khaehl

Roxio Videowave Stopped Working On Dell 8250

I posted this at the Dell support boards, but haven't received a reply. Maybe someone here can help.

I have been using Roxio Videowave infrequently since I purchased my Dell Dimension 8250 in 2003. It has worked great up to now. Now when I connect my Sony miniDV camera to the firewire connection and try to capture, the video is jerky and the sound cuts in and out (way more than just a skipped frame or two). When I try to play back videos I captured successfully in the past, it does the same thing.

I am assuming some Windows XP or Media Player upgrade has caused this. Has anyone seen this problem, and are there any known workarounds?

If I can't fix it, I don't mind upgrading to a new video package, but would like to know if a new package will work with the Atlantis capture card. Anyone have experience?

My specs:

Dell Dimension 8250, 1 GB RAM, 2x500 GB HDD, nVidia 7600 GT

Dell Movie Studio Plus with Roxio Videowave 1.6.767.1 and EMuzed Capture card.

Windows XP SP3, WMP 11

Many thanks!

Kevin

Edited by khaehl

I posted this at the Dell support boards, but haven't received a reply. Maybe someone here can help.

I have been using Roxio Videowave infrequently since I purchased my Dell Dimension 8250 in 2003. It has worked great up to now. Now when I connect my Sony miniDV camera to the firewire connection and try to capture, the video is jerky and the sound cuts in and out (way more than just a skipped frame or two). When I try to play back videos I captured successfully in the past, it does the same thing.

I am assuming some Windows XP or Media Player upgrade has caused this. Has anyone seen this problem, and are there any known workarounds?

If I can't fix it, I don't mind upgrading to a new video package, but would like to know if a new package will work with the Atlantis capture card. Anyone have experience?

My specs:

Dell Dimension 8250, 1 GB RAM, 2x500 GB HDD, nVidia 7600 GT

Dell Movie Studio Plus with Roxio Videowave 1.6.767.1 and EMuzed Capture card.

Windows XP SP3, WMP 11

Many thanks!

Kevin

If you have IE 7 or WMP 11 installed they will break Videowave (version 7 or earlier).

If you have IE 7 or WMP 11 installed they will break Videowave (version 7 or earlier).

Thanks for that interesting bit of news. I am using IE7 and WMP11. Any idea why the conflict? Is it something that can be fixed such as replacing a codec? Any chance of a patch?

It can ONLY be fixed by removing those two programs, and probably by a re-install of the Roxio s/w

IE7 and WMP11 are backports from Vista and messed up the XP kernel, killing a number of apps on the way

It can ONLY be fixed by removing those two programs, and probably by a re-install of the Roxio s/w

IE7 and WMP11 are backports from Vista and messed up the XP kernel, killing a number of apps on the way

That's frustrating, but thanks for the info. I'm not keen on removing IE7 and WMP11, so I purchased a new video editor and installed it last night, and it seems to be working now.

Personally I wouldn't let either of those two loose in an XP system. In Vista there is no choice, but I still avoid using them

For a browser, I use Firefox (which doesn't have the gaping security holes that IE does) and as for WMP11, that is so riddled with DRM that it's a miracle it can handle anything at all

Guest ml

You've got WinXP SP3.

You're going to have to UNINSTALL SP3 before you can uninstall IE 7. The links are here: http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=23162

Microsoft changed the basic way that IE 7 works so that it would work with Vista. Unfortunately, when they did that, they 'broke' a lot of programs not just the Roxio ones.

From what I've read about the 'security' of IE 7, you might be better off using another browser.

The Dell Movie Studio is still a good program and unless you're planning on buying a new computer with all the 'bells and whistles' you need to use the newer video editing programs, I'd recommend uninstalling SP3, IE 7 and perhaps WMP 11 and then see if the program will work.

If you have to uninstall and reinstall the Movie Studio, you'll have to 'relink' the original files with the program by using the 'browse' in Movie Studio. Of course, if you're starting a new production, that won't matter.