer underrun protection" checked and "Display Recorder Settings before writing" checked.

This error is almost always a problem with the drive and the media. That being said, if it works in Toast, it should work in Popcorn. If you always use a write speed, you may want to try best. I also suggest deleting the Roxio Toast and Roxio Popcorn Pref.

It's possible that the data in Popcorn is not compressed enough and since there is too much data, you get a medium error. Is suggest making a disc image first, then put the image in Popcorn and see if that works.

If that works, you know something is going on in the compression. Some times data can't be compressed as well.

Also, Toast and Popcorn save the DVD size in the plist. If you use a DVD+R, then a DVD-R or a DVD+-RW, it's possible Popcorn is confused. Popcorn should compress to the smallest size always, but one never nows.

It could also be something with the layer break. Popcorn may do it differently then Toast 7 since it is a new engine.

I tried everything that you suggested and it just does not work. Same disk error. I deleted all of the plists from both popcorn and toast and relaunched popcorn.

I tried to burn a TS file that was only 4.27GB that is "identical to original" and early on I get the disk error. This time however it destroyed the disk so I put a new disk and burned with toast with no problems.

I tried everything that you suggested and it just does not work. Same disk error. I deleted all of the plists from both popcorn and toast and relaunched popcorn.

I tried to burn a TS file that was only 4.27GB that is "identical to original" and early on I get the disk error. This time however it destroyed the disk so I put a new disk and burned with toast with no problems.

I'm going to pickup a Pioneer DVR-108 tomorrow and test.... I'll let you know the result on this side.

I'm Having the same problem. Mine freezes at writing lead-in and I get:

Sense Key = Medium Error

Sense Code = 0x73, 0x03

I am trying to burn a TS_Folder. I have also tried all of the suggestions recommended, heres the run down on my machine just in case someone has any other ideas.

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: Power Mac G5

Machine Model: PowerMac7,3

CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)

Number Of CPUs: 2

CPU Speed: 2.3 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 3 GB

Bus Speed: 1.15 GHz

Boot ROM Version: 5.2.4f1

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.6 (8I127)

Kernel Version: Darwin 8.6.0

Toast 7.02 Popcorn 2.0

I would be greatful for any help

Just an update: I trashed the whole application and reinstalled Popcorn 2. It finally worked and hopefully it will continue to work.

oops

Popcorn 2 is failing again. I spoke too soon !!!

Edited by regismcd

Just an update: I trashed the whole application and reinstalled Popcorn 2. It finally worked and hopefully it will continue to work.

oops

Popcorn 2 is failing again. I spoke too soon !!!

Thanks for the re-update, we're looking at this now....

I trashed the whole app again; trashed all plists related to Toast and Popcorn and for that matter anything Roxio. I then reinstalled the app to a partition of a disk with more room ( I always had the temporary storage going to a partition with plenty of GBs but the app was in a partition with about 5 GB. It's now in a partition with about 20 GB. everything seems to work for now.

I'm pulling out original disks from my library that I had already backed up to try it out and so far I've been able to back up 3 disks in a row.

Fingers crossed

I trashed the whole app again; trashed all plists related to Toast and Popcorn and for that matter anything Roxio. I then reinstalled the app to a partition of a disk with more room ( I always had the temporary storage going to a partition with plenty of GBs but the app was in a partition with about 5 GB. It's now in a partition with about 20 GB. everything seems to work for now.

I'm pulling out original disks from my library that I had already backed up to try it out and so far I've been able to back up 3 disks in a row.

Fingers crossed

Still working? And thanks for the info you sent...

Same thing is happening to me ("the drive reported an error: sense key = MEDIUM ERROR sense code = 0x73, 0x03"). I am running Popcorn 2 on a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0 GHz (PowerPC) running OS 10.4.6 with 3.5 GB RAM and 30 GB free HD space. I have tried using a variety of media including Memorex, Sony, and TDK (both -R and +R). Using a Pioneer DVR-107D. I have many coasters now.

I deleted all popcorn preferences and reinstalled the program itself. Still no luck.

Edited by erikrocks1

Just an update on my disk errors !

