• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 khaehl

khaehl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:46 AM

I posted this at the Dell support boards, but haven't received a reply.  Maybe someone here can help.

I have been using Roxio Videowave infrequently since I purchased my Dell Dimension 8250 in 2003.  It has worked great up to now.  Now when I connect my Sony miniDV camera to the firewire connection and try to capture, the video is jerky and the sound cuts in and out (way more than just a skipped frame or two).  When I try to play back videos I captured successfully in the past, it does the same thing.

I am assuming some Windows XP or Media Player upgrade has caused this.  Has anyone seen this problem, and are there any known workarounds?

If I can't fix it, I don't mind upgrading to a new video package, but would like to know if a new package will work with the Atlantis capture card.  Anyone have experience?

My specs:

Dell Dimension 8250, 1 GB RAM, 2x500 GB HDD, nVidia 7600 GT

Dell Movie Studio Plus with Roxio Videowave 1.6.767.1 and EMuzed Capture card.

Windows XP SP3, WMP 11

Many thanks!

Kevin

Edited by khaehl, 27 December 2008 - 04:46 AM.

#2 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,787 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE (khaehl @ Dec 27 2008, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I posted this at the Dell support boards, but haven't received a reply.  Maybe someone here can help.

I have been using Roxio Videowave infrequently since I purchased my Dell Dimension 8250 in 2003.  It has worked great up to now.  Now when I connect my Sony miniDV camera to the firewire connection and try to capture, the video is jerky and the sound cuts in and out (way more than just a skipped frame or two).  When I try to play back videos I captured successfully in the past, it does the same thing.

I am assuming some Windows XP or Media Player upgrade has caused this.  Has anyone seen this problem, and are there any known workarounds?

If I can't fix it, I don't mind upgrading to a new video package, but would like to know if a new package will work with the Atlantis capture card.  Anyone have experience?

My specs:

Dell Dimension 8250, 1 GB RAM, 2x500 GB HDD, nVidia 7600 GT

Dell Movie Studio Plus with Roxio Videowave 1.6.767.1 and EMuzed Capture card.

Windows XP SP3, WMP 11

Many thanks!

Kevin

If you have IE 7 or WMP 11 installed they will break Videowave (version 7 or earlier).

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#3 khaehl

khaehl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (myguggi @ Dec 27 2008, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you have IE 7 or WMP 11 installed they will break Videowave (version 7 or earlier).

Thanks for that interesting bit of news.  I am using IE7 and WMP11.  Any idea why the conflict?  Is it something that can be fixed such as replacing a codec?  Any chance of a patch?

#4 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:14 AM

It can ONLY be fixed by removing those two programs, and probably by a re-install of the Roxio s/w

IE7 and WMP11 are backports from Vista and messed up the XP kernel, killing a number of apps on the way
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
Intel I7 950 on Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo
12 GB Three Channel DDRAM
Radeon HD4850 512 MB GDR3 graphics
Signalink USB Audio Codec for ham radio connection
1 x 160 GB, 1 x 330 GB, 1 x 400 GB IDE drives
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
LG HL-DT-ST GGW-H20L BD-RE drive
22" Acer P223W monitor

EMC 7.5 on Windows XP 32 SP3
EMC10 on Windows XP64 SP2
Creator 2011 on Windows 7 Ultimate
ECD6 on Gentoo Linux (running under VMWare)

#5 khaehl

khaehl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (gi7omy @ Dec 27 2008, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It can ONLY be fixed by removing those two programs, and probably by a re-install of the Roxio s/w

IE7 and WMP11 are backports from Vista and messed up the XP kernel, killing a number of apps on the way

That's frustrating, but thanks for the info.  I'm not keen on removing IE7 and WMP11, so I purchased a new video editor and installed it last night, and it seems to be working now.

#6 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:24 AM

Personally I wouldn't let either of those two loose in an XP system. In Vista there is no choice, but I still avoid using them

For a browser, I use Firefox (which doesn't have the gaping security holes that IE does) and as for WMP11, that is so riddled with DRM that it's a miracle it can handle anything at all
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
Intel I7 950 on Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo
12 GB Three Channel DDRAM
Radeon HD4850 512 MB GDR3 graphics
Signalink USB Audio Codec for ham radio connection
1 x 160 GB, 1 x 330 GB, 1 x 400 GB IDE drives
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
LG HL-DT-ST GGW-H20L BD-RE drive
22" Acer P223W monitor

EMC 7.5 on Windows XP 32 SP3
EMC10 on Windows XP64 SP2
Creator 2011 on Windows 7 Ultimate
ECD6 on Gentoo Linux (running under VMWare)

#7 ml

ml

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,048 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:11 PM

You've got WinXP SP3.

You're going to have to UNINSTALL SP3 before you can uninstall IE 7.   The links are here: http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=23162

Microsoft changed the basic way that IE 7 works so that it would work with Vista.   Unfortunately, when they did that, they 'broke' a lot of programs not just the Roxio ones.

From what I've read about the 'security' of IE 7, you might be better off using another browser.

The Dell Movie Studio is still a good program and unless you're planning on buying a new computer with all the 'bells and whistles' you need to use the newer video editing programs, I'd recommend uninstalling SP3, IE 7 and perhaps WMP 11 and then see if the program will work.

If you have to uninstall and reinstall the Movie Studio, you'll have to 'relink' the original files with the program by using the 'browse' in Movie Studio.   Of course, if you're starting a new production, that won't matter.
ml

flying squirrel......"It's more of a gliding thing....."

Intel® Core™2 Duo 2.2 Ghz desktop processor E4500;
3GB DDR2 memory;
DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive;
500GB SATA 7200 rpm hard drive;
Windows Vista Home Premium ,
ATI RADEON HD 2400,Built-in TV tuner , High-definition audio (8-speaker support), HDMI
Multiformat media reader,
IEEE 1394 (FireWire) interface and 6 high-speed USB 2.0 ports,
PCI card with 4 USB 2.0 and 2 IEEE 1394 ports,
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users