6 replies to this topic

#1 KGLR

KGLR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:13 AM

Hello,

I would like to be able to print two wallet photos on 4x6 paper. They would both fit, and I wouldn't have to use 8.5 x 11 paper or only print one on a 4x6 piece of paper. The only templates seem to be for 8.5 x 11 or A4 paper. Is there any way to create a custom template for 4x6 paper that allows for multiple photos? I have Adobe Photoshop CS. Can I create a template in Photoshop, and then import it or save it with the other EMC 10 Suite templates.

Any creative thinking is welcomed.

Thanks,

Ken

#2 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,424 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE (KGLR @ Dec 23 2008, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello,

I would like to be able to print two wallet photos on 4x6 paper. They would both fit, and I wouldn't have to use 8.5 x 11 paper or only print one on a 4x6 piece of paper. The only templates seem to be for 8.5 x 11 or A4 paper. Is there any way to create a custom template for 4x6 paper that allows for multiple photos? I have Adobe Photoshop CS. Can I create a template in Photoshop, and then import it or save it with the other EMC 10 Suite templates.

Any creative thinking is welcomed.

Thanks,

Ken

karri has an answer to that here (link).

PC  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, 250G SSD,  EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012, Creator NXT2 Pro. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus and others.

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#3 karri

karri

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,517 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (sknis @ Dec 23 2008, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
karri has an answer to that here (link).

Steve, you may be happy to hear I've come up with an easier way that doesn't include any math smile.gif

Ken, this is not a template, but you may want to give it a try. It's a pretty quick process, and PhotoSuite does most of the work for you.

Open PhotoSuite and go to File > Photo Projects.

Step 1. Select Collage > Blank. Click Next.

Step 2. Select Custom Size. Enter your paper measurements in Width/Height/Units. Select an orientation. Click Next.

Step 3. Add images. Resize the images however you like. Click Next.

Step 4. Click Print.

In the Print Dialog window, In the Size drop down, choose Borderless 4 x 6.

Everything else should be filled in correctly for you at this point.
Dell Studio XPS (desktop)
Windows 7 | Core i7 | 12 GB Memory |
ATI HD 5870

Dell Studio XPS (laptop)
Windows 7 | Core i7 | 4 GB Memory
| ATI HD 5730

Roxio
Creator 2012

Creator 2009-12 / Easy Media Creator Tutorials
Roxio Tutorials on Youtube
Roxio Central Learning Center

Roxio MyMoments Tips and Tutorials
Beginner Tips for VideoWave and PhotoSuite
Roxio Creator Getting Started Guide
Roxio Creator User Guide

#4 KGLR

KGLR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:04 PM

Steve and Karri,

Thank you both for the quick response. Karri I'm not afraid of math, and like your creative solution. Sorry I wasn't able to locate it when I did a search before posting. The second option you mention is one I actually did yesterday when I was working through this problem. It worked fine, and seems simple enough, although getting the exact dimensions of the photos took a little tweeking. I actually found it easier to make a copy of the photos, and crop them to the exact measurements needed before adding them to the canvas. As you know some programs / templates allow you to slide the photo around to the left, right, up, or down.

I wonder if it would be possible to create an overlay of the exact custom canvas dimensions (4x6) with cutouts for the two (3x2) Wallet photos. That way you might be able to drop the two photos onto the canvas and then size them or move them around behind the (white) overlay. If I save it as a project file, I might just be able to go in later and "replace" the photos for a new printout. Worth a try either way.

It may seem minor, but it bugs me to only print one photo on a 4x6 piece of paper. Friends or family frequently request and updated photo of my daughter, and I'd like to have a quick and easy solution to print 2 wallet size photos. I'd still like to be able to create a custom photo template for a 4x6 piece of photo paper that can be added to the other 8.5 x 11 options.

Thank you both again, and happy holidays.