I've gotten into a routine now that requires that I trash the whole application of Popcorn 2 every few days. I have to go searching for all of the related plists and preferences for both Toast and Popcorn just to get the Popcorn program to work again.

This is really annoying as I have never had to trash a program and reinstall it since the Mac OS 9 days. I've been using OS X for about 4 years now and Popcorn 2 is the only program that seems to get "corupted".

What's also annoying is that as I read this web page many others seem to have similar problems and I have yet to see any real constructive advice coming from you folks at Roxio.

I know that you are all well trained to say "It's the media" to every person who has a problem, but how about looking at your own program and make the right fix. This program was just not ready for prime time.

I dont know. I think the folks at roxio have been very attentive to you on this issue and with the information you provided seem to be looking into it.

Edited by frenchtoastwithjam

Attentive yes, helpful no.

If you look at the date of my first post on this issue (April 15th) there has been no solutions. Granted I have not posted for awhile although l have been reading other people's problems and many have been similar to mine. I stand by my last post. I don't know of any other programs in OS X where you are deleting preferences in order to get any results.

What solutions have been presented here other than the tried and true mantra "Try different media."

Excuse me for dropping in on this thread.

On more then one occasion while trying to burn with Toast 7.0.2 ( still not sure I want to buy PopCorn 2 ) I am given error messages such as

Sense Key = Medium Error

Sense Code = ( I never copied these numbers for myself )

Just exactly is that programmer trying to tell me.

Does "Medium Error" mean I am using a bad CD or DVD?

Is there someway to "pre-test" the CD or DVD I want to use to burn ?

What do I do with those "Sense Code" numbers ?

Once again, excuse me for dropping in on this thread.

Edited by macmidiguy

Excuse me for dropping in on this thread.

On more then one occasion while trying to burn with Toast 7.0.2 ( still not sure I want to buy PopCorn 2 ) I am given error messages such as

Sense Key = Medium Error

Sense Code = ( I never copied these numbers for myself )

Just exactly is that programmer trying to tell me.

Does "Medium Error" mean I am using a bad CD or DVD?

Is there someway to "pre-test" the CD or DVD I want to use to burn ?

What do I do with those "Sense Code" numbers ?

Once again, excuse me for dropping in on this thread.

When you insert your blank DVD click select Disc Info from the Recorder menu. In the window that appears there is a link to a page on videohelp.com where user reports on that specific media are posted.

When you insert your blank DVD click select Disc Info from the Recorder menu. In the window that appears there is a link to a page on videohelp.com where user reports on that specific media are posted.

I also just upgraded from Popcorn 1 to version 2. I have a G5 2.5GHz running 10.4.6 with a Pioneer DVD-R 109. I recorded several DVDs in iDVD at the weekend all sucessfully, in fact until now I never had a issue with the drive or even a failed burn.

One of the DVDs I made in iDVD was on a Dual Layer disk so I decided to compress it with Popcorn 2 so I have a backup. I extracted the DVD to my hard disk and Popcorn recompresses but I get a buffer under run error as soon as the compression finishes. I tried three times with the same results.

I have tried trashing the two preference files in my home folder without success. I then tried saving as a disk image. The resulting file mounts and plays in DVD Player OK. I tried burning in Popcorn and got a buffer underrun error again. I tried Toast 6.1.1 and it advised that the disk was not big enough, 4.5GB needed 4.4GB available.

I have now tried trashing and re-installing Popcorn 2 and I still get the same error when trying to burn the disk image.

I take my DVD burnt in iDVD on a dual layer disk which contains 3 60 minutes videos.

I extract it to one hard disk.

I load Popcorn 2 and show it the folder as a source and choose single layer.

I choose a disk image and give it a location on a second hard disk.

It compresses successfully making a .toast image file.

Toast can't burn it as it is 4.5GB and a blank DVD-R only holds 4.4GB!

The Finder shows the file as 4.46GB (4,785,504,256 bytes)

There must be something going wrong with Popcorn 2 here!

iDVD uses PCM audio and it can't be compressed anymore. That is the problem. I believe Popcorn gives a warning about this before compressing.