6 replies to this topic

#1 Basic Roxie

Basic Roxie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:52 AM

Hi,

Roxio Creator Basic v9 stopped working (read: copying) one day. It makes a temporary copy of the disk I want to copy, but after inserting the blank disc (DVD-R or DVD+R, both are acceptable), it does not start burning, but asks again to insert a blank disk ...
I've already checked for driver updates, but the driver is up to date.  huh.gif

#2 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:47 AM

1. If you have a Basic Version, that means it came with some hardware - like a computer or burner - and the provider has purchased the rights to distribute it and accepted the responsibility to support it - which is helpful, because they often will make changs to it compared to the Full Version (usually deleting capabilities) and they (the OEM [Oriignal Equipment Mfgr] are the only ones who know what-all is in it.  Have you checked with the OEM?

2.  Has this worked for DVDs before, or have you not tried it before?

3.  What is the id string of your burner?  Just to be sure it is a DVD burner, not a DVD ROM.

4.  Have you checked for firmware updates for the burner (this is NOT the same as driver updates).

Lynn

#3 tbrewst

tbrewst

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:00 AM

If it reads it (temp copy) but won't write it then there could just be a problem with the drive itself.
RIP Johnny Winter

Terry

64 bitWindows 8.1 OS
AMD FX-8320 8 core 3.5Ghz processor with Arctic Freezer 64 Pro cooling fan
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 AM3+ motherboard
Galaxy  GeForce GTX 550 Ti video card with 1Gb memory
8Gb G Skill Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 RAM
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD drive
1Tb Hitachi SATA hard drive
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray drive
Lite-On iHAS224-06 SATA DVD drive
Rosewill Destroyer case
Cambridge Soundworks THX 5.1 speaker system
Onboard Realtek HD audio
I-inc iH-252HPB 25" widescreen monitor connected via HDMI
Samsung 2525W Laser Printer

#4 Basic Roxie

Basic Roxie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE (lynn98109 @ Dec 10 2008, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. If you have a Basic Version, that means it came with some hardware - like a computer or burner - and the provider has purchased the rights to distribute it and accepted the responsibility to support it - which is helpful, because they often will make changs to it compared to the Full Version (usually deleting capabilities) and they (the OEM [Oriignal Equipment Mfgr] are the only ones who know what-all is in it.  Have you checked with the OEM?

2.  Has this worked for DVDs before, or have you not tried it before?

3.  What is the id string of your burner?  Just to be sure it is a DVD burner, not a DVD ROM.

4.  Have you checked for firmware updates for the burner (this is NOT the same as driver updates).

Lynn

Hi Lynn,

1. That's correct - it came with the HP laptop (Pavillion tx 1000, op.sys. W.Vista Home) and I have not checked with OEM

2. Yes it worked before, also labelling (Lightscribe). That's why it was an unexpected and unpleasant surpsise for me.

3. A small window pops up with the notice (after a while I've inserted the blank disk), that I should insert BLANK disk, and theres also the list of the accepted formats and both, DVD-R and DVD+R are listed.

4. I have not checked the firmware updates for the burner. Could you please assist me how to do that?

But for the reason, it was OK a couple of months before, I do not understand, what could possibly went wrong now ...

Thanks for your concern anyway  smile.gif

Jaanus

#5 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:00 PM

The Firmware is what recognizes the media.  When new media comes out, the firmware has to be updated to recognize it, or it has a somewhat puzzled look  huh.gif  and asks you to insert something it recognizes.

To get the drive id string, right-click on My Computer > properties > Hardware > device manager > DVD/CD-ROM Drives (click on the + beside the icon, and it will show you the id string for each drive).  Quote it exactly, upper case and lower case, space for space.

DellTalk community Forum is here -
http://en.community.dell.com/forums/

Lynn

#6 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,375 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE (Basic Roxie @ Dec 10 2008, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Lynn,

1. That's correct - it came with the HP laptop (Pavillion tx 1000, op.sys. W.Vista Home) and I have not checked with OEM

2. Yes it worked before, also labelling (Lightscribe). That's why it was an unexpected and unpleasant surpsise for me.

3. A small window pops up with the notice (after a while I've inserted the blank disk), that I should insert BLANK disk, and theres also the list of the accepted formats and both, DVD-R and DVD+R are listed.

4. I have not checked the firmware updates for the burner. Could you please assist me how to do that?

But for the reason, it was OK a couple of months before, I do not understand, what could possibly went wrong now ...

Thanks for your concern anyway  smile.gif

Jaanus

First, go to the following link, download and install the PXengine update, reboot, and see if all is well.

http://kb.roxio.com/content//kb/General%20...mation/000070GN

If not, go to HP's website, and see if there is a firmware update for your DVD burner.

Edited by grandpabruce, 10 December 2008 - 12:08 PM.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#7 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,185 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:08 PM

A Drives firmware never has a "puzzled look" ! It either recognizes the MID and it's Available Write Descriptors or defaults to a generic write strategy..

cd
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users