Ken

#5 karri

karri

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,517 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE (KGLR @ Dec 23 2008, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steve and Karri,

Thank you both for the quick response. Karri I'm not afraid of math, and like your creative solution. Sorry I wasn't able to locate it when I did a search before posting. The second option you mention is one I actually did yesterday when I was working through this problem. It worked fine, and seems simple enough, although getting the exact dimensions of the photos took a little tweeking. I actually found it easier to make a copy of the photos, and crop them to the exact measurements needed before adding them to the canvas. As you know some programs / templates allow you to slide the photo around to the left, right, up, or down.

I wonder if it would be possible to create an overlay of the exact custom canvas dimensions (4x6) with cutouts for the two (3x2) Wallet photos. That way you might be able to drop the two photos onto the canvas and then size them or move them around behind the (white) overlay. If I save it as a project file, I might just be able to go in later and "replace" the photos for a new printout. Worth a try either way.

It may seem minor, but it bugs me to only print one photo on a 4x6 piece of paper. Friends or family frequently request and updated photo of my daughter, and I'd like to have a quick and easy solution to print 2 wallet size photos. I'd still like to be able to create a custom photo template for a 4x6 piece of photo paper that can be added to the other 8.5 x 11 options.

Thank you both again, and happy holidays.

Ken

You should be able to slide the photos at will smile.gif

Try this, follow my above steps until you get to Step 3. Add your 2 photos but instead of resizing them just click Next to Step 4. In Step 4, instead of clicking on Print, click on Edit in PhotoSuite. Once in PhotoSuite, just Select each photo and type in the dimensions for each (3x2 inches or whatever) and arrange however you want on the page. You can use the Positioning tool to center. You can jot down the offset numbers or just leave them, as I believe they will stay where you put them (not 100% on that) for the next time you do the same thing.

Adding the overlay should be no problem:

Predefined shapes > drag out a rectangle to cover the canvas then go to
Mask/Cutout by Shape and cut out the size you want over the images (cookie cut it out)
Hint: double check to be sure you are on the correct layer.

So the new steps are:

Open PhotoSuite and go to File > Photo Projects.

Step 1. Select Collage > Blank. Click Next.

Step 2. Select Custom Size. Enter your paper measurements in Width/Height/Units. Select an orientation. Click Next.

Step 3. Add images.  Click Next.

Step 4. Click Edit in PhotoSuite.

Now select each photo one at a time and type in the dimensions for each (3x2 inches roughly) and arrange however you want on the page. Use the Positioning tool to center as mentioned above, but you probably won't need it if you are going to make the overlay with the cutouts.

Add the overlay layer.

Go to File > Print.

In the Print Dialog window, In the Size drop down, choose Borderless 4 x 6. Print.

Save the overlay by itself as a transparent png for reuse.

Edited by karri, 23 December 2008 - 05:00 PM.

ATI HD 5870

Dell Studio XPS (laptop)
| ATI HD 5730

Roxio
Creator 2012

Beginner Tips for VideoWave and PhotoSuite
Roxio Creator Getting Started Guide
Roxio Creator User Guide

#6 KGLR

KGLR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:38 PM

Karri,

This works great. You can actually fit 4 wallet size photos on a 4x6 canvas without any overlay, or create a 4x6 overlay with two 2x3 cutouts. With the overlay, you can move the photos around in the background without necessarily needing to crop them first.

Thanks again. I hope this helps others as well.

Ken

#7 karri

karri

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,517 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 05:22 AM

QUOTE (KGLR @ Dec 24 2008, 12:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Karri,

This works great. You can actually fit 4 wallet size photos on a 4x6 canvas without any overlay, or create a 4x6 overlay with two 2x3 cutouts. With the overlay, you can move the photos around in the background without necessarily needing to crop them first.

Thanks again. I hope this helps others as well.

Ken

Great Ken ~ Thanks for letting us know that works for you. The Blank collage comes in handy and is an easier work around than the earlier one. Enjoy the holidays smile.gif

ATI HD 5870

Dell Studio XPS (laptop)
| ATI HD 5730

Roxio
Creator 2